Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2014 OT v2.0 - Official Bitch & Moan thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Hotale.com wrote: »
    But if 48% is for the rest of geography won't you get 50 points from all of that? :confused: Or am I having a brain fart? :P

52% is 55 points 48% is 50 points. Wait.. what the?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    What weather? I haven't opened my blinds since Tuesday :pac:

Ah you're missing the snow everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭BauBau19

Am I the only one who doesn't have anything prepared for paper 2 ? I got 48% overall in the mocks. Thank God for paper 1. Absolutely bricking it.

Biology : Grand. Have pretty much everything prepared bar the DNA which I'm planning on doing soon.

Chemistry : Have 6 days to go over the whole course again after French.

French : Haven't done too much but should be able to get at least a C1 considering I've done nothing for the mocks and got a C3.

Maths : It's pass. Not gonna study.. will prob get a B3.

DCG : Don't get me started.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Kyro pretty much nailed it there.

You rounded up both halves. You only round up after calculating your total percentage.
    BauBau19 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who doesn't have anything prepared for paper 2 ? I got 48% overall in the mocks. Thank God for paper 1. Absolutely bricking it.

Are we talking about any specific Paper 2 or just all Paper 2s? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

thelad95 wrote: »
    52% is 55 points 48% is 50 points. Wait.. what the?

Aleatorio!?!? We need your help! We broke maths!!! D:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

Aleatorio!?!? We need your help! We broke maths!!! D:

The point boundaries go from the top boundary, those points are assuming you got 'up to' 55% and 50% which when added together gives 105% - 5% is 5 points, there's your extra 5 points :o

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭BauBau19

Kyro pretty much nailed it there.

You rounded up both halves. You only round up after calculating your total percentage.

Are we talking about any specific Paper 2 or just all Paper 2s? :p

Haha..I was referring to English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

Can someone please help me out.

I'm trying to work out how much percent i need to pass geography. The total project is out of 20% and I want to play it safe so lets say i got 10% (hopefully more) how many percent do I need to get in the written paper to pass. Is it 30% or is there some weird maths that needs to be done? Sorry if this sounds stupid. I do pass maths

Can someone please help me out.

I'm trying to work out how much percent i need to pass geography. The total project is out of 20% and I want to play it safe so lets say i got 10% (hopefully more) how many percent do I need to get in the written paper to pass. Is it 30% or is there some weird maths that needs to be done? Sorry if this sounds stupid. I do pass maths

How many marks is the project worth again? I can work it out if I find that much out :P

How many marks is the project worth again? I can work it out if I find that much out :P

Project is 100 marks and the written paper is 400 marks

• Advertisement

Project is 100 marks and the written paper is 400 marks

You'll meed to get 37.5% in the paper :)

I better head off and do some maths seeing as I couldn't work that out haha

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Keeks96

What poets are you guys banking on, I have Heaney, Larkin and Plath well prepared. Should I do Dickinson as well just to be on the safe side?

Keeks96 wrote: »
    What poets are you guys banking on, I have Heaney, Larkin and Plath well prepared. Should I do Dickinson as well just to be on the safe side?

Yes. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭Kyro

I'm only doing Dickinson. I will cry if she doesn't come up. Or laugh. I'm undecided.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Keeks96

Kyro wrote: »
    I'm only doing Dickinson. I will cry if she doesn't come up. Or laugh. I'm undecided.

I haven't studied Dickinson since before the mocks..but I think I'll study her just to be on the safe side, praying for Larkin or Heaney!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

What weather? I haven't opened my blinds since Tuesday :pac:

What are you, a ghoul? :pac:
    Things like Sequences and Series and Complex No's have no real world application to be honest. The Maths course has lost a lot of credibility internationally especially amongst Science and Engineering bodies.

You know I think those are things that have some of the most crucial applications, compared to say, co-geo of the circle :p
    robman60 wrote: »
    Anyone remember the "fúck you Deputy Stagg" incident in the Dáil? Was just having a look at it last night and I found this remix wayyyy funnier than I should have.

Oh I loved that! :pac: It was great, yer man Stagg deserved it tbf, but then again I wouldn't have broken the party whip either.
    History - Don't even go there :confused: Might do pass.

Ah god have you seen the pass paper? A bit of cramming of certain topics the night before should allow you to do ok in HL.

Ah god have you seen the pass paper? A bit of cramming of certain topics the night before should allow you to do ok in HL.

What should I cram the night before though haha. It's so broad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

Some people may as well be asking 'studying literary genre for comparative, will I be ok?' :P

On another note, anyone else really glad they don't do Geo/Home Ec :p

What should I cram the night before though haha. It's so broad.

D&D: Interwar USSR, Germany, Britain, Italy.
    USA: Foreign Policy
    NI: Sunningdale, early Troubles, Anglo-Irish Agreement and Downing Street Declaration.

That's only about a third of each course :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

lot of new people suddenly arriving in here.....wonder why that could be :pac:

Heaney and Larkin. I also have Yeast, Mahon and Kinsella prepared. I hope it's Heaney though. I honestly feel I could answer even the most woeful of Q's on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

a0ifee wrote: »
    lot of new people suddenly arriving in here.....wonder why that could be :pac:

The desperation is kicking in :pac::pac:
    Heaney and Larkin. I also have Yeast, Mahon and Kinsella prepared. I hope it's Heaney though. I honestly feel I could answer even the most woeful of Q's on him.

:pac::pac::pac:

aleatorio wrote: »
    :pac::pac::pac:

That was deliberate as well. Insider joke in my English class. I wonder if I wrote Yeast would the corrector spot it?

People unfortunate enough to be repeating, I've a question :p

Was the English course very similar this year to last year?

I was looking at the 2015 course (in case of emergency :p) and they're doing Othello for the single text, and they've only 2 poets I've studied this year (they've Yeats too but I hate him more than anything). I'd really hate to do 5 poets and a whole Shakespearean play I don't know already in one year...

People unfortunate enough to be repeating, I've a question :p

Was the English course very similar this year to last year?

I was looking at the 2015 course (in case of emergency :p) and they're doing Othello for the single text, and they've only 2 poets I've studied this year (they've Yeats too but I hate him more than anything). I'd really hate to do 5 poets and a whole Shakespearean play I don't know already in one year...

Yes we've been quite lucky. Normally people who repeat don't bother with English as there is too much change to bother with.

In fact, all I needed to do this year was Heaney as a poet as 4 of the poets I did last year are still on the course this year. However, because there was literally no chance of Bishop, Mahon and Plath coming up again, I've replaced them with Larkin and Yeast but kept Mahon and Kinsella.

Same shakespeare play (Macbeth) and same comparative texts with same aspects of study.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Poliana.xo

I think I found the Yeast thing funnier than it is :pac: I literally find everything entertaining these days, all the socializing I get is boards, the fam and my dog :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Am I the only one here who hasn't made an 'am I the only one here' post. I just realised in posting this 'am I the only one here' about 'am I the only one here's I am one of the ones here who has posted an 'am I the only one here'.

Welcome to our newly joined friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭wallace2

Any history heads pretty much just banking on Coleraine for N.I?

• Advertisement

wallace2 wrote: »
    Any history heads pretty much just banking on Coleraine for N.I?

I don't get this. How can people even possibly answer entirely on a case study? Judging by the DBQ, I could get max 600 words - I mean you'll just be waffling like no tomorrow :eek:

But sure, I suppose if ye want to oil up the bell curve for us :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement