Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2014 OT v2.0 - Official Bitch & Moan thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

bb1234567 wrote: »
    7:45 is still a really good time, most people I know get up at 12/1

I get up at 8:30 and start at 9:30.
    That was just an example

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭cferry3

Theme or Issue or Cultural Context? Anyone got any idea which i should focus on more or is it just simply 50-50!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

How can you hate tea? :(

Why does everyone seem to think English is a really hard subject to study? I find it by far the easiest...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Hotale.com wrote: »
    How can you hate tea? :(

Why does everyone seem to think English is a really hard subject to study? I find it by far the easiest...

Easy to learn, hard to master... :(

thelad95 wrote: »
    Easy to learn, hard to master... :(

I know what you mean, that and maths seem to be the only two subjects you can't do well in simply by learning off/practising.

Like, if you never read books as a child there's not a chance you'd do very well in Leaving Cert English, similar to how if you never challenged your brain as a child you wouldn't do well in maths. :p

I honestly think spending hours playing Civilisation when I was 10 improved my maths skills drastically :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

What time do you finish at?

About 9 most nights it depends. I'm repeating so it's my final chance :) I take 2 1 hour breaks during the day and 10 mins at the end of each section I complete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

I know what you mean, that and maths seem to be the only two subjects you can't do well in simply by learning off/practising.

Like, if you never read books as a child there's not a chance you'd do very well in Leaving Cert English, similar to how if you never challenged your brain as a child you wouldn't do well in maths. :p

I honestly think spending hours playing Civilisation when I was 10 improved my maths skills drastically :pac:

I don't think reading books for English helps all that much tbh.
    Reading a book is completely different to answering questions on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

I don't think reading books for English helps all that much tbh.
    Reading a book is completely different to answering questions on it.
    I disagree. I think people who read as youths are able to spell better due to seeing the words so many times. Vocabulary also improves

oncex wrote: »
    I disagree. I think people who read as youths are able to spell better due to seeing the words so many times. Vocabulary also improves

You don't have to read books to know how to spell. Sure all those years of primary school spelling tests did the trick for me :P
    Vocabulary isn't even essential in English. You can get an A with no 'big words' as long as you express yourself well as my teacher always says.
    And we come across nice good vocab all the time in school and even online.

Also people I know who have read books a lot this year have been really compromising their study time. But everyone has their own opinion I guess.

(Does this count as paper 1 practice? Speech/debate sorta thing? :P:pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Striving470

Right....I'm going to cover one more macbeth cos I'm ****ered for time! Kingship,tragic hero,a vs r, and lady macbeth covered....what else!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

oncex wrote: »
    About 9 most nights it depends. I'm repeating so it's my final chance :) I take 2 1 hour breaks during the day and 10 mins at the end of each section I complete.

Would you recommend repeating? like is everything much easier second time round? I really feel like IVe messed up my chances of getting good points this year but we'll see
    Right....I'm going to cover one more macbeth cos I'm ****ered for time! Kingship,tragic hero,a vs r, and lady macbeth covered....what else!

Youre fairly well covered with just those tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Would you recommend repeating? like is everything much easier second time round? I really feel like IVe messed up my chances of getting good points this year but we'll see

Don't write yourself off as a repeat until you get your results!!
    But if it does work out that way I'd definitely recommend someone to repeat, if they really believe they can do it second time round, over settling for another course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭LoveLamps

Accounting guys - 2012 service firm q6
    For the p&l can anyone tell me how theyre getting loss on sale of vehicle as €10,000?
    And also where are they getting the figure for revaluation reserve?

You don't have to read books to know how to spell. Sure all those years of primary school spelling tests did the trick for me :P
    Vocabulary isn't even essential in English. You can get an A with no 'big words' as long as you express yourself well as my teacher always says.
    And we come across nice good vocab all the time in school and even online.

Also people I know who have read books a lot this year have been really compromising their study time. But everyone has their own opinion I guess.

(Does this count as paper 1 practice? Speech/debate sorta thing? :P:pac:)

There's no other way of really improving your English level besides reading, although reading books this year wouldn't have been a great idea.

Everyone I know who's getting high Bs/As are all book readers, you're obviously going to have more ease getting your point across if you've a high level of English. The only part I could see reading not having an effect on your LC exam is in the purpose marks because that's really based around discipline; cohesiveness, language and mechanics (is that what the M stands for) marks can only be improved on by either having done a lot of reading in your time, or else by studying English grammar which really isn't what you'd want to be doing during your LC year :P

And yes, this is paper 1 practice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lara_15

LoveLamps wrote: »
    Accounting guys - 2012 service firm q6
    For the p&l can anyone tell me how theyre getting loss on sale of vehicle as €10,000?
    And also where are they getting the figure for revaluation reserve?

for the loss on disposal:
    cost-selling-depreciation = profit/loss
    the cost price is 60,000
    the selling price 8000 (trade in allowance)
    the accumulated depreciation is 42000 (3 years at the start of 2011 ans 6 months in 2011)

60000-8000-42000 = 10,000 loss

For the revaluation
    new cost-old cost+ accumulated depreciation
    850000-740000=110,000 + 31200 (3 years accumulated on 1/1) + 14,800 (annual) = 156,000

hope that helps :)

Any accounting people want to explain the reconciliation of net cash to movement in net debt (from cash flow statements) to me, I don't understand it at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Poliana.xo

Lara_15 wrote: »
    Any accounting people want to explain the reconciliation of net cash to movement in net debt (from cash flow statements) to me, I don't understand it at all

I don't understand it either :( If cash flow comes up in section two I can kiss my A1 goodbye :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭LoveLamps

Lara_15 wrote: »

What dont you understand? Just the net debt part?
    Im sure youre grand with increase/decrease in cash, cash to purch liquid resources & purch/repayment of debentures.
    For net debt you use;
    (Debentures + overdraft + loan) - (cash + bank + current asset investment)
    Ca inv is usually just govt securites
    So for 2012 q7
    Net debt 1/1/11 is just debentures -bank (250000-22000=228000)
    Net debt 31/12/11 is debentures - (bank + govt securities) so 200000-(75000+60000) = 65000
    In reality you just NEED to do net debt for the start of the year and then just use subtraction but youll know for definite if youre right by doing the end of the year too (ans by subtraction should be the same)
    Hope this helped! Let me know if youre still unsure

Poliana.xo wrote: »
    I don't understand it either :( If cash flow comes up in section two I can kiss my A1 goodbye :pac:

Ugh thats exactly how I am, but I just did a question there as a test and I got it all right up to that reconcilliation thing so it wont be so bad. Theres usually a good bit of theory in them too though :/
    Hate accounting theory!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

Here come the accounting guys again...

• Advertisement

There's no other way of really improving your English level besides reading, although reading books this year wouldn't have been a great idea.

Everyone I know who's getting high Bs/As are all book readers, you're obviously going to have more ease getting your point across if you've a high level of English. The only part I could see reading not having an effect on your LC exam is in the purpose marks because that's really based around discipline; cohesiveness, language and mechanics (is that what the M stands for) marks can only be improved on by either having done a lot of reading in your time, or else by studying English grammar which really isn't what you'd want to be doing during your LC year :P

And yes, this is paper 1 practice :)

Yes they may be doing well but my point is that it is not necessary.
    As in getting an A1 in English does not depend on whether you read books or not. Just talking to others and discussing things with one another is just as helpful. I've even found a lot of tv shows have helped me with English also. Books may be good if you intend on answering the short story in the composition of paper 1 (which I believe most people don't plan on doing) but otherwise it's pretty pointless when it comes to speeches/articles and answering on the comprehension.
    I will agree that your mechanics marks may improve if you read but by 1/2 marks max tbh and that's only if you really struggle with grammar in the first place.

LoveLamps wrote: »
    What dont you understand? Just the net debt part?
    Im sure youre grand with increase/decrease in cash, cash to purch liquid resources & purch/repayment of debentures.
    For net debt you use;
    (Debentures + overdraft + loan) - (cash + bank + current asset investment)
    Ca inv is usually just govt securites
    So for 2012 q7
    Net debt 1/1/11 is just debentures -bank (250000-22000=228000)
    Net debt 31/12/11 is debentures - (bank + govt securities) so 200000-(75000+60000) = 65000
    In reality you just NEED to do net debt for the start of the year and then just use subtraction but youll know for definite if youre right by doing the end of the year too (ans by subtraction should be the same)
    Hope this helped! Let me know if youre still unsure

That makes sense, thanks so much!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

ordinary maths folk (I feel like we're a minority on here....) is it always a construction or proving a theorem for question 6a & 6b? I do not understand geometry at all, I'd love to just look at the constructions :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Seriously guys, we gave you your own thread and you didn't use it :P

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057045335

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

What do yous all usually do for the composition?
    I've always done short stories. Thought they were commonly done? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭MrAweesome

Is anyone doing German here? It's impossible to predict german :(
    peekachoo wrote: »

I mostly do Personal essays but pick whichever title is the best on the day yanno.. :P

I do the speeches or personal essays, I like to write short stories in my own time but there's not enough time/length of story in the exam for me to write a decent short story :P

Anyone else not learned the anion tests in chemistry yet? They do my head in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

I tried a personal essay for the first time in the mock and came out with 42/100, and regardless of whether I just had a mean marker or not, that's put me off them for good :o Back to short stories I go!

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

I like personal essays and descriptive essays but i avoid short stories unless I really like the title. I think I'm the only person who likes descriptive essays :o

• Advertisement

a0ifee wrote: »
    I like personal essays and descriptive essays but i avoid short stories unless I really like the title. I think I'm the only person who likes descriptive essays :o

Descriptive essay? I haven't studied paper 1 once, excuse my ignorance :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement