Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2014 OT v2.0 - Official Bitch & Moan thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

Chemistry with a shît teacher would be an absolute nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭LoveLamps

Poliana.xo wrote: »
    Ouch :confused: Yeah my teacher isn't great either, but at least she has experience :eek: It's horrible, for me accounting and maths are the only subjects you actually really really need decent teachers for.

If all goes to plan(starting to think its a big if), im gonna shove my B1 (or better) in her face and say it was all thanks to my grinds teacher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Poliana.xo

thelad95 wrote: »
    No.
    Irish
    Geography
    French/German
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Physics
    Applied Maths

I'm sure there's more...

I sort of agree, but then again, for some subjects you can make do without a great teacher.

I had three different teachers for geography so far, all ****e, my biology teacher in 5th year spent two weeks doing the scientific method (at least she left..), my french teacher has probably spent half of the classes discussing politics and throwing random vocab at us..

Yea, I'm lucky with my teachers :pac:

No.
    Irish
    Geography
    French/German
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Physics
    Applied Maths

I'm sure there's more...

Physics definitely all understanding, thankfully ive got an awesome teacher whose helping to design the syllabus (maybe this makes up for the crap accounting teacher)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

You don't need a good teacher for geog or bio imo. Just gotta learn off and regurgitate the stuff on the day :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I sort of agree, but then again, for some subjects you can make do without a great teacher.

I had three different teachers for geography so far, all ****e, my biology teacher in 5th year spent two weeks doing the scientific method (at least she left..), my french teacher has probably spent half of the classes discussing politics and throwing random vocab at us..

Yea, I'm lucky with my teachers :pac:

People always say that but its mostly untrue. I do bio and geo..last year I was doing badly at bio but did around same amount of study. Last year I was doing great at geography and doing same amount of study as this year. Nothings changed other than my teachers for both subjects, now doing so well in Bio have an amazing bio teacher my old teacher was terrible. Now have an awful geo teacher,and Im so worried about geography, my old teacher was so good.

My new teacher didnt even teach us geoecology he just gave us the notes :(

Teachers make such a big difference

bb1234567 wrote: »
    People always say that but its mostly untrue. I do bio and geo..last year I was doing badly at bio but did around same amount of study. Last year I was doing great at geography and doing same amount of study as this year. Nothings changed other than my teachers for both subjects, now have an amazing bio teacher my old teacher was terrible. Now have an awful geo teacher, my old teacher was so good.

I am not saying they don't, a good teacher is a huge advantage.

What I mean is that you can do well without a great teacher if you are motivated. I know a lot of people blaming their teachers for failing, but in reality they have it all in the books in front of them. Although teachers help, you are the one doing the learning. So really it is possible to do well with a bad teacher, or fail with a great teacher :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

peekachoo wrote: »
    You don't need a good teacher for geog or bio imo. Just gotta learn off and regurgitate the stuff on the day :pac:

Some people might do. With Geography, you can just get notes pretty easily at a low cost, learn and regurgitate. For Bio, there are some chapters which would definitely need a teacher. Personally, I wouldn't have a chance of understanding some things like Protein Synthesis, Plant reproduction or Respiration/Photosynthesis without my teacher for the last three years who was fantastic.

In fact, the more I think about it, the less I think you need a teacher for Geography. Just get Exam Skills by Sue Honan. It's all there to get an A1 (it doesn't cover regional very well though imo).

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Tbh I've heard quite the opposite. Many of my friends do it and aside from one, who happens to be a mathlete, everyone hates/doesn't do great in it.

Usually has a 26-29% A rate. As Aspiring said, most people who take it up would at least have an interest in maths and/or physics.

It's not the subject with the highest As though. There are some really niche subjects, like Russian. 79% of students got an A in HL Russian in 2013..these examiners have probably never seen a bell curve in their lives!

Latin also springs to mind.

bb1234567 wrote: »
    People always say that but its mostly untrue. I do bio and geo..last year I was doing badly at bio but did around same amount of study. Last year I was doing great at geography and doing same amount of study as this year. Nothings changed other than my teachers for both subjects, now doing so well in Bio have an amazing bio teacher my old teacher was terrible. Now have an awful geo teacher,and Im so worried about geography, my old teacher was so good.

My new teacher didnt even teach us geoecology he just gave us the notes :(

Same here. In fairness, all you have to do is learn it and regurgitate it. Understanding geoecology is an unnecessary indulgence :P

There is another teacher in my school who always gives out the 4 geoecology essays at the start of 5th year and they are made regurgitate them once every week. Good idea I suppose.

• Advertisement

Same here. In fairness, all you have to do is learn it and regurgitate it. Understanding geoecology is an unnecessary indulgence :P

There is another teacher in my school who always gives out the 4 geoecology essays at the start of 5th year and they are made regurgitate them once every week. Good idea I suppose.

My economics teacher did this with definitions, and although I absolutely hated him for it in 5th year, now I find myself thanking him :pac:

My history teacher made a great point when we were in third year, he said;

"The teachers who are a pain in the hole now will be the teachers you'll respect when you're doing your leaving cert" and it's actually so true.

Sure we had a laugh with some teachers during our time (don't talk to me about JC maths) but if you learned nothing from them you'll realise how bloody stupid they were when you're actually working hard for something.

(I still hate the baldy cnut though :P)

Who on this is heading UCD next year? Did you go to the open day? Isn't it like the best place ever :pac:

Who on this is heading UCD next year? Did you go to the open day? Isn't it like the best place ever :pac:

Yes, hoping to do Commerce International.

Facilities are incredible but it's not for everyone. Some people can get very lonely, especially if you don't mix easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

I got a decent bunch of teachers thankfully. I still think how well somebody does mostly comes down to how well they work on their own. A teacher can only do so much. Even if you have the best teacher in the world if you don't study or do homework, you're not gonna do well (most subjects). For some reason, a lot of people allow themselves to feel dislike, even hate towards a teacher. This is really counter productive. I've seen people refuse to go to extra classes because they dislike the teacher. Silly stuff. If you don't like your teacher, you're not gonna want to listen in class or work hard. Rant over ;)

I got to shadow a law student for a day there last year. Got to go to his tutorials & lectures and he gave me a tour of the entire campus and the libraries it was greeeeeeeeaaaatt

My no.1 is DCU though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

I love it! Did you go to the new science centre?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

I am, hopefully! :D

Facilities are incredible but it's not for everyone. Some people can get very lonely, especially if you don't mix easily.

I have commerce as my number 3 :P the law and business buildings are beauuuutiful, and I personally love that it is so big!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

Aspiring wrote: »

I was at their science open day, like the one just for science courses, and bejaysus the new building is lovely <3 XD

• Advertisement

This.
    Im one of the most outgoing people youll meet but i still want a sense of community!
    Also the fact that every student gets to use the gym for free is just great

LoveLamps wrote: »
    I got to shadow a law student for a day there last year. Got to go to his tutorials & lectures and he gave me a tour of the entire campus and the libraries it was greeeeeeeeaaaatt

My no.1 is DCU though

I would have loved that, I want to do law myself!
    Aspiring wrote: »

I did, it was all overwhelming :pac: Motivation!

I have commerce as my number 3 :P the law and business buildings are beauuuutiful, and I personally love that it is so big!

What's your 1 and 2?

What's your 1 and 2?

law&business, law, commerce and then it moves on to DCU :P

I would have loved that, I want to do law myself!

I did, it was all overwhelming :pac: Motivation!

Are you a guy? you'll love it(regardless of if youre a guy or not) The tort law tutor was some 4th year student and oh. My. God. Carlsberg dont do women but if they did...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    It's not the subject with the highest As though. There are some really niche subjects, like Russian. 79% of students got an A in HL Russian in 2013..these examiners have probably never seen a bell curve in their lives!
    It's examined as a two year course... and taken by fluent Russian speakers.

You do the maths :pac:

LoveLamps wrote: »
    Are you a guy? you'll love it(regardless of if youre a guy or not) The tort law tutor was some 4th year student and oh. My. God. Carlsberg dont do women but if they did...

She'd be fücking a pint of beer....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

Hotale.com wrote: »
    She'd be fücking a pint of beer....?

Leave you feeling like ****e and full of regret the morning after more like I'd say :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3 KonnieD12

What would be a better course International Business and Lanuguges in DIT, Law and Business DIT or Arts with Economics and Legal Studies in NUIM?

• Advertisement

KonnieD12 wrote: »
    What would be a better course International Business and Lanuguges in DIT, Law and Business DIT or Arts with Economics and Legal Studies in NUIM?

We aren't all guidance counsellors noob.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement