Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2014 OT v2.0 - Official Bitch & Moan thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

It's not actually, there is no way in hell any normal 15 year old lad can be defined as a "prepubescent child"! :rolleyes: :P

The correct term would probably be "cradle-snatching" tbh, but while a 19 year old girl and a 15 year old lad is weird and somewhat gross as an idea, it certainly isn't paedophilia in either the medical or the legal sense.

Actually, can we just voluntarily ban the word "paedo" from the forum, because it gets bandied around so much in Ireland these days without most people knowing what it actually means that personally I think it's become quite demeaning and belittling to those who did and do suffer at the hands of actual paedophiles.

The term she's looking for is ephebophile.

Don't judge me for knowing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

I actually think the general demonisation of pedophiles (note: I am referring to pedophiles who have not acted on their urges) in society is pretty damaging. I genuinely think if people with those urges were encouraged to seek help and treatment instead of being forced to hide who they were, out of fear, a lot of crimes against children could be prevented. Will never happen, unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Macavity. wrote: »
    I sort of see the most helpful poster and best couple award as the dud prizes they give out at a sports day to the fat kids who can't win anything.

I disagree. Fat kids win the wheelbarrow races from time to time (as the person holding the wheelbarrow)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

The term she's looking for is ephebophile.
    A lot closer, certainly, though given that she falls into the same "mid to late teen" age bracket herself, I'm not sure even that one fully applies ... I'm not a psych but my understanding is that it normally applies to the attraction of an older adult to adolescents.

I actually think the general demonisation of pedophiles (note: I am referring to pedophiles who have not acted on their urges) in society is pretty damaging. I genuinely think if people with those urges were encouraged to seek help and treatment instead of being forced to hide who they were, out of fear, a lot of crimes against children could be prevented. Will never happen, unfortunately.

I've said the same thing to some friends and they nearly ate the head off me. Like, why are they portrayed as being inherently evil? They've a sexual attraction which (as far as I'm aware) they developed naturally and are unable to change, so therefore according to (what in my experience seems to be) a large portion of the population they deserve to rot in jail/be castrated/be treated like animals even though they've never committed a crime. If they don't act on their urges then I actually have a degree of sympathy for them, it must be an extremely lonely life. Surely if they were offered treatment/support it will have nothing but a positive impact? I'd imagine it would both improve the quality of life of the pedophile and reduce the risk of the actually offending, surely that's what the aim should be? Certainly the latter should be anyway.

Saying all that, I completely lack sympathy with those who act on their urges. Do they get offered counselling in prison if they are found guilty of an offence? If not then I imagine the whole act of locking them up as a "punishment" has no real impact besides keeping them away from children in the public. Imprisonment should be as much about rehabilitation as it is about punishment. Why the general public seem to think that waiting for a pedophile to commit an offence and then throwing them in jail is preferable to actually offering them counselling and support to ensure they never actually commit the offence in the first place is beyond me.

I was gonna make an AH thread on this but I decided against it because (A) It would probably be locked, (B) The whole place would probably decide to hate me, (C) I'd be accused of wanting to remove the stigma surrounding pedophilia and (D) I really just couldn't put up with the amount of stupidity people would be emmiting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Kayleigh..

I'm so tired :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

I can't properly post because I'm on my phone so bare with me. My friends would be similar to yours. I don't know how it came up but it was pretty clear that most people were of the opinion that pedophile = child molester. I actually have a friend who stresses the fact that he would kill any pedophile he met. :confused:

AFAIK, offenders receive treatment. I would be of the opinion that prison is primarily about rehabilitation, however, certain individuals will always be a risk and public safety needs to be considered. I think a tagging system should be imposed on such criminals after they have served their prison sentence. Perhaps it is, I'm not entirely clued in on the situation tbh.

This topic has came up several times on reddit and the majority would share the same opinion that we have. There was also an AMA with a pedophile who was receiving treatment and he actually seemed positive about his future. It was an interesting read actually.

I can't properly post because I'm on my phone so bare with me. My friends would be similar to yours. I don't know how it came up but it was pretty clear that most people were of the opinion that pedophile = child molester. I actually have a friend who stresses the fact that he would kill any pedophile he met. :confused:

To be honest I don't think most people think deeply about this sort of thing at all. They think: "he's a pedophile ----> he molests children (which may not even be the case) ----> he needs a severe punishment." Without ever actually thinking about solving the problem, they just decide that causing them some form of harm is necessary.

You see people doing it all the time on here, just deciding that some group of people needs a severe punishment and it will sort out all their problems. Whilst I do agree a punishment is necessary, sterilising/beating up/torturing people doesn't solve any problem. Remember that thread about scumbags I made previously (I intentionally named it in that ridiculous manner :p)? That was filled with examples of people thinking that extreme punishments will sort out every single problem relating to antisocial behaviour. The suggestion of introducing a "10 strikes and you're shot" policy is absolutely ludicrous imo. It's been shown time and time again that extreme punishments rarely have any deterrent, and what happens when your man who's been shot eight year old son discovered that the state murdered his father? Chances are he becomes a scumbag, and the cycle continues. I do agree that the current system is far too lenient, but taking the leap from what we have in the current system to allowing the death penalty for stealing ten times would only exacerbate the issue imo.

Sorry really went off on a tangent :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭Daniel7740

I'M PETER FILE!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Not a clue tbh :p in fairness Peeks is the only candidate for that award...

I still think it'll be randy :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Not a clue tbh :p in fairness Peeks is the only candidate for that award...

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭Daniel7740

Nimr wrote: »
    I still think it'll be randy :pac:

Nah randy would be too smart to get caught :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

This caption was just on Dr. Phil:

"Used to be a rapper, is now a devout Muslim"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

It's not actually, there is no way in hell any normal 15 year old lad can be defined as a "prepubescent child"! :rolleyes: :P

The correct term would probably be "cradle-snatching" tbh, but while a 19 year old girl and a 15 year old lad is weird and somewhat gross as an idea, it certainly isn't paedophilia in either the medical or the legal sense.

Actually, can we just voluntarily ban the word "paedo" from the forum, because it gets bandied around so much in Ireland these days without most people knowing what it actually means that personally I think it's become quite demeaning and belittling to those who did and do suffer at the hands of actual paedophiles.

Randy it was just a joke :eek:

HugsiePie wrote: »
    Randy it was just a joke :eek:

That's what you'd like us to think anyway :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭Saskatchewan

Best of luck to all tomorrow!

Whatever happens...... TEQUILA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,774 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

How's this place been the past week?

Tomorrow should go down well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭linguist

All together now...postman Pat, postman Pat...

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

So is it a fact everyone does much better than they think they will? :L

linguist wrote: »
    All together now...postman Pat, postman Pat...

Not helpful! :mad: :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

I don't think I'd be able to open them myself :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

The taught of opening that brown envelope :( cringe

Best of luck to all tomorrow!

Whatever happens...... TEQUILA

Pfft, I wish. Our grads are on Thursday (I'm not going) and none of my friends have the money to go out the Wednesday night as well so it looks like it'll be a meal with the parents for me :p:o

The taught of opening that brown envelope :( cringe

Is that you Seán Gallagher? :p :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

So are you all going to slide the sheet out and look at the results one by one or all at one go? :pac:

Daniel2590 wrote: »
    So are you all going to slid the sheet out and look at the results one by one or all at one go? :pac:

All at once.

Calculating the points will be some bant.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

Daniel2590 wrote: »
    So are you all going to slid the sheet out and look at the results one by one or all at one go? :pac:

Gonna scan it as fast as possible for anything below a D and if there is nothing below a D I can relax

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

How's this place been the past week?

Tomorrow should go down well.

Here's what you missed:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057266280

Nominate please :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Huell

sure look it, if we fail we can become guards :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

Badwulf wrote: »
    So is it a fact everyone does much better than they think they will? :L