Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2014 OT v2.0 - Official Bitch & Moan thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,774 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Almost as annoying as ADHD replacing the word "bold" recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Ah in fairness that does exist, it's just incredibly over-diagnosed apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Kayleigh..

A lot of people self diagnose social anxiety, when they're actually just shy :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

OCD is incredibly deabilitating. Someone who's tidy saying they have it is a bit like someone with a spot saying they have cancer or something.

Macavity. wrote: »
    OCD is incredibly deabilitating. Someone who's tidy saying they have it is a bit like someone with a spot saying they have cancer or something.

A lot of my friends are always like oh you definitely have OCD, and I'm like, no I'm just neat and like everything a certain way. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Kayleigh.. wrote: »
    A lot of people self diagnose social anxiety, when they're actually just shy :rolleyes:

Not really, social anxiety is, as you'd expect, when you get anxious in social situations, it's fairly easy to know if you have it.

Personally I think it's a pile of shite a lot of the time though, my friend claims he has it (and has been diagnosed) but it only affects him when he sees his ex or someone he has had a fight with in the past when we're on a bus/train etc., it never affects him any other time and he's about 10 times more outgoing than me usually. Feeling anxious in those situations is understandable imo, although if he just tried to relax it would sort out the problem completely.

And no I'm not just being an ignorant prick (although I can be! :o), it's easy to see the difference between a real case of social anxiety that has a major effect on them and someone who just thinks their life is much more difficult than anyone else's and could do with a serious dose of the chill pill! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,774 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Ah in fairness that does exist, it's just incredibly over-diagnosed apparently.

Sure there was a lad in my class who almost prided himself on apparently having it, would constantly act up and just use it as an excuse:rolleyes:

Sure there was a lad in my class who almost prided himself on apparently having it, would constantly act up and just use it as an excuse:rolleyes:

Yeah that's the over-diagnosed thing I was getting at :p

Not really, social anxiety is, as you'd expect, when you get anxious in social situations, it's fairly easy to know if you have it.

Personally I think it's a pile of shite a lot of the time though, my friend claims he has it (and has been diagnosed) but it only affects him when he sees his ex or someone he has had a fight with in the past when we're on a bus/train etc., it never affects him any other time and he's about 10 times more outgoing than me usually. Feeling anxious in those situations is understandable imo, although if he just tried to relax it would sort out the problem completely.

And no I'm not just being an ignorant prick (although I can be! :o), it's easy to see the difference between a real case of social anxiety that has a major effect on them and someone who just thinks their life is much more difficult than anyone else's and could do with a serious dose of the chill pill! :p

Social anxiety sucks, it's the reason I got a room by myself for the Leaving Cert, but my doctor just put it down on the form as "exam related anxiety". :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I'm great at acting the ignorant gobshíte, this game should suit me down to the ground :cool:
    Acting?

>_>

<_<

:pac:
    I got stung by a nettle and my finger hurts so much like 4 hours later :eek:
    Dock-leaves, lad ...

Though would have been much more effective if applied immediately.

• Advertisement

Dock-leaves, lad ...

Dock leaves are a life saver for nettle stings <3

Is it true that if you go into the doctor with basically any complaint regarding mental health that they'll diagnose you with something due to the whole "mental illness awareness" stuff going around at the moment? Like a doctor can't really say you're lying if you know what I mean? I heard this the other day and it really sounds plausible...

Is it true that if you go into the doctor with basically any complaint regarding mental health that they'll diagnose you with something due to the whole "mental illness awareness" stuff going around at the moment? Like a doctor can't really say you're lying if you know what I mean? I heard this the other day and it really sounds plausible...

When I went to the doctor I got sent to a psychiatrist in Dublin and then a psychologist and a psychiatrist nearer home :rolleyes:

When I went to the doctor I got sent to a psychiatrist in Dublin and then a psychologist and a psychiatrist nearer home :rolleyes:

So you're telling us you're mad?

:p :rolleyes:

They have a complete hard on for prescribing anti depressants.

They have a complete hard on for prescribing anti depressants.

I suppose it's better to give them to too many people than not giving it to people who genuinely need them...

So you're telling us you're mad?

:p :rolleyes:

Basically :pac:

I love milk :rolleyes:

Basically :pac:

I love milk :rolleyes:

Your madness was a poorly kept secret in fairness.... :P

Your madness was a poorly kept secret in fairness.... :P

Yeah, it's not really a secret :P

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Well, I had no idea, really :)

• Advertisement

Nimr wrote: »
    Well, I had no idea, really :)

:pac:

I suppose it's better to give them to too many people than not giving it to people who genuinely need them...

Not really when you consider the many side effects they have. I think doctors prescribing them to under 18s is particularly bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

Not really when you consider the many side effects they have. I think doctors prescribing them to under 18s is particularly bad.

Every medicine has side effects. Depression can be partially treated by medicine. However different people react differently.

They should definitely be tried, but obviously the idea of throwing anti-depressants at patients then leaving them out in the cold is a terrible plan.

If you're worried about side effects you arguably shouldn't be taking them anyway, obviously in an ideal world no one should get them if they don't need them but that's never going to happen.

Why under 18s in particular? They seem to be some of the people worst affected by depression in the country.

I don't think every medicine has side effects, I'm not sure but that just doesn't sound right.

Anyway, SSRIS are notorious for their side effects (particularly weight gain and loss of libido) and I would argue they have no benefits that cannot be provided through a rigorous exercise regime.

I don't want to get into a large discussion about it tbh, I get that doctors like them due to the fact that they have no abuse potential whatsoever but I can't help but feel that major drug companies are giving them false information, especially given that what my doctor told me was contradicted by several sources.
    If you're worried about side effects you arguably shouldn't be taking them anyway, obviously in an ideal world no one should get them if they don't need them but that's never going to happen.

Why under 18s in particular? They seem to be some of the people worst affected by depression in the country.

They rape your body, giving them to under 18s is particularly bad considering the person is likely to be still developing.

Sertraline, an SSRI, is supposed to affect people pretty badly.

Lexapro, another SSRI, made me feel like shít. :P

We're all 18/19 (sorry Nim!), on our summer holidays after doing really stressful exams, and what are we doing with ourselves? Discussing the pros and cons of anti-depressants on the internet! :pac:

We're all 18/19 (sorry Nim!), on our summer holidays after doing really stressful exams, and what are we doing with ourselves? Discussing the pros and cons of anti-depressants on the internet! :pac:

We lead such interesting lives :o

We lead such interesting lives :o

You're the worst, you're on your fecking holidays ffs! :pac:

• Advertisement

You're the worst, you're on your fecking holidays ffs! :pac:

I know :( but I'm bored, my sisters are wrecking my head :pac:

It's supposed to be 31C tomorrow :o I'm going to die.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement