Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2014 OT v2.0 - Official Bitch & Moan thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

I have done nothing today...at all. Absolutely screwed for HL maths though, and depending on a maths paper 1 course on Sunday and a maths paper 2 course the following Sunday for a D3. I'm ok at paper 2 but paper 1 is a complete train wreck for me! Anyone have any tips/advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I have done nothing today...at all. Absolutely screwed for HL maths though, and depending on a maths paper 1 course on Sunday and a maths paper 2 course the following Sunday for a D3. I'm ok at paper 2 but paper 1 is a complete train wreck for me! Anyone have any tips/advice?

Paper one is an abso cnut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Someone said you don't need quotes for the comparative, I'm pretty sure you do. We have about 10-12 long-ish quotes learned off for each text.

Aspiring wrote: »
    Someone said you don't need quotes for the comparative, I'm pretty sure you do. We have about 10-12 long-ish quotes learned off for each text.

If you show indepth knowledge of the texts without quoting it will not affect your grade, our teacher told us that anyway. ILl still add in a couple quotes anyway

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Paper one is an abso cnut

True that! Need to find topics that have a regular occurrence in paper 1, try narrow it down as it's too late at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

True that! Need to find topics that have a regular occurrence in paper 1, try narrow it down as it's too late at this stage.

Complex numbers come up a lot, and there's a lot of calculus.

That seems to be the only pattern.

I wish paper one had more defined topics like how paper 2 does. Like paper two is easy to study because theres little sections that are all very different from eachother like statisstics, co ordinate geo,probablity etc you can study a bit at a time. But paper one all just runs into eachother idk i find it impossible to study

Hotale.com wrote: »
    Complex numbers come up a lot, and there's a lot of calculus.

That seems to be the only pattern.

Noooooooo death by complex numbers and calculus...two topics I absolutely despise of/can't understand

Noooooooo death by complex numbers and calculus...two topics I absolutely despise of/can't understand

Complex numbers are grand :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Huell

Does anybody like finantial maths i think its the worst chapter on paper 1 by far

• Advertisement

Complex numbers are grand :P

I dont think im even gonna try to understand calculus D;

Huell wrote: »
    Does anybody like finantial maths i think its the worst chapter on paper 1 by far

Agree right there. At first, I was alright and understood most of it but it's sort of lost me now...

I used to think it was hard them I just got used to it. My only issue is with figuring out how often an amount of money is compounded, like with beginning/end of month and all that...

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

woke up this morning and I've been puking my guts out, I have some kind of stomach bug, 8 days before the start of the leaving too :( I'm probably gonna get less study done now today as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Am I the only one here who loves Maths paper 1 and despises paper 2. Paper 1 contains more pure Maths whereas paper 2 is full of waffly bullsh*t all over the place. Also, I cannot deal with any question involving geometry. I just don't have any head for it at all. We did an aptitude test in TY and I scored in the 14th percentile for spacial awareness....

However, it is far easier to pick up attempt marks in paper 2. But overall Paper 1 ftw :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

thelad95 wrote: »
    Am I the only one here who loves Maths paper 1 and despises paper 2. Paper 1 contains more pure Maths whereas paper 2 is full of waffly bullsh*t all over the place. Also, I cannot deal with any question involving geometry. I just don't have any head for it at all. We did an aptitude test in TY and I scored in the 14th percentile for spacial awareness....

However, it is far easier to pick up attempt marks in paper 2. But overall Paper 1 ftw :D

I like paper 1, but it doesn't like me back.. :o

thelad95 wrote: »

Paper 1 can be lovely if there's not 3 or more calculus questions, paper 2 can be okay as well but there's a lot more learning involved, if we get a trig proof in paper 2 I'm just skipping or trying to waft it... :P

I haven't studied maths at all besides doing an exam question every 2 or 3 days, is that bad? :P I'm the same with geometry, I think I got one answer correct in the DATS test we did in 4th year :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

The DEB maths mock is the reason I'm scared of maths paper 1.
    Before that I thought it was very straightforward and easy enough.

I've always loved maths but it's crazy to think that I would drop to ordinary level in a split second if it wasn't for the 25 extra points tbh :rolleyes:

That bacteria question....

• Registered Users Posts: 42 courtney95

I've always loved maths but it's crazy to think that I would drop to ordinary level in a split second if it wasn't for the 25 extra points tbh :rolleyes:

The DEB mock has knocked my confidence completely so now I think I'm going to drop to pass on the day because I really don't want to repeat! It's horrible cause I really needed those 25 points but I suppose it's better than failing the whole thing :/

• Advertisement

courtney95 wrote: »
    The DEB mock has knocked my confidence completely so now I think I'm going to drop to pass on the day because I really don't want to repeat! It's horrible cause I really needed those 25 points but I suppose it's better than failing the whole thing :/

What did you get in the pre?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

If we got a paper like that in the real thing then they would be handing us attempt marks for nothing.
    Most people failed and that would not make a great bell curve! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭accountname

The Examcraft Maths paper did the opposite, was feeling complacent enough about maths until I see the state of the DEB paper! Hopefully the real thing will be somewhere in the middle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Huell

It will be very easy to get marks in the maths paper as its the first full year of project maths and they want to show it was a success but there will be parts that are going to be incredibly hard to separate the A's from the B's

It will be very easy to get marks in the maths paper as its the first full year of project maths and they want to show it was a success but there will be parts that are going to be incredibly hard to separate the A's from the B's

Don't think like that. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

This happens in every exam, not just Maths. It's worse if there are no hard parts because you could come out thinking you've got an A1 and end up with a C!! It happens...

• Registered Users Posts: 42 courtney95

What did you get in the pre?

I failed, 31% :/

courtney95 wrote: »
    I failed, 31% :/

Most people got about that in the DEB pre from what I've gathered.

Something like only 2% of higher maths students failed last year, do you think you're the 1 in 50 who'd fail it?

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭LoveLamps

went into school at 10 for english. stayed in til 2 and did a single thing. yay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭cferry3

When does the man put up his predictions on YouTube, Eoin I think he's called, desperate times call for desperate measures!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement