Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2014 OT v2.0 - Official Bitch & Moan thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lara_15

brijay wrote: »
    What you guys think for english comparative ? Theme or issue please god!

our teacher has us doing the other 2... havent toughed theme since last year.

In a comparative question that says to compare _____ from at least 2 texts, can you really compare only 2??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Lara_15 wrote: »
    our teacher has us doing the other 2... havent toughed theme since last year.

In a comparative question that says to compare _____ from at least 2 texts, can you really compare only 2??

No its a massive trick and if you only do two you will explode on the spot.

Of course you can just do two. Thats what it says in the question. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭cferry3

Any Biology people out there!
    In the expt to prepare the immobilisation of an enzyme and examine it's application.
    2questions!
    Why did the glassware need to be thoroughly washed before beginning the procedure?
    Why are the beads washed in water before being used?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

The only way to be absolutely sure is to have revised 5 poets. You might not choose to do them all in equal depth of course, but at least have enough to be able to pull together an answer if you're stuck.

I have studied six poets totally but have decided I won't do Larkin. I know what's going on in four poems by the other five, but I'd only be able to quote from Yeats and Dickinson at this point.

Btw, how many poems do you guys use in each answer? I've always used four but I've seen on the syllabus that six should be studied. Does this just mean you should study six and choose the ones that most suit the question asked, or actually answer on six?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

robman60 wrote: »
    I have studied six poets totally but have decided I won't do Larkin. I know what's going on in four poems by the other five, but I'd only be able to quote from Yeats and Dickinson at this point.

Btw, how many poems do you guys use in each answer? I've always used four but I've seen on the syllabus that six should be studied. Does this just mean you should study six and choose the ones that most suit the question asked, or actually answer on six?

My teachers general rule is quote from 4, refer to 2, so basically discuss 4 in detail and stick the other two in briefly wherever it's relevant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

robman60 wrote: »

At least four but you can make a quick reference to others just to show you know six. To be honest it's rear that you'll find six poems to suit one answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭LoveLamps

I was at an English revision course and they gave us a sample layout of a poetry essay it was like refer to two points each (theme, technique, style, background etc etc) on 4 poems. So 8 paragraphs + opening and closing.

Although in my poetry book the sample essays refer to about 6 poems...

I'm only studying 4 poems from all of my poets.. am I a bit mad for doing so? I'm doing this so that all of the 4 poems are similar to each other..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Think as far as English study goes, it'll be Heaney, Dickinson and a bit of Yeats (I absolutely despise of poetry and want English to be split into two subjects, although that's for another day). Probably gonna learn general quotes for comparative and praying Theme or Issue/Cultural context appears.

Anyone have any clues on what to study for Macbeth?! Thinking Lady Macbeth will come up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

Think as far as English study goes, it'll be Heaney, Dickinson and a bit of Yeats (I absolutely despise of poetry and want English to be split into two subjects, although that's for another day). Probably gonna learn general quotes for comparative and praying Theme or Issue/Cultural context appears.

Anyone have any clues on what to study for Macbeth?! Thinking Lady Macbeth will come up?

Lady Macbeth, the relationship between Banquo and Macbeth, and appearance vs. reality are tipped to come up from what I've heard...

I have actually done NO Macbeth study AT ALL!!

Anybody got tips on what to focus on? I know the play well enough, that's not a problem. But I don't know kingship etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Poliana.xo

LoveLamps wrote: »

Anybody got tips on what to focus on? I know the play well enough, that's not a problem. But I don't know kingship etc

I am going to know Lady Macbeth inside out, learn kingship, use and abuse of power, and appearances.. I know the play as well, will probably look at Banquo just in case.. Charecter of Macbeth too..Not a fan of the actual play :(

cferry3 wrote: »
    Why are the beads washed in water before being used?

to wash away the free yeast

Hotale.com wrote: »
    Lady Macbeth, the relationship between Banquo and Macbeth, and appearance vs. reality are tipped to come up from what I've heard...

Alright then, that's all that I'll be studying :pac: finished school now, so I can start studying/cramming for the next two weeks :D

LoveLamps wrote: »

I'm just learning quotes, that's what I'd suggest doing :P

I never have issues formulating an answer in the exam centre though, so I don't bother looking at notes or anything that often. Some people might prefer doing it by reading a load of notes though...
    Alright then, that's all that I'll be studying :pac: finished school now, so I can start studying/cramming for the next two weeks :D

Is everyone just cramming for the leaving? :pac:

No one in my school seems to have studied before the Easter holidays and now we're all trying to cover the English and geography course like mad :pac:

No one in my school seems to have studied before the Easter holidays and now we're all trying to cover the English and geography course like mad :pac:

Well I definitely am! I haven't done any study whatsoever this year, only flicking through books the night before for the mocks..decent, 400 points! Definitely focusing on geo and english and just learning tenses/essay phrases for languages :D also screwed for HL maths..don't know where to start with understanding it

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

So how has study been going for everyone? I didn't start until easter, done about 4 hours a night for the first week then done two hours since then but I plan on starting 6 hours a day starting tomorrow, it seems like a lot considering I only need like 300 ish points :P How has everyone else been studying? Most of my friends in school didn't even start until last week, anyone else in that boat?

Well I definitely am! I haven't done any study whatsoever this year, only flicking through books the night before for the mocks..decent, 400 points! Definitely focusing on geo and english and just learning tenses/essay phrases for languages :D also screwed for HL maths..don't know where to start with understanding it

I've neglected maths soooooo much! I got 50% in the pre (which was hard) and I kinda lulled myself into a false sense of security and haven't done anything since February :( I think most of maths is grand though in fairness, just need to study some of that dreadful calculus and coordinate geometry....

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Janeh9

I'm the same for maths :P

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭2thousand14

I've neglected maths soooooo much! I got 50% in the pre (which was hard) and I kinda lulled myself into a false sense of security and haven't done anything since February :( I think most of maths is grand though in fairness, just need to study some of that dreadful calculus and coordinate geometry....

Haha yeah I'm the exact same , at the start of 5th year I loved it but now I'm just sick of it. Got 50% in the Mocks too, Need a C3 so I have to start doing a bit more!

I just barely scraped a D3...think I just need to work on paper 1 as my paper 2 was what saved me in the mocks! Paper 1 is absolutely dreadful..don't know where to start with it

• Advertisement

I honestly dont know how study is going for me. I feel like I know nothing but I am fortunate that often remember stuff from listening in class etc.
    focusing on english/accounting/french(just started today!) and physics.

There is a 50/50 chance everything will either go grand or i'll do terrible.

But hey, happy thoughts!

I think I'll just give up on studying this weekend, I've just been feeling like crap and taking in nothing. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

Guys I just worked it out for my own head...
    in 2013/2012/2011 of Biology exam papers; if you did Unit 1 and 2 and experiments its 80% every year. I was led to believe it varies but 80% every year. Thinking back on 2013 when I sat the Leaving cert, I remember staying up all night trying to learn the human systems and completely neglecting experiments. Crazy. Saying that, no human systems as such came up last year, so could that dynamic change?

I think I'll just give up on studying this weekend, I've just been feeling like crap and taking in nothing. :(

Do an hour of a theory based subject after dinner this evening. Relax but don't waste a day.

oncex wrote: »
    Guys I just worked it out for my own head...
    in 2013/2012/2011 of Biology exam papers; if you did Unit 1 and 2 and experiments its 80% every year. I was led to believe it varies but 80% every year. Thinking back on 2013 when I sat the Leaving cert, I remember staying up all night trying to learn the human systems and completely neglecting experiments. Crazy. Saying that, no human systems as such came up last year, so could that dynamic change?

The fact that none of the systems came up last year makes me almost sure we will get some this year.. They can't completely ignore them, and most of them are due to appear somewhere on the paper.. going for a B I would say unit 1 and unit 2 plus experiments would be alright, but going for an A I would know most of the unit 3 also

Poliana.xo wrote: »
    The fact that none of the systems came up last year makes me almost sure we will get some this year.. They can't completely ignore them, and most of them are due to appear somewhere on the paper.. going for a B I would say unit 1 and unit 2 plus experiments would be alright, but going for an A I would know most of the unit 3 also

Going for an A1 myself, so have covered them regardless but I wish I knew that knowledge last year, before repeating. Can't praise exam technique enough. The 2013/2012/2011 paper consisted of
    4/5(6) short questions on Unit 2 and 2=80 marks/100
    The 2 experiments=60 marks/60
    and 3/4 long questions=180/240
    So basically just missing a short question and a long question.

oncex wrote: »
    Going for an A1 myself, so have covered them regardless but I wish I knew that knowledge last year, before repeating. Can't praise exam technique enough. The 2013/2012/2011 paper consisted of
    4/5(6) short questions on Unit 2 and 2=80 marks/100
    The 2 experiments=60 marks/60
    and 3/4 long questions=180/240
    So basically just missing a short question and a long question.

Oh lets just hope ecology and genetics questions are nice, and that there is a nice choice in others.. Overall please be a nice paper <3

Experiments are such easy marks though, my favorite part of the exam :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Is it better to do your poetry essay in English poem by poem (i.e. 1 poem per paragraph) or talk about several poems in one paragraph. I've always done it the first way but I noticed my poetry essay was my poorest mark on my mock, however it could have been because it was extremely rushed towards the end of the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lara_15

Aspiring wrote: »
    Is it better to do your poetry essay in English poem by poem (i.e. 1 poem per paragraph) or talk about several poems in one paragraph. I've always done it the first way but I noticed my poetry essay was my poorest mark on my mock, however it could have been because it was extremely rushed towards the end of the exam.

I was always told to do it topic by topic instead of poem by poem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

Most of my friends did a good bit over Easter apparently. The lad on the Pat Kenny show said to do ten 6 hour days (ie two schoolweeks), so I said grand, lads on the radio know their ****e.

I was lulling off on the maths until we got new Educate.ie maths papers :o 7 sets of sample papers, it's great :pac:

Maths is so much easier for me to study than say, English or History because it requires so little thought, so I can feel like I'm doing a lot of work :D

I feel the same, hence why I'm on Boards. I did an English Comparative question (Theme of Isolation), and now I feel so drained.
    Mhmm Lady Macbeth seems to be pretty well tipped, I think I'll avoid her though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement