Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2014 OT v2.0 - Official Bitch & Moan thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Kayleigh..

I'm getting kinda nervous now tbh.. :p

I think it will hit me next week :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Who is going to the national college of Ireland ?
    I'm in NCI and what course you wish to do? You can ask me anything about the college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    I'm in NCI and what course you wish to do? You can ask me anything about the college.

I'm doing either computing or computer applications.
    The one thing I'm worried about is making friends, are people nice and easy to make friends with ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

I'm doing either computing or computer applications.
    The one thing I'm worried about is making friends, are people nice and easy to make friends with ?
    I'm doing the Computing course and first year should be handy enough if you put the effort in :). Most of the people in my class are genuinely nice people and with the size of the college it shouldn't be any hassle to make new friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Huell

Are culchies allowed in trinity?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Just realised I can't get a SUSI grant due to some once-off income(don't ask) that we got in 2013 that brings us past the threshold, sent the application last week though but only realised now.. Do I just have to pay the student contribution next year, or do you have to pay tuition fees as well if you don't get SUSI? If I have to pay tuition fees as well I'll have to put off college for a year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Just realised I can't get a SUSI grant due to some once-off income(don't ask) that we got in 2013 that brings us past the threshold, sent the application last week though but only realised now.. Do I just have to pay the student contribution next year, or do you have to pay tuition fees as well if you don't get SUSI? If I have to pay tuition fees as well I'll have to put off college for a year...

I think its just the contribution (I thnk tuition is like 20k for med students a year so Im gonna go with just the contribution which is like 2k or something)

Also once off income ehhhhh

i.e the lotto :P

HugsiePie wrote: »
    I think its just the contribution (I thnk tuition is like 20k for med students a year so Im gonna go with just the contribution which is like 2k or something)

Also once off income ehhhhh

i.e the lotto :P

No, unfortunately not :rolleyes:

We're accounting for our drug money because we're just upstanding (drug-dealing) members of the community :cool:

I don't know if I'll get a grant :rolleyes: Hopefully though. It'll be grand if I don't though, like not relying on it :pac:

Kayleigh.. wrote: »
    I don't know if I'll get a grant :rolleyes: Hopefully though. It'll be grand if I don't though, like not relying on it :pac:

I googled it yesterday

http://www.susi.ie/How-is-my-income-assessed-/Income-Thresholds-for-Undergraduate-Students.aspx

Different thresholds

• Advertisement

So youre in the pharmacy business :pac::pac::pac:

You can reappky susi next year I think-you have to tel them your income has changed and redo the whole application process

I just logged in to it.. I CLICKED SAVE PROGRESS INSTEAD OF SUBMIT AT THE END!! :rolleyes: :eek: :o

Thank f*ck I wasn't expecting a grant! I'd be losing it if I thought I lost out on the grant over that.. :p

I'm embarrassingly stupid, what does this even mean:
    25% rate of maintenance
    +
    Field trip element

+
    100% tuition fees
    or
    100% student contribution?

:confused:

25% rate of maintenance
    +
    Field trip element

+
    100% tuition fees
    or

Maintenance is where they give you money to help you cover living costs (money that will go into your current account).

Field trip element......I hvent a clue, some courses go abroad for a weekend for some reason (Ive seen it alot with art/design/some health (not medicine :P) courses) so I guess the field trip would be to cover that if your course does indeed go abroad or even to another end of the country

The government pays your tuition fees-it snot means tested but if for some reason the government dont (eg you are not a citizen of the eu) susi will pay for that.......however if the government does pay your tuition fees (which they will in your case) then susi will pay your student contribution fee which is a standard rate of 2750 euro

If your confused about the difference between tuition fees and student contribution heres a link which explains it better

http://www.nuigalway.ie/student-fees/understanding-course-fees/

As for the maintenane fee.....there are 2 different types of rates, the non adjacent rate is for students who live a little further from college and normally would hve to find accomadation (I happen to know people from tuam who are not eligible for the non adjacent rate that attend NUIG) the adjacent rate is for those who live closer to college, these people normally live at home. The figures you see is how much SUSI will give you for the year-they pay it equal installments from October to June

http://www.susi.ie/How-is-my-income-assessed-/Income-Thresholds-for-Undergraduate-Students.aspx

25% rate of maintenance
    +
    Field trip element

+
    100% tuition fees
    or

And you're going for medicine?!?!? :confused::p:D

Maintenance is where they give you money to help you cover living costs (money that will go into your current account).

Field trip element......I hvent a clue, some courses go abroad for a weekend for some reason (Ive seen it alot with art/design/some health (not medicine :P) courses so I guess the field trip would be to cove that if your course does indeed go abroad or even to another end of the country

The government pays your tuition fees-it snot means tested but if for some reason the government dont (eg you are not a citizen of the eu) susi will pay for that.......however if the government does pay your tuition fees (which they will in your case) then susi will pay your student contribution fee which is a standard rate of 2750 euro

If your confused about the difference between tuition fees and student contribution heres a link which explains it better

http://www.nuigalway.ie/student-fees/understanding-course-fees/

Ahh okay, I think I get it :P thanks :D

And like what happens if you get a scholarship? Does that money have to be added to your application or anything? :pac:

And you're going for medicine?!?!? :confused::p:D

I took it off my CAO form last minute :pac:

I lack common sense :(

Ahh okay, I think I get it :P thanks :D

And like what happens if you get a scholarship? Does that money have to be added to your application or anything? :pac:

I dont think so. SUSI bases who gets a grant off the previous years account so if you got a scholarship lets say worth 1000 euro this year thats hardly going to be on last years accounts....I dont even know if thats classed as income :o

If youre really unsure email the college maybe :D However just so youre warned in NUIG (I thinnk you said thats where you aim to go) have different rules about whether or not if you did hl maths

If you want a scholarship you need 560 points at minimum-if you did OL maths

The minimum is 585 points if you did HL maths. (or atleast thats how it was last year)

Also I kow other colleges do it but IDK about NUIG but other Unis have ther own set of rules about medicine scholarships (cause its such a high demand course I can see the majority of the course getting scholarships with your rocket high points :P Trinity will only give away 10 scholarships I believe to its highest performing medical students on the year of entry)

How does susi work for a plc course!!

How does susi work for a plc course!!

http://www.susi.ie/What-type-of-funding-could-I-receive-/PLC-Students.aspx

I think the threshold of family income is the same.

They wont pay fees just give you a maintenance grant, which is money into your current account.

I dont think so. SUSI bases who gets a grant off the previous years account so if you got a scholarship lets say worth 1000 euro this year thats hardly going to be on last years accounts....I dont even know if thats classed as income :o

If youre really unsure email the college maybe :D However just so youre warned in NUIG (I thinnk you said thats where you aim to go) have different rules about whether or not if you did hl maths

If you want a scholarship you need 560 points at minimum-if you did OL maths

The minimum is 585 points if you did HL maths. (or atleast thats how it was last year)

Also I kow other colleges do it but IDK about NUIG but other Unis have ther own set of rules about medicine scholarships (cause its such a high demand course I can see the majority of the course getting scholarships with your rocket high points :P Trinity will only give away 10 scholarships I believe to its highest performing medical students on the year of entry)

I didn't mean like a scholarship from the college :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,774 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I'm in the exact same situation:(

I'm in the exact same situation:(

It's a bit of a f*cking balls isn't it?

http://www.susi.ie/What-type-of-funding-could-I-receive-/PLC-Students.aspx

I think the threshold of family income is the same.

They wont pay fees just give you a maintenance grant, which is money into your current account.

If I get just maintenance that's fine.
    The course is €450 after the deposit so it isn't too bad.

REALLY?!

Why :eek::o

What do you want to study instead?

I lost interest in it :rolleyes:

I've mostly Maths courses down - mathematical science/ financial Maths and economics and then I have biomedical engineering as my last choice. :p

A C3 in honours Maths is an entry requirement for everything I want :(

Ooooooh swit swoo

Naughton is it?

So youre wondering if scholarship money will effect your grant-I dont think it would this year, it might next year (you always use the previous years accounts when applying foe SUSI so I guess potentially you cold win a million euro this year and still get a grant for your first year of college :P)

AH would have a field day. :p

Wouldn't they under stand if you got a once off payment and still pay you the money, pretty mean of them not to.

Thankfully not in that situation :)

I lost interest in it :rolleyes;

I've mostly Maths courses down - mathematical science/ financial Maths and economics and then I have biomedical engineering as my last choice. :p

A C3 in honours Maths is an entry requirement for everything I want :(

Oh woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow

Maths!!!!!!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Theres a guy in the Grads whos studying mathematical science in NUIG....so stick around and yee can have mad bants about matrices and the inverse of logs and what not when yee finally get access. I meet a girl actually who wnted med but didnt get the points so she decided to do a maths degree instead-through Arts :D

Ooooooh swit swoo

Naughton is it?

So youre wondering if scholarship money will effect your grant-I dont think it would this year, it might next year (you always use the previous years accounts when applying foe SUSI so I guess potentially you cold win a million euro this year and still get a grant for your first year of college :P)

Not Naughton, shell/corrib gas. :P €2,000 for each year of third-level study, it's not bad.

Ah I get it, thank you, very much :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,774 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

It's a bit of a f*cking balls isn't it?

Tis indeed.

Can't wait for these results now:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Still don't know what I'm doing on results night.
    And I still need a suit for my debs.
    I'm contemplating if I should rent one or buy one out of marks and Spencer's so at least I have one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement