Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2014 OT v2.0 - Official Bitch & Moan thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

Aspiring wrote: »
    Are you going for 625 in the leaving? :P

Well shure isn't everyone ;)

Nah I'll be very happy with 570+, I have a 'modest' goal of 2A1s and 4B1s which will get me my course hopefully, after that I couldn't care tbh :o

• Registered Users Posts: 42 courtney95

I only know four poems for each poet that I've studied. Is that enough?

my teacher told us that 4 is plenty as you will most likely struggle with timing etc if you do 5+... (Insitute of education)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

aleatorio wrote: »
    Well shure isn't everyone ;)

Nah I'll be very happy with 570+, I have a 'modest' goal of 2A1s and 4B1s which will get me my course hopefully, after that I couldn't care tbh :o

Ah I see, 570 would probably get you any course in the country anyway :P

courtney95 wrote: »
    my teacher told us that 4 is plenty as you will most likely struggle with timing etc if you do 5+... (Insitute of education)

I usually do 5 and while I agree if you struggle with timing it would be difficult, if you write quickly it is possible. In our mocks Paper 2 some people didn't even make it to poetry. Thankfully I got it finished, but it was 20 pages and the most intense exam I've ever done :D I think I'll answer on 5 poets next Thursday. How many pages do all of you do for poetry? I try aim for 5.

Ah I see, 570 would probably get you any course in the country anyway :P

Well the course I want was 560 last year and it'll probably rise, but hopefully 570 is enough :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭wallace2

I usually do 5 and while I agree if you struggle with timing it would be difficult, if you write quickly it is possible. In our mocks Paper 2 some people didn't even make it to poetry. Thankfully I got it finished, but it was 20 pages and the most intense exam I've ever done :D I think I'll answer on 5 poets next Thursday. How many pages do all of you do for poetry? I try aim for 5.

I normally only get about 3.5 to 4

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Which teacher do you have?

and 5 pages is much too much! I only did 3.5 pages and I got 42/50 and Im no literary genius D:

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Which teacher do you have?

Frank Cleary

4-5 for poetry, 4-5 for Macbeth and 5-6 for the comparative - in my opinion that's more than enough for each, I hear some crazy figures like 8 for comparative or 7 for Macbeth but realistically, a well planned and structured essay without any waffle that leaves you time to actually think and plan is better than 'word-vomiting' a hape of pages and rushing through the whole thing :o

Only about 3.5 pages!

• Advertisement

Frank Cleary

Same, I wouldnt pick him again if i repeated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

I try to get 6-7 pages on everything....

Same, I wouldnt pick him again if i repeated

I had him for Poetry and Comparative! Most boring man I've ever came across, the classes were painful haha

wallace2 wrote: »
    I normally only get about 3.5 to 4

That's probably enough for poetry really. We had a test there a while ago on poetry. My friend wrote 5 pages and was really confident he'd wrote enough to get an A. My other friend only got 3 pages (maybe not even) and she didn't even get a chance to answer on all of the poems. First guy got around 45%, the girl got a B. Goes to show quality always trumps quantity :D

Hotale.com wrote: »

Thats so much unneeded stress though like. 5 pages for poetry is even too much never mind 7:confused:

6-7 pages on unseen poetry? What's wrong with you? ;)

I had him for Poetry and Comparative! Most boring man I've ever came across, the classes were painful haha

Oh my god I feel asleep in 8.30 poetry sooo many times hahah and his comparative classes were always packed i could never even hear him!

Thats so much unneeded stress though like. 5 pages for poetry is even too much never mind 7:confused:

Nah, anything less and I feel like I'm not detailed enough :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Good luck with that. Typically I aim for the following:

Poetry 4 pages
    Macbeth 5 pages
    Comparative 6 pages
    Paper 1 essay 5-7 pages (Quality more important than quantity!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Poliana.xo

17 pages in 3h20min, that sounds mad when you think about it :rolleyes: But to be honest under pressure in an exam I don't even feel it, write like a mad yoke :pac:

• Advertisement

Oh my god I feel asleep in 8.30 poetry sooo many times hahah and his comparative classes were always packed i could never even hear him!

I had him for poetry at 2:30 on a Monday and I honestly felt like crying the classes dragged!
    I wish I had a warning on which teachers not to pick before I started ha

I could write 50 pages on Macbeth and still feel like I could do more :pac:

Poliana.xo wrote: »
    17 pages in 3h20min, that sounds mad when you think about it :rolleyes: But to be honest under pressure in an exam I don't even feel it, write like a mad yoke :pac:

Works out at one page every 11 minutes ish. English paper 2 is hell. I feel sorry for the people who used to have both English papers on the first day :eek:

I try to get:
    Comparative: 6-7
    Macbeth: 4.5-5
    Poetry: 5
    Unseen: 2

I could write 50 pages on Macbeth and still feel like I could do more :pac:

Aren't you cool.

thelad95 wrote: »
    Aren't you cool.

Yes.

Wonder if we'll make it to a third OT before the exams are over :pac:
    I'd say by the time the results come out and we're booted out of here we will have anyway :o

50 pages of drivel of top class writing? :P

50 pages of drivel of top class writing? :P

Drivel, obviously. :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I'm aiming for:

Macbeth - 2.5 pages
    Prescribed poetry - 2 pages
    Unseen poetry - 1 page
    Comparative - 3 pages

And I know I won't have time to write all that. I'd struggle to write 7/8 pages in 3h20m :pac: Only aiming for a C1 or B3 though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement