Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2014 OT v2.0 - Official Bitch & Moan thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

MrAweesome wrote: »
    Well i have never done one of the nazis :P my last one was about suicide! All mine have had a sad ending :P i just lack witty humour and imagination sadly

Yeah me too Im just not funny and theres like nothing worse than somebody unfunny attempting humour:o nazis are good! very dramatic lots to talk about!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

thelad95 wrote: »
    There are no characters in the text. You must be on acid...
    Maybe if I actually take acid I'll reverse whatever is affecting me?

It's coming up to bedtime peeps. Just remember that this time next week you'll be having your last sleepy before English paper 2.

Enjoy the nightmares!

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

robman60 wrote: »
    Maybe if I actually take acid I'll reverse whatever is affecting me?

It's coming up to bedtime peeps. Just remember that this time next week you'll be having your last sleepy before English paper 2.

Enjoy the nightmares!

well there goes my plans to sleep tonight....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

South Wicklow ftw :D

Nah, the west is where it's at XD

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭ejayy

aleatorio wrote: »
    Nah, the west is where it's at XD

Yeaaaa boiiiii :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭MrAweesome

The thought of Dickinson on the paper may help me sleep for the week :)

Poetry isnt even worth that much people worry about it too much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Poliana.xo

if Dickinson or Larkin are not there.. I will actually cry
    bb1234567 wrote: »

12% can change a looooot.. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

I agree but the thought of anyone else is quite horrible frankly.
    You're correct. English Paper 1 is like the Irish oral. They throw marks at you but then the rest is torture.

robman60 wrote: »
    You're correct. English Paper 1 is like the Irish oral. They throw marks at you but then the rest is torture.

exactly! people get so worked up over english poetry and the p2 learnt irish section. Irish poetry, irish Pros and and Triall option question COMBINED = 15 % of grade. Less than your irish listening test!!
    Poliana.xo wrote: »
    12% can change a looooot.. :p

But realsitically if you put any effort into it youll get 6/7% of that. So its more like 5% for all your hard work! I know 5% can mean the difference between a grade but just remember not to stress out about poetry too much guys :) just know some quotes from 4 poems, their themes and some features of said poets literature! do that for 3/4 poets and youll get a B easy

• Advertisement

But realsitically if you put any effort into it youll get 6/7% of that. So its more like 5% for all your hard work! I know 5% can mean the difference between a grade but just remember not to stress out about poetry too much guys :) just know some quotes from 4 poems, their themes and some features of said poets literature! do that for 3/4 poets and youll get a B easy

I got 10% in my mock in poetry and that really bumped up my grade.. :) And really if you look at it that way, Macbeth is worth only 2.5% more than poetry. I think nobody should neglect poetry, especially since writing about it isn't too hard once you put in some work. Sure I am obviously not getting too worked up only studying 3/4 poets :p But honestly, Larkin or Dickinson better be there:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

How many comparisions should we make on the GVAV or the CC?

Badwulf wrote: »
    How many comparisions should we make on the GVAV or the CC?

My teacher says 7-8 good comparisons can get you an A1 :)
    Poliana.xo wrote: »
    I got 10% in my mock in poetry and that really bumped up my grade.. :) And really if you look at it that way, Macbeth is worth only 2.5% more than poetry. I think nobody should neglect poetry, especially since writing about it isn't too hard once you put in some work. Sure I am obviously not getting too worked up only studying 3/4 poets :p But honestly, Larkin or Dickinson better be there:pac:

haha fair enough:P I know ill scream if theyre not on it! On a sidenote though why is everyone so sure dickinson and heaney are up? Like heaneys death yeah but does that make him any more likely to come up..? do dead poets always come up the year after they die is that a thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    I always say yous :P

Who are you, Clare Daly? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

My teacher says 7-8 good comparisons can get you an A1 :)

Do you mean 7-8 comparisons throughout the whole thing or 7-8 paragraphs with comparisons. We only do 5 or so paragraphs but in each one there's always 3 comparisons. I'm either doing too much or not enough :D

haha fair enough I know ill scream if theyre not on it! On a sidenote though why is everyone so sure dickinson and heaney are up? Like heaneys death yeah but does that make him any more likely to come up..? do dead poets always come up the year after they die is that a thing

they would honor him by putting him on the paper.. Plus he hasn't been up since like 2004? and not on again for a few years. And Dickinson is the female poet :P

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭MrAweesome

Do yous think the witches might come up for the macbeth question? My whole week is going to prioritise business, history and English :P

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Janeh9

My English teacher went on about the Supernatural coming up but I'm not sure :P

Aspiring wrote: »
    Do you mean 7-8 comparisons throughout the whole thing or 7-8 paragraphs with comparisons. We only do 5 or so paragraphs but in each one there's always 3 comparisons. I'm either doing too much or not enough :D

woah thats a lot! my teacher meant 7-8 for the whole thing:) Idk how youd fit in 3 comparisons per para haha sounds hard

up nice and early, don't feel nice at all though :rolleyes: can I please just skip all this and go college? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭chatterboxxx95

Having nightmares that they will put on Bishop on our paper just to fcek us around :( and question: what makes everyone so sure larkin's on? He was up in 2012 and he's on the course the next few years, kinsella, while having appeared on 2012 he's not on next year and he's only been on the exam once or something in the past number of years!

Regards comparative: I'm planning on crawling into a hole and dying :O :( we did covered the texts but did next to nothing after that, just got bucket-loads of crappy notes

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭LoveLamps

Same here! We spent aaagggees on macbeth and poetry and not much on comparative, we went through the texts and after that went through like 2 exam wuestions thats it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

If I were to study a fifth poet I would study Derek Mahon 'cause I hate Larkin. But he's very unlikely so should I bother?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Having nightmares that they will put on Bishop on our paper just to fcek us around :( and question: what makes everyone so sure larkin's on? He was up in 2012 and he's on the course the next few years, kinsella, while having appeared on 2012 he's not on next year and he's only been on the exam once or something in the past number of years!

Regards comparative: I'm planning on crawling into a hole and dying :O :( we did covered the texts but did next to nothing after that, just got bucket-loads of crappy notes

My teacher has been saying all year that they'll stick one of last years poets on with Bishop being her prediction.

I think Heaney, Yeats and Dickinson will be on. After that it could be any of the remaining five. What you said about Larkin makes me think that Kinsella is actually more likely.

I'll study Dickinson, Larkin and Kinsella.. Will know Heaney too, although I really really hate him, been putting off studying him for the past two weeks :pac:

I'm doing Yeats, Dickinson, Larkin, Kinsella and Bishop
    I know Bishop insanely well because she was the first poet I did, so if they throw a curveball and put her on, I'm ready :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

aleatorio wrote: »
    I'm doing Yeats, Dickinson, Larkin, Kinsella and Bishop
    I know Bishop insanely well because she was the first poet I did, so if they throw a curveball and put her on, I'm ready :cool:

Do you know the other 4 very well also?

For me the worst scenario would be if Larkin,Mahon,Plath and Kinsella come up.

Am I right in saying that Bishop is not on next year but Dickinson and Plath are?

Do you know the other 4 very well also?

For me the worst scenario would be if Larkin,Mahon,Plath and Kinsella come up.

Nope, I didn't do Plath or Mahon and I didn't enjoy doing Heaney so never studied him :o
    I think my 5 should serve me well though, hoping for 3 of them to come up so I've a nice choice :)

• Advertisement

I know heaney sOOOO well, heaney somewhat well and dickinson too. We did larkin and kinsella but i dislike them so much so havnt learnt them yet :( Would you guys recommend doing the 70 mark Q or 40+30 for the comparative???

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement