Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2014 OT v2.0 - Official Bitch & Moan thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 sueysmithers

Am I the only one here that hasn't done Q8 for accounting?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Mirror Image

I've had man flu since grad night :( I've got no work since then and I'm missing out on extra classes being run this week. Is there a worse time to be sick :(

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭KellyR18

Has anyone got any tips for learning Bio Genetics chapter, we just glanced over it in glass but seen as it comes up every year I want to know how to do it. Any got any tips/tricks to fully understand it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

KellyR18 wrote: »
    Has anyone got any tips for learning Bio Genetics chapter, we just glanced over it in glass but seen as it comes up every year I want to know how to do it. Any got any tips/tricks to fully understand it?

Same here...No clue how to do it tbh:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Geekness1234

It's a genuine mystery to me and it's the only chapter I haven't gone over properly. I'm planning on avoiding it like the plague to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 hmunran

My advice would be just keep doing exam questions (even if you don't know how to do them) and have the marking scheme/your book open in front of you. Genetics is a mystery to me too, but the questions that come up are hugely repetitive.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

As in the genetic crosses chapter? I like that chapter :p

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭LoveLamps

"Lady macbeth is responsible for the fall of her husband"
    Im struggling with this :/ i have
    Yes: convinces him to kill duncan
    No: witches tempt him, hos ruthless ambition, naivety (sp?) when trusting witches, he continues with murders without consulting lady macbeth

Im thinking of partially agreeing and largely disagreeing by including all the points above BUT then its as if the question is "macbeth is the master of his own downfall"
    What do ya think? Dont want to lose marks for purpose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

LoveLamps wrote: »
    No: witches tempt him, hos ruthless ambition, naivety (sp?) when trusting witches, he continues with murders without consulting lady macbeth

Im thinking of partially agreeing and largely disagreeing by including all the points above BUT then its as if the question is "macbeth is the master of his own downfall"

As far as I know you have every right to disagree, they can't force you to have an opinion you don't have :pac:
    All I can think of for yes would be that she acts as a catalyst, so to speak, as in even though he eventually acts independent of her, her actions near the start of the play and convincing him to commit regicide are ultimately the reason for his downfall, because everything that happens afterwards is a repercussion of the murder :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

Everyone who's having genetics woes, if ye have anything that's confusing ye that you can't wrap your heads around, I'm willing to try and explain, genetics is my favourite chapter so I have a pretty in depth knowledge of it and have helped many a person with it :pac:

So yeah fire away if yeve any questions :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lara_15

I would agree initially and say that she was the main influence for him killing duncan cos every time he talked himself out of it she talked him back into it, but as the play progressed and he became more powerful she had less and less of an influence and he became evil all by himself ;)

Grand i suppose ill agree and disagree then
    It would be extremely difficult i think to get 4/5 pages out of agreeing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

(I may go all fancy English in this post just to get into paper 2 mode :p)

I would contrast the witches' influence on Macbeth's actions with Lady Macbeth's influence.

All the witches really did was tempt him, as you've said. If it wasn't for Lady Macbeth's illogical rhetoric in act 1, scene 7 when Macbeth had essentially talked himself out of committing regicide the witches' plan would have been fruitless.

You could also argue that it is Lady Macbeth's ruthless ambition that leads to Macbeth's downfall as opposed to Macbeth's own ambition. I never agreed with the assertion that Macbeth had "ruthless ambition", he seems to just see no way out of the situation he got himself into by killing Duncan so he found it necessary to keep the crown by any means possible. In my opinion it was Lady Macbeth's ambition and lust for power that caused Macbeth to usurp the throne. He doesn't seem to exhibit any of the evil or power-hungry characteristics that Lady Macbeth appears to have in abundance, except the natural yearning for an ascension in status which arguably all humans crave.

It's also plausible that Lady Macbeth is responsible for Macbeth's evil deeds towards the end of the play as she was the one who led him down the path of malevolence when he seemed to finally realise that that was the wrong route to go down, it is her fault that he is in "blood stepp'd in so far... Returning were as tedious... etc. etc.".

If I were you I would continuously link back to Lady Macbeth when possible, as she is the character mentioned in the question, but there certainly isn't any suggestion that you should only write about Lady Macbeth and her relationship with Macbeth.

I couldn't see you losing many purpose marks as long as you make it clear that what you're saying is a clear reason why/why not you agree or disagree with the given statement.

what a pile of shįt :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

Wow, Oncex and thelad95, you guys seem motivated. I'm going to try to use the thought of repeating as a motivating factor because you guys seem to realise just how difficult the whole thing is.

I went to school today at 9am and did a good day's work. The vice principal was nice enough to allow us to have a room for the day so I did Business, Irish, and Maths. Going to tackle some Accounting sole trader Qs and some English Comparative for the evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭chatterboxxx95

Okay, ya know for for irish how we have to know a bit about the poet and their works... do we need to know about the authors of the prós aswell?? There's a small paragraph in my book about them which I noticed for the first time this morning :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭Saskatchewan

Hi, just wondering if anyone has a list of words and/or sean fhocails that have come up in the HL Irish Sceal section. Would be greatly appreciated!

Also is there a definite list of trigometirc proofs? I've completed both the educate.ie exam papers and edco exam papers so just trying to see if they've left anything out! Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Okay, ya know for for irish how we have to know a bit about the poet and their works... do we need to know about the authors of the prós aswell?? There's a small paragraph in my book about them which I noticed for the first time this morning :confused:

Nah you dont need to know about pros authors. Clare greally my irish teacher in the insitiute didnt put it in her notes and she seems to be always right:p You do need to know a bit about poet authors though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

Does anyone know a general rule for when you need to accumulate or discount in financial maths? It's really confusing me :confused:

Someone on here said that yeats is likely because its his anniversary.... Anniversary of what? You have the anniversary of your birth and death every year :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

I have a weird ass study habit, I only started making flash cards about a week or two ago, but I have them all seprated into different subjectas and leave them beside my door on a table, EVERY TIME I LEAVE MY BEDROOM (wether it be during study hours, or during break hours) I pick up and shuffle each section of flash cards and pick three cards from each pile then answer the questions on them, is this a good way to learn? only been studying the last three weeks and only need like 250 points also please help me on genitics geneitics guy <3

• Advertisement

Someone on here said that yeats is likely because its his anniversary.... Anniversary of what? You have the anniversary of your birth and death every year :confused:

I think it's the 75th anniversary of his death.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Striving470

Can too much coffee give you a heart attack?

Can too much coffee give you a heart attack?

Ehm, yes... Why are you asking...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Badwulf wrote: »
    I have a weird ass study habit, I only started making flash cards about a week or two ago, but I have them all seprated into different subjectas and leave them beside my door on a table, EVERY TIME I LEAVE MY BEDROOM (wether it be during study hours, or during break hours) I pick up and shuffle each section of flash cards and pick three cards from each pile then answer the questions on them, is this a good way to learn? only been studying the last three weeks and only need like 250 points also please help me on genitics geneitics guy <3

To be honest, at this stage you may as well leave out genetics. If you concentrate on ecology, photosynthesis/respiration, all plant chapters, human reproduction and the rest of unit 1 and 2 along with a few systems you should be fine. Also something always comes up from one of bacteria/fungi/virus/amoeba. If you learn all this along with the practicals you could get at least a B3.

Hotale.com wrote: »
    Ehm, yes... Why are you asking...?

I've had four and a half cups and I'm wired to the moon...thought the gitteryness would motivate me to study,but the heart palpitations have prevented that.
    On the bright side...12th of June;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I've had four and a half cups and I'm wired to the moon...thought the gitteryness would motivate me to study,but the heart palpitations have prevented that.
    On the bright side...12th of June;)

Are you seriously finished that early just in time for the World Cup?

thelad95 wrote: »

D'you know if we had our LC in 2002 Ireland would be playing Germany during English Paper 1? Wouldn't that be such torture? :pac:

The World Cup in 2002 was actually so good, I remember being 6 and absolutely falling in love with it :D

Yeah,business on 12th then done...could be worse,happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

To be honest, at this stage you may as well leave out genetics. If you concentrate on ecology, photosynthesis/respiration, all plant chapters, human reproduction and the rest of unit 1 and 2 along with a few systems you should be fine. Also something always comes up from one of bacteria/fungi/virus/amoeba. If you learn all this along with the practicals you could get at least a B3.

I have photosythesis, respiration, ecology, ALL of unit 1, ALL of unit 2 cept for genitics learnt off to a TEE. what should I do now?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

While I suppose anyone who feels like it can go all stalkerish and identify a user here (in real life), please don't post about it on thread. This applies across boards, not just this forum. Couple of posts deleted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement