Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2014 OT v2.0 - Official Bitch & Moan thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Poliana.xo

Lara_15 wrote: »
    I have the question done out from my actual mock and it balanced, but due to my ****ty excuse for a phone I cant send a pic </3 :(
    But if you tell me all your totals I could tell you where you went wrong??

Thank you! <3

Accumulated fund 718,660 (853,710 - 135,050)
    Income and Expenditure a/c 70,660 (297,710 - 227,050)
    Balance sheet the two balances were 906,670 and 909,820.

I'm scared to hear that they're all wrong now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lara_15

youre off by 1000 in the income and expenditure, (the expenditure section)

and the balancing figure is 904770

Fixed assets- 764400
    afterprizebonds and investments 838200
    Current assets (total) 74670
    Current liabilities total 8100

Financed by
    Reserves 718660
    LM 36450
    Levy reserve 80000
    Surplus of income 69660

youre off by 1000 in the income and expenditure, (the expenditure section)

and the balancing figure is 904770

Fixed assets- 764400
    Current assets (total) 74670
    Current liabilities total 8100

Financed by
    Reserves 718660
    LM 36450
    Levy reserve 80000
    Surplus of income 69660

I found where I went wrong, thank you! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

Fixed assets- 764400

Do prize bonds go in investments or CA? I presumed they'd go in investments, but in a marking scheme I saw them in current assets. It wouldn't affect the balancing but I'd like to have a definitive answer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭Daniel7740

peekachoo wrote: »
    I forgot you know where I live. Shít. :pac:

Haven't been in that lovely town in almost 12 months <\3

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

3537203.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭BauBau19

thelad95 wrote: »
    What if I said neither....?

Ohhh...Okay.

That's all I have to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Daniel7740 wrote: »
    Haven't been in that lovely town in almost 12 months <\3

It's been even longer since I've graced the streets of your looovely town :pac:

Just wondering, say if you get asked on something like similarities between Macbeth and L Macbeth, could you also refer to some differences? Like say although they do share similarities, there are also major differences? Or would that be considered going on a tangent :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭Daniel7740

peekachoo wrote: »
    It's been even longer since I've graced the streets of your looovely town :pac:

Your missing out. More chippers, pubs and bookies than you could ever dream of.

Weve a new big fancy garage now aswell :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

Can somone tell me in breif what the main differences in between the general vision and viewpoint and the cultural context? I've studied a load of different headings to write about each but I still don't get what the main difference is between them :pac:

robman60 wrote: »
    Do prize bonds go in investments or CA? I presumed they'd go in investments, but in a marking scheme I saw them in current assets. It wouldn't affect the balancing but I'd like to have a definitive answer!

I always put them in financial assets, with investments... pretty sure thats where they go, Think theyre stricter with that on final accounts, cant see them taking marks off in a club for something as petty as that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

Lads how accurate would you want to be if you're quoting from the comparative texts? I mean, the corrector will hardly have a copy of 1984 and Sive handy to check if they're right....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭Saskatchewan

robman60 wrote: »

Prize bonds go into the current asset section, as they can be sold for cash easily if need. Also its in the marking scheme that I have for the 2011 club account

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭chatterboxxx95

Badwulf wrote: »
    Can somone tell me in breif what the main differences in between the general vision and viewpoint and the cultural context? I've studied a load of different headings to write about each but I still don't get what the main difference is between them :pac:
    Cultural context is like the type of society in which they lived : social values, family life , role of men/ women at that particular time and how that has en effect on the story (eg in HMB the influence of the time on alec and Jerry's friendship because of religious conflicts/ social classes that existed at that time)
    GVV is like the overall out look of the text eg optimistic/ pessimistic (all my texts are profoundly pessimistic :pac: ) and what makes them so : the events the opening , the ending , language, imagery etc
    Hope that clears things a bit and someone correct me if im wrong I hate comparative :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭MrAweesome

Anyone doing German here? Its so hard to predict :(

whatever texts people are studying they all seem to be pessimistic :pac: as if we are not depressed enough with this lc :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Isitthough?

MrAweesome wrote: »
    Anyone doing German here? Its so hard to predict :(

Ikr only thing i can be doing atm is The odd listening and vocab and a bit of grammar. Teacher said you cant predict really just cover main topics like problems in young people and Umwelt but they can throw in anything so she said making your own German sentences is important. I think examiners like to see that too instead of people rewriting things from books

Cultural context is like the type of society in which they lived : social values, family life , role of men/ women at that particular time and how that has en effect on the story (eg in HMB the influence of the time on alec and Jerry's friendship because of religious conflicts/ social classes that existed at that time)
    GVV is like the overall out look of the text eg optimistic/ pessimistic (all my texts are profoundly pessimistic :pac: ) and what makes them so : the events the opening , the ending , language, imagery etc
    Hope that clears things a bit and someone correct me if im wrong I hate comparative :pac:

And for the question on GVAV that is seperated into two parts (parst 2), it usually first asks you to talk about ONE TEXT then on the next part (part b) it asks you to compare TWO TEXTS, should I compare all three on the second part (part b) or only two?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

Badwulf wrote: »

For GVV basically keep linking it back to whether it makes an optimistic or pessimistic tone for the text

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Hotale.com wrote: »
    Lads how accurate would you want to be if you're quoting from the comparative texts? I mean, the corrector will hardly have a copy of 1984 and Sive handy to check if they're right....

It depends. Sive and 1984 are two of the most common comparative texts so whoever's correcting your paper might know all the obvious quotes off by heart from years of teaching them.

Is there anyone here not doing Macbeth as single text? The bad thing is if you don't do it as a single text, it has to be done as part of the comparative....

can you make up statistics in your Paper 1 essay, like if youre doing a speech or something

can you make up statistics in your Paper 1 essay, like if youre doing a speech or something

funny fact, 78 percent of statistics are made up on the spot

1 in every 3 students makes up statistics for their english exam :P

No, they absolutely have to be 100% correct in line with the central statistics office records ......

Of course you can make them up just make sure they're plausible. As Oscar Wilde once said "Lies,damn lies and statistics"

It depends. Sive and 1984 are two of the most common comparative texts so whoever's correcting your paper might know all the obvious quotes off by heart from years of teaching them.

Is there anyone here not doing Macbeth as single text? The bad thing is if you don't do it as a single text, it has to be done as part of the comparative....

I thought that god-awful load of tripe "How Many Miles to Babylon" was the most used, no?

Hotale.com wrote: »
    I thought that god-awful load of tripe "How Many Miles to Babylon" was the most used, no?

Probably is but you're ones are pretty common too.

The King's Speech and Juno (not Juno and the Paycock) are on the 2016 syllabus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

I think I'm the only person in the country doing My Sisters Keeper for the comparative!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

We're doing Casablanca, it's great.

• Advertisement

Probably is but you're ones are pretty common too.

The King's Speech and Juno (not Juno and the Paycock) are on the 2016 syllabus.

I'd love to write about this scene in my comparative...

I love that film! It's actually so good :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement