Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2014 OT v2.0 - Official Bitch & Moan thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

Hotale.com wrote: »
    What part of it?

All of it but particularly paper 2. I just got confident with the poets and now there is so much Macbeth that I don't know..

Freaking out :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

All of it but particularly paper 2. I just got confident with the poets and now there is so much Macbeth that I don't know..

Freaking out :eek:

Learn some quotes for Macbeth and just have a general idea of what happens, not much more you can do at this stage :p

Suppose :) Be grand..

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Jones82

What are your thoughts on the maths papers? I thought last years was very handy but 2012's was pure filth.. Let's hope..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

peekachoo wrote: »
    Most of the geography course is absolutely BS.
    I was fairly unprepared for it last year. A regional question on a socio economic region came up and I hadn't it prepared, so I did southwest USA (never covered that region at all) and raved on about Hollywood and stuff. Viewed my paper and got like 20/30. :rolleyes:

What was that question even looking for? Is it core and peripheral region cos it was socio economic factors and not region?!

• Advertisement

You know for the single text questions could they ask for your favorite 1 scene or could you talk about more than one scene. I'd find it very difficult to write 4 pages on just 1 scene

oncex wrote: »
    What was that question even looking for? Is it core and peripheral region cos it was socio economic factors and not region?!

There's a section in our book about the factors affecting socio-economic regions :p

I'd probably have wafted about Drogheda a lot if I was doing that question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

So how's everyone feeling. This is how I feel about each subject:
    English- Just have to get my shít together for paper 2
    Geography- Ok for physical and economic. Hate regional. Haven't looked at Geoecology since last January :rolleyes:
    Maths- Grand for P1 apart from Financial. God help me for P2.
    Biology- Need to work on Unit 3. All important sections done.
    Business- Know most of the content. Just hoping for a nice paper.
    Economics- Leaving it till the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Imagine if Plath came up. God that'd be great. It really would.

English - SO much to learn for paper 2 but I wont let it beat me. I will get it done.
    Maths - Please let the paper be nice. I've done a lot of work in it but I don't know it all depends on the papers.
    Geography - Biome and Regional done and I'm happy with them. Physical needs going over and so does economic
    History - Don't even go there :confused: Might do pass.
    Accounting - Delighted with it! Put A LOT of effort into it over the last few months.

My study break is over soon so not gonna finish this :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

English H - Come at me brah, it's the paper that should be prepared for me...
    Irish O - Don't need it, haven't studied a bit for it.
    Maths O - HELP HELP HELP HELP, ALL I NEED IS PASS BUT MATHS AND HARD AND HELP PLS
    Engineering H - I hope the papers anus is buttered and bleached cos I'm going in dry.
    Construction H - My project was pretty cool, day one practical was a nightmare, paper is ok I guess.
    Ag H - Folder was great, haven't done a tap of ag study due to the fact we get a six day break for it during the LC and it's my last exam.
    Bio H - Know unit 1, unit 2, and all experiments like the back of my hand, don't a single chapter from unit 3 bar perhaps reproduction and muscles and skeletons .

thelad95 wrote: »
    So how's everyone feeling. This is how I feel about each subject:
    English- Just have to get my shít together for paper 2
    Geography- Ok for physical and economic. Hate regional. Haven't looked at Geoecology since last January :rolleyes:
    Maths- Grand for P1 apart from Financial. God help me for P2.
    Biology- Need to work on Unit 3. All important sections done.
    Business- Know most of the content. Just hoping for a nice paper.
    Economics- Leaving it till the end.

Oh god....

English - Feeling fairly confident about it IF it's not a balls of a paper. I've every angle of Macbeth and Lady Macbeth's character covered in detail, I'll have to do a bit on the rest in the next few days. I've only 3 poets done and that's all I'll probably do, I'll just learn titles of the other poets and hope for the best. The comparative is a nightmare. P1 is grand imo, shouldn't be too much trouble.

Geography - Yuck. I've a vague knowledge of everything, but only 7 or 8 parts in detail. I've one Atmosphere&Ocean essay learned off :rolleyes:

Maths - 50/50 about both papers, if I get calculus under control in the next few days I'd be confident of getting 80ish% in P1, P2 is a bit frightening though.

Chemistry - Nine days off beforehand, I'll do my work then.

Technology - Not gonna study it, so easy.

Pass French and Irish - Couldn't be bothered studying, piss easy anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

There's a section in our book about the factors affecting socio-economic regions :p

I'd probably have wafted about Drogheda a lot if I was doing that question.

What book is that I might have it? I could look but I am currently wading through sample questions :)

Oh god....

English - Feeling fairly confident about it IF it's not a balls of a paper. I've every angle of Macbeth and Lady Macbeth's character covered in detail, I'll have to do a bit on the rest in the next few days. I've only 3 poets done and that's all I'll probably do, I'll just learn titles of the other poets and hope for the best. The comparative is a nightmare. P1 is grand imo, shouldn't be too much trouble.

Geography - Yuck. I've a vague knowledge of everything, but only 7 or 8 parts in detail. I've one Atmosphere&Ocean essay learned off :rolleyes:

Maths - 50/50 about both papers, if I get calculus under control in the next few days I'd be confident of getting 80ish% in P1, P2 is a bit frightening though.

Chemistry - Nine days off beforehand, I'll do my work then.

Technology - Not gonna study it, so easy.

Pass French and Irish - Couldn't be bothered studying, piss easy anyway.

What sort of angles have you covered for Macbeth?

And just out of interest what is technology like? Wish my school offered it.

oncex wrote: »
    What book is that I might have it? I could look but I am currently wading through sample questions :)

Planet & People :p
    What sort of angles have you covered for Macbeth?

And just out of interest what is technology like? Wish my school offered it.

My Macbeth study is strange, I learned off about 100 quotes, and I mull over them like every night to come up with different ideas about the characters motives, behaviours, morals etc. I honestly believe that I could write about anything that the SEC throw at me if it's those two characters.

Technology is the biggest pile of sh*t ever. You get ridiculously vague instructions on what you should make as your project, and then you're given feck all time to make it (about 60 hours class time was all we had, it sounds like a lot but it's nothing). This year it was about automation.

You also have to write a detailed folio where you research aspects of the instructions you were given, write about how you made your project, and waft a lot of crap. I managed to make mine 95 pages and only about 20% was relevant :P

The exam is beautiful though, just look it up, if you never studied the subject and had any bit of a brain you should get a B :pac:

Anyone else passing maths on attempt marks alone? :I

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Badwulf wrote: »

Me!!! :P

We better hope it's a mank paper so, we'll all get Cs :D

We better hope it's a mank paper so, we'll all get Cs :D

For the mock one of my mates littarly wrote down a bunch of random numbers on a 25 mark question and he somone got 8 marks, never underestimate the power of attempt marks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

For the mock one of my mates littarly wrote down a bunch of random numbers on a 25 mark question and he somone got 8 marks, never underestimate the power of attempt marks

in the examcraft mock I ran out of time on the trig q and I got 8/15 for drawing a triangle and labelling it. And the triangle was given in the question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I don't know if this helps but I went through my maths papers last year and I didn't get any Q fully correct. There were a lot of 23/25 and in one probability Q I got 72/75. There was one part I didn't see on the day.

In maths don't get bogged down if there's a big long Q you can't get out. You might spend half an hour trying to finish it off just for 3 marks. Not worth it at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

Went in to school again today and there were about 10 of us outside just chilling in the great weather, really felt like summer but then reality hit! :mad: Was mad worse because I actually heard two of the teachers talking about going on the beer for the night! :pac:

Anyone remember the "fúck you Deputy Stagg" incident in the Dáil? Was just having a look at it last night and I found this remix wayyyy funnier than I should have.

robman60 wrote: »
    Went in to school again today and there were about 10 of us outside just chilling in the great weather, really felt like summer but then reality hit! :mad: Was mad worse because I actually heard two of the teachers talking about going on the beer for the night! :pac:

Anyone remember the "fúck you Deputy Stagg" incident in the Dáil? Was just having a look at it last night and I found this remix wayyyy funnier than I should have.

That's actually brilliant! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

*mom voice* You can only do your best!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭wallace2

For ordinary maths can you actually pass on attempt marks alone?! Have no interest in the subject and just need the pass!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

wallace2 wrote: »
    For ordinary maths can you actually pass on attempt marks alone?! Have no interest in the subject and just need the pass!
    Well it depends on the quality of your attempts. You definitely could pass on attempt marks alone, but you'll need some reasonable correct steps. If the paper is easier than it was in 2012 or 2011 (which is very likely) it'll be harder to get good marks from attempts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

bb1234567 wrote: »
    *mom voice* You can only do your best!

Your best is proportional to the amount of study you do between now and the exam ;)

What would you consider attempt marks? I got questions right in my pre that I lost 2 or 3 marks in and I don't know why.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭wallace2

robman60 wrote: »
    Well it depends on the quality of your attempts. You definitely could pass on attempt marks alone, but you'll need some reasonable correct steps. If the paper is easier than it was in 2012 or 2011 (which is very likely) it'll be harder to get good marks from attempts.

Well the hope is to get nearer to full marks on the easier chapters such as algerbra, sequences, finance etc and get by on attempt marks for the likes of calculus and and complex nums etc. Do you reckon that I'd pass safely?

• Advertisement

Well the hope is to get nearer to full marks on the easier chapters such as algerbra, sequences, finance etc and get by on attempt marks for the likes of calculus and and complex nums etc. Do you reckon that I'd pass safely?

Well, I presume complex numbers and calculus would be the more poorly answered sections on the pass maths course so therefore you should get more marks for attempting the question as opposed to getting it right :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement