Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2014 OT v2.0 - Official Bitch & Moan thread

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 101 ✭✭Katie1289

I have a short story prepared that I'll mould to fit the titles. Suits me perfectly because I always spent way too much time deciding what to do plus there hasnt been a year yet where a title wasnt malleable!

Has anyone else done this out of curiosity :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

Katie1289 wrote: »
    I have a short story prepared that I'll mould to fit the titles. Suits me perfectly because I always spent way too much time deciding what to do plus there hasnt been a year yet where a title wasnt malleable!

I think the titles are too specific to go in with something prepared. Otherwise, it'll look a bit forced I think. Remember the "P" marks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

I did that for the JC but I find it very difficult for the LC.
    Also I haven't written a good short story for the last 2 years. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭MrAweesome

I did it in the mock but only got 60/100 but it could have been more on purpose :/ dunno should i take the chance again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

From 2013: "Write a descriptive essay based on a variety of glimpsed moments.".

What even is that? :confused: Could it be more vague?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Wait personal is 1st person right
    Short story is 3rd person
    and descpritive is?

and is that it? is that all the essay types? Ive done a few essays over the year i never knew what genre i was writing them in tho

Hotale.com wrote: »
    From 2013: "Write a descriptive essay based on a variety of glimpsed moments.".

What even is that? :confused: Could it be more vague?

I think itd be a cool one to do :) Like youre just after being in a car accident or osmething and you just write about what you can see and all

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Wait personal is 1st person right
    Short story is 3rd person
    and descpritive is?

and is that it? is that all the essay types? Ive done a few essays over the year i never knew what genre i was writing them in tho

Short stories can be whichever way you like as long as it's a story that's short.

I always end up writing in the first person when I do one in the exams and cringe at the thought of me dodging bullets and saving the day :P
    bb1234567 wrote: »
    I think itd be a cool one to do :) Like youre just after being in a car accident or osmething and you just write about what you can see and all

Is that a descriptive essay though? Sounds more like a short story...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Poliana.xo

speeches are the way to go :P

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭2thousand14

For a short story is it essential that you have a conflict between two characters and then by the end of the story it has to be solved?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I have a short story prepared that I'll mould to fit the titles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

Haha didn't expect that ending:D

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭LaughingOwl

a0ifee wrote: »
    I like personal essays and descriptive essays but i avoid short stories unless I really like the title. I think I'm the only person who likes descriptive essays :o

I love them, they always get me the best grades from composing.

You just describe everything, I can never think of plots for short stories but I love describing the setting and feelings so descriptive really suits me.

For the glimpsed moments one my character was on a bus and described things like people at the bus stop, outside in gardens that you only see for a moment before the journey begins again. It sounds boring now typing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

I'm gonna write a short story and end it with "and then I woke up, it had all been a dream!" . Instant fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

What's everyone studying in particular for geography?

What's everyone studying in particular for geography?

Everything :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭Saskatchewan

Any fellow Italian student here? What questions are ye doing for il giorno della civetta? Any ideas of the journalistic composition?

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭LoveLamps

You just describe everything, I can never think of plots for short stories but I love describing the setting and feelings so descriptive really suits me.

For the glimpsed moments one my character was on a bus and described things like people at the bus stop, outside in gardens that you only see for a moment before the journey begins again. It sounds boring now typing it.
    Is that not a short story though?

Everything :(

I was afraid of that response haha!

I have all (well nearly all) the answers from past years done out and highlighted but the effort of learning them off is another thing :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭chatterboxxx95

Having a horrible day regards study:/ can't do this anymore *weeeehhhhhh* anyone else hitting a brick wall?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Frolt

Is it too late to start studying? I'm doing all higher and every test I've done and haven't studied for I get high marks. I have a decent memory. Is it too late for me to start in the last week? I'm doing engineering and technology (guaranteed B's). Geography and history I'll have to study a bit for a couple days will do. I'm mostly worried about English paper 2. I have no idea what to start studying. Thanks.

Having a horrible day regards study:/ can't do this anymore *weeeehhhhhh* anyone else hitting a brick wall?

I've had a two day migraine. :( obviously being on this isn't helping but I literally feel like throwing up if I try to study.

I was afraid of that response haha!

I have all (well nearly all) the answers from past years done out and highlighted but the effort of learning them off is another thing :(

I've notes on everything on the course done out and I'm writing them off until I know them, I don't trust patterns at all when it comes to geography.

Yes:( everyday since school broke up...lol im gonna do bad. But think postitive, we'll all get lovely papers dont worry:D

Do you mean continuously writing them out over and over again? I might try that.

Frolt wrote: »
    Is it too late to start studying? I'm doing all higher and every test I've done and haven't studied for I get high marks. I have a decent memory. Is it too late for me to start in the last week? I'm doing engineering and technology (guaranteed B's). Geography and history I'll have to study a bit for a couple days will do. I'm mostly worried about English paper 2. I have no idea what to start studying. Thanks.

Eh its not ideal:P BUt yess you could get plenty done over the next 6 days just keep positive!

Do you mean continuously writing them out over and over again? I might try that.

Yes, it takes very very long. About 2 hours an essay to have it learned off to a reasonable degree.

Yes, it takes very very long. About 2 hours an essay to have it learned off to a reasonable degree.

Did you do geoecology? What are you learning for that if you did? At the minute I know characteristics of a biome and human interaction

I just try to make the examiner feel like theyre there at the place Im describing. I make that my goal, being as descriptive as possible.

• Advertisement

Did you do geoecology? What are you learning for that if you did? At the minute I know characteristics of a biome and human interaction

Nope, Atmosphere and Ocean. It is vile.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement