Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2014 OT v2.0 - Official Bitch & Moan thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭LoveLamps

Poliana.xo wrote: »
    I've heard she might have had epilepsy which explains why she never left her house, as in her times it was associated with masturbation :rolleyes:

I like her though, I like her style, techniques, and even themes. Maybe because I just like weird, depressed poets :pac:
    I like her cos she's quite easy, her poems are easy to remember too. And how easy is it to talk about use of dashes and unusual capitals for technique!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

LoveLamps wrote: »
    And Dickinson certainly didnt know what she was on about half the time either (I think she had mental health issues that in her time were obviously undiagnosed) she says hope was with her in the hardest times in one poem and describes a world where doesnt exist in another..

She says she's "heard it(hope) in the chilliest lands". That doesn't mean hope's been with her all the time, it just means that it's helped her when she was having one of her dark phrases.

Anyway it's a bit ridiculous to compare someone who clearly had some form of depression and extreme mental instability to an intelligent man who could make informed decisions. Haven't we all had the days when we feel everything's hopeless for no apparent reason, even though the day previous you felt that life was good? Or am I just really emo? :pac:

I've heard she might have had epilepsy which explains why she never left her house, as in her times it was associated with masturbation :rolleyes:

What...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Poliana.xo

Hotale.com wrote: »
    What...?

Yep my english teacher always has some interesting facts :P

Yep my english teacher always has some interesting facts :P

I'm definitely working that into my essay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Is anyone else here planning on just completely making up regional geography essays for the Leaving cert? Seriously, I've learned you can just throw down anything that sounds like it could be correct and they give you marks.

I made up at least half of an essay on India in the mocks and scriblled down a dodgy diagram and guessed the location of a few cities and the river ganges and got full marks.

I'm definitely working that into my essay.

I think it would certainly make you stand out :P

That's what makes poets interesting though :pac: Plath also fascinates me, her poetry has such strong effect on me, and her background also, her committing suicide, and later her son doing the same. I would almost want to continue studying English :pac:

thelad95 wrote: »
    Is anyone else here planning on just completely making up regional geography essays for the Leaving cert? Seriously, I've learned you can just throw down anything that sounds like it could be correct and they give you marks.

I made up at least half of an essay on India in the mocks and scriblled down a dodgy diagram and guessed the location of a few cities and the river ganges and got full marks.

I would but I find that it's hard to waft 15 SRPs in 12 minutes.

I've went through my whole regional geography section and wrote everything out until I had it learned, I'm gonna try to recall that info as best I can but I will probably end up doing some "informed wafting" for a lot of it. :P
    I think it would certainly make you stand out :P

That's what makes poets interesting though :pac: Plath also fascinates me, her poetry has such strong effect on me, and her background also, her committing suicide, and later her son doing the same. I would almost want to continue studying English :pac:

God I could make so much dark humour regarding Plath's "oven" incident.

I did this in my mock and did not get full marks :confused: haha my teacher marked our papers harshly though, but I will study regional just to make sure, you don't know who your examiner is going to be.. Really really need an A :pac:

I did this in my mock and did not get full marks :confused: haha my teacher marked our papers harshly though, but I will study regional just to make sure, you don't know who your examiner is going to be.. Really really need an A :pac:

Obviously you can't bull**** an entire essay but if you find yourself one or two SRPs short, you can do some informed bull****ting.

• Advertisement

God I could make so much dark humour regarding Plath's "oven" incident.

Remember those pages thing on fb a few years ago? When plath didnt come up there was a heap of "sticking your head in the oven cos plath didnt come up" etc etc...

My teacher ONLY did Plath on sunny days cos she said if we did her on a gloomy day we'd all get depressed

Obviously you can't bull**** an entire essay but if you find yourself one or two SRPs short, you can do some informed bull****ting.

Ah yeah, everyone does that :P

If Tertiary Activities in Brazil comes up I'm gonna waft about the protests against the vast amounts of money spent for the World Cup, how the lack of basic services should have came before promoting sporting tourists to come to Brazil, and how Neymar's haircut is probably worth more than 9/10 of the favelas in São Paulo.

oh yeah that happens nearly every time, a little informed waffling is always good just to be sure you have enough :P

By the way, in physical regional and elective are you doing essay style? A friend of mine was told by her teacher to write in bullet points.. seems a little awkward to me :confused:

oh yeah that happens nearly every time, a little informed waffling is always good just to be sure you have enough :P

By the way, in physical regional and elective are you doing essay style? A friend of mine was told by her teacher to write in bullet points.. seems a little awkward to me :confused:

I've been told that's a bad idea, it's harder to correct or something.

Christ lads Aslan are brutal on RTÉ...

Christ lads Aslan are brutal on RTÉ...

How can I proteeeect you in this craaazy wooorld, it's Alright yeah

Christ lads Aslan are brutal.

FYP

How can I proteeeect you in this craaazy wooorld, it's Alright yeah

That's their big song! I was trying to think of that for the past half hour :pac:

Pressure is on and i dont like it

I was at a friends house and her high achieving family were there and were quizzing me on the lc and next year etc and saying WHEN im in ____ when in reality its doubtful itll happen

Gah

Pressure is on and i dont like it

I was at a friends house and her high achieving family were there and were quizzing me on the lc and next year etc and saying WHEN im in ____ when in reality its doubtful itll happen

Gah

Sounds like an interrogation...

• Advertisement

Sounds like an interrogation...

Theyre actually lovely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

robman60 wrote: »
    Ugh, this talk of Plath in 2012 makes me think I should do more than just Dickinson and Yeats. Might have a quick look at Bishop just as a back up, and even then I'm not guaranteed of course...
    The only way to be absolutely sure is to have revised 5 poets. You might not choose to do them all in equal depth of course, but at least have enough to be able to pull together an answer if you're stuck.

Anyone here do music?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭chatterboxxx95

Anyone here do music?

MEEEEE :D

MEEEEE :D

Cool, what do you play? :D

The reason why I'm asking: What's it like for the leaving? I did it for the JC, loved it and got a B but I had to give it up, but now I'm kinda thinking ahead to what happens if I need to repeat (I know I shouldn't be thinking like that but I like to be prepared for everything :P), do you think I could cover the course in the year and get a B?

I've kept up my guitar playing and I've learned a good bit of theory since I was 15 when I did the JC. I won't be able to keep on one of my subjects because they can't teach it in the repeat courses near me so I'm thinking about doing music instead of it. Think it's a good idea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭brijay

What you guys think for english comparative ? Theme or issue please god!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭chatterboxxx95

Cool, what do you play? :D

The reason why I'm asking: What's it like for the leaving? I did it for the JC, loved it and got a B but I had to give it up, but now I'm kinda thinking ahead to what happens if I need to repeat (I know I shouldn't be thinking like that but I like to be prepared for everything :P), do you think I could cover the course in the year and get a B?

I've kept up my guitar playing and I've learned a good bit of theory since I was 15 when I did the JC. I won't be able to keep on one of my subjects because they can't teach it in the repeat courses near me so I'm thinking about doing music instead of it. Think it's a good idea?

I sing :O :pac:
    Music is very do-able. You'll honestly have no bother covering it in 1 year, tbh you could probably cover it in a month and get a B :L hardest part is the composing and its not hard, its like a skill you just have to learn and practice and perfect. Listening paper is sheer combination of learning off and common sense. Practical is grand, just have good variety in the pieces you pick and maybe give the tech a go (it can literally be learned in an hour) music is graaaand :D
    You shouldn't even be thinking about repeating already!! :P at least wait til June's over!

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

I've just noticed two of my course has a requirement of at least a c3 in OL maths...do I need to count maths in my points so? I wasn't planning on counting it so that's annoying if I have to

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

a0ifee wrote: »
    I've just noticed two of my course has a requirement of at least a c3 in OL maths...do I need to count maths in my points so? I wasn't planning on counting it so that's annoying if I have to

Nope, you just have to get a C3 in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Nope, you just have to get a C3 in it.

okay good! :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement