Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2014 OT v2.0 - Official Bitch & Moan thread

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

In all honesty, if you want to go shopping or something pick Dublin, otherwise avoid it at all costs...

Shh, Dublin is great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Kayleigh..

It was so warm this morning like 30C and then it started raining so heavily, got soaked and now I've a headache :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Thunder outside now.... Scary :(

Anyone else hate those really stupid things people share on Facebook? For example "NOBODY SHOULD SCROLL PAST THIS - SHARE IF YOU WOULD STAY UP ALL NIGHT, WITH SOMEONE YOU LOVE, JUST TO TALK THEM OUT OF SUICIDE." :confused:

FUCK OFF.

:mad:

:o

I used to believe them... when I was like, 12

Anyone watching the Sunday Game? Owen Mulligan......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Macavity. wrote: »
    One like one prayer. :rolleyes: I know a girl who posts stuff such as "Like and share if you prefer a curvaceous lady" with a picture of a woman who is obese not curvaceous. Mother of Gawd.

Yeah there's loads of that kinda shít on my news feed too :(

I hate all the fake emotional attention-whoring ones, like some fella who wrote a shítty song about suicide up in Cork City and got like 1500 shares with some brilliant lyrics like (paraphrasing) "it's time to realise there's more to life than cutting your wrists" :confused: Very helpful.. :rolleyes:
    thelad95 wrote: »
    Anyone watching the Sunday Game? Owen Mulligan......

Nope.. What's he on about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

One like one prayer. :rolleyes: I know a girl who posts stuff such as "Like and share if you prefer a curvaceous lady" with a picture of a woman who is obese not curvaceous. Mother of Gawd.

712406.jpg

Nope.. What's he on about?

Not what he's on about but his haircut makes him look like an obese 12 year old girl....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭Daniel7740

"NOBODY SHOULD SCROLL PAST THIS - SHARE IF YOU WOULD STAY UP ALL NIGHT, WITH SOMEONE YOU LOVE, JUST TO TALK THEM OUT OF SUICIDE." :confused:

thats one of the few i wouldnt have a problem with, cos its helping to raise suicide awareness

3 and a half weeks to go....

• Advertisement

Is it really though, in fairness?

shur how isnt it?

Daniel7740 wrote: »
    shur how isnt it?

Well people think Dónal Walsh raised mental illness awareness as well when all he was doing was spreading misinformation. Like, I know he was dying and was angry over it, and obviously felt people who committed suicide were just a waste of a life when he wanted to keep on living his, but all he did was promote this "snap out of it" attitude towards depression and for some reason the vast majority of people in the country decided to promote this idea even further...

Well people think Dónal Walsh raised mental illness awareness as well when all he was doing was spreading misinformation. Like, I know he was dying and was angry over it, and obviously felt people who committed suicide were just a waste of a life when he wanted to keep on living his, but all he did was promote this "snap out of it" attitude towards depression and for some reason the vast majority of people in the country decided to promote this idea even further...

THANKYOU

Like I feel awful about what happened to him, but I think a lot of people dont realise the absolute hopelsessness someone has to feel in order to end their own life, how miserable they must be and no hope of anything ever getting better.

thats a completely different kettle of fish altogether that your on about

I always felt the hype around him was due to his bravery to put all his energy into a cause given his health. If I was diagnosed with a terminal illness at 15/16, I would've spent my remaining days rotting away in bed but he didn't and that's incredible. The message he was spreading was naive though. In saying that, if he saves one person, he will have left an incredible legacy.

HugsiePie wrote: »
    But how is the above post actually prooting suicide awareness, just cause it mentions suicide in it, doesnt mean its helping someone who is feling suicidal in anyway

of course it doesnt, but it keeps it in everyones mind, in the hope that people will be quicker to notice if someone isnt themselves. also the fact that its being spread around by a lot of people might make people who are feeling suicidal realise, that there of plenty of people out there who would be willing to talk to them about it, and hopefully talk them out of it, and help them.

thats a completely different kettle of fish altogether that your on about

It is actually, sorry went off on a bit of a tangent :o Was just trying to point out that attempting to raise awareness can be quite dangerous if the person raising it doesn't have their facts in order.
    THANKYOU

Like I feel awful about what happened to him, but I think a lot of people dont realise the absolute hopelsessness someone has to feel in order to end their own life, how miserable they must be and no hope of anything ever getting better.

I just can't believe how the whole country decided to promote his idea. He was in a terrible situation and I can see why he was feeling the way he was, but the fact that he became a national icon over it actually makes me quite angry. He should be applauded for his bravery to speak out but I think he actually caused more harm than good.

Agreed. He did a lot of work for charity which was very admirable, and it's a real shame he was exploited by the media who I would blame entirely for the whole fiasco. He was a sick child coming to terms with his illness and should never have been showcased like that.

Oh yeah, I don't blame him at all, the media were definitely in the wrong.

thats one of the few i wouldnt have a problem with, cos its helping to raise suicide awareness

I think at this stage people are nearly too aware of suicide and depression and it's becoming "cool". I think the saturation of suicide in the media is MAKING people as young as 12 take their lives. I remember when I was 13, someone from my town who was about 19 committed suicide and I'm going to be honest, I'd never even heard of suicide but now that it's saturated in the media, young people (up to 14) are taking their lives because they're "depressed", two concepts they have literally no comprehension of.

I think at this stage people are nearly too aware of suicide and depression and it's becoming "cool". I think the saturation of suicide in the media is MAKING people as young as 12 take their lives. I remember when I was 13, someone from my town who was about 19 committed suicide and I'm going to be honest, I'd never even heard of suicide but now that it's saturated in the media, young people (up to 14) are taking their lives because they're "depressed", two concepts they have literally no comprehension of.

theres not a fúcking chance that its making it cool. theres no way that people are "too aware of suicide". and there was a only a handful mentioned on the news/media, and that was to make parents aware of what goes on online on some sites, it isnt glamorizing it at all.

suicide has always been a huge problem, its just that your starting to take notice of the last few years, especially since someone you knew took their life.

and beleive it or not, depression can actually be the cause of suicide, in any age group. its not the only cause, but its certainly one of them

• Advertisement

I'd agree, very few people actually seem to know the difference between depression and simply feeling down/sad for a few days, and the fact that it's so prominent in the media at the moment means that it's much more likely to cross someone's mind who wouldn't necessarily contemplate suicide if they weren't so aware of it.
    I actually remember watching that episode of the Saturday Night Show (think that's what it's called?). It was very uncomfortable viewing and it became clear as the show progressed he had very little knowledge on what he was talking about and was (understandably) quite frustrated about his situation. I just couldn't believe somebody involved in production didn't call a halt to it, but I imagine it would be very hard as you could quite easily be branded some sort of ****.

Yeah that's what the show was called, to be honest I just couldn't watch it and turned it off. You would be looked at as a complete ignorant prick if you tried to call a halt to it imo, I tried to have a discussion about it with my friend (who agreed with Dónal's message) and it just ended up with him getting very bitter/angry with me, since then I haven't tried talking about it in real life because it's clear that questioning it will just make some people very angry.

I'd agree, very few people actually seem to know the difference between depression and simply feeling down/sad for a few days, and the fact that it's so prominent in the media at the moment means that it's much more likely to cross someone's mind who wouldn't necessarily contemplate suicide if they weren't so aware of it.

Yeah that's what the show was called, to be honest I just couldn't watch it and turned it off. You would be looked at as a complete ignorant prick if you tried to call a halt to it imo, I tried to have a discussion about it with my friend (who agreed with Dónal's message) and it just ended up with him getting very bitter/angry with me, since then I haven't tried talking about it in real life because it's clear that questioning it will just make some people very angry.

I admire Donal, the guy was a legend and an inspiration to me. He decided to fight for a cause in his dying days but people who should've known better exploited him a little bit but that wasn't his fault. The wonderful thing about Donal is even if he had an impact on one person, everything he did was worth it. However, as has been mentioned, the media handled it poorly. It was unfair to have him shown to a national audience and he came across as incredibly naive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

theres not a fúcking chance that its making it cool. theres no way that people are "too aware of suicide". and there was a only a handful mentioned on the news/media, and that was to make parents aware of what goes on online on some sites, it isnt glamorizing it at all.

suicide has always been a huge problem, its just that your starting to take notice of the last few years, especially since someone you knew took their life.

and beleive it or not, depression can actually be the cause of suicide, in any age group. its not the only cause, but its certainly one of them
    Dan, ofc suicide has always been a huge problem, and covering it up and not talking about it (which was the old way) was very unhelpful.

I think the point they're making is that all the publicity, especially among the younger generation, can be a two-edged sword.

On the one hand, it raises awareness of the issue, and of places to go for help if you're in trouble yourself, and may help someone to spot a friend in trouble, and that's all great.

On the other hand, it encourages the idea among youngsters that if you're feeling down in the dumps at all you must be suffering from clinical depression, and that trivialises depression. It may also bring the idea of suicide as a "solution" to youngsters' heads when things are rough.

That certainly doesn't mean that we should stop talking about suicide again, that would be a really bad idea; but it does suggest that not all awareness is constructive or positive.

I admire Donal, the guy was a legend and an inspiration to me. He decided to fight for a cause in his dying days but people who should've known better exploited him a little bit but that wasn't his fault. The wonderful thing about Donal is even if he had an impact on one person, everything he did was worth it. However, as has been mentioned, the media handled it poorly. It was unfair to have him shown to a national audience and he came across as incredibly naive.

My issue was never with him personally, I admire his bravery and how he made his last days mean something. But the worrying thing is that, in my opinion, he didn't come across as naive to the vast majority of people in Ireland. There were teachers and guidance counsellors in my school who seemed to believe in every word he was saying, even my religion teacher who would be considered the "mental health expert" who you could "come to with anything" thought of every word of his as gospel. The whole thing just seemed to highlight the amount of ignorance people held with regards to mental illness.

I think the point they're making is that all the publicity, especially among the younger generation, can be a two-edged sword.

id bet everything i own on, that it prevents more than it causes, which is the best result you can hope for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Kayleigh..

Being romanticised.

Kayleigh.. wrote: »
    Being romanticised.

:confused: ???

Kayleigh.. wrote: »
    Being romanticised.
    :confused: ???

I think she wants the D.

id bet everything i own on, that it prevents more than it causes, which is the best result you can hope for.

I wouldn't say so with regards to the 10-15 year old age bracket, I'd say the whole idea of suicide wouldn't even cross their mind if it weren't for all the publicity around it. I hadn't even heard of suicide until I was about 11, now the word is just everywhere.

• Advertisement

I think she wants the D.

Sounds like she's already getting the D ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement