Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2014 OT v2.0 - Official Bitch & Moan thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Poliana.xo

Never let me go is a great novel :P and Blade Runner is one of the biggest mistakes in the film history

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭Saskatchewan

Poliana.xo wrote: »
    Never let me go is a great novel :P and Blade Runner is one of the biggest mistakes in the film history

Blade Runner is actually a decent film. Roys speech at the end us perfect for all three modes of comparison. Also memories can be used under all three modes. Deckard is definitely a replicant though...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

thelad95 wrote: »
    It depends. Sive and 1984 are two of the most common comparative texts so whoever's correcting your paper might know all the obvious quotes off by heart from years of teaching them.

Wait..1984 was on the list?!

WHAT :mad:

Nineteen Eighty-Fucking-Four was on the list and I'm doing Sive and I'm Not Scared??!!!

Is it too late to change? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Poliana.xo

Blade Runner is actually a decent film. Roys speech at the end us perfect for all three modes of comparison. Also memories can be used under all three modes. Deckard is definitely a replicant though...

It has bits very suitable for comparison, but I hated the movie overall :P
    Yeah I think he is too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Aspiring wrote: »
    We're doing Casablanca, it's great.

I genuinely love casablanca!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭Daniel7740

Jealous you got 1984 as your text. HMMTB was decent I thought.

wasnt the worst alright. wuthering heights was some tripe though :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

1984 is terrible to do in class. You really have to read it on your own and drink a fúck-tonne of whiskey to have the real Airstrip One experience

In all fairness it's an extremely overrated book in my opinion. It does have an affect on you and it isn't a bad book, but people make out that it will change your life and that it's like the epitome of literary brilliance when it really just isn't. It does have an amazing setting, but the storytelling and use of language is extremely bland and really lets it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭LoveLamps

Sive is actually painfully bad, ins is the biggest load of bull ever and purple hibiscus is soooo boring, i geddit your dads a cnut doesnt mean it makes for an entertaining story
    I dont want to be friends with anyone who honestly says they enjoyed any of them

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Striving470

Primary...secondary....or tertiary irish regions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

peekachoo wrote: »
    I genuinely love casablanca!

Love watching it over and over, and love writing about it :P so glad we didn't get texts we dislike.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

1984, Catcher in the Rye, Pride and Prejudice, Casablanca..They had good books(and a movie) on the syllabus!

Ffs :(

I've done like 2 comparative essays in all of 6th year and I've read 1984 before..if I had found out 2 weeks ago, I could have totally switched :(

• Registered Users Posts: 42 courtney95

Primary...secondary....or tertiary irish regions?

Primary & Tertiary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Aspiring wrote: »
    Love watching it over and over, and love writing about it :P so glad we didn't get texts we dislike.

Lucky you. I love casablanca but sive and my sisters keeper are painful :P

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Striving470

courtney95 wrote: »
    Primary & Tertiary

What about Paris and Mezzogiorno?

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    1984, Catcher in the Rye, Pride and Prejudice, Casablanca..They had good books on the syllabus!

Ffs :(

I've done like 2 comparative essays in all of 6th year and I've read 1984 before..if I had found out 2 weeks ago, I could have totally switched :(

I'd love to have done Catcher, such a good book.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 courtney95

What about Paris and Mezzogiorno?

Secondary & Tertiary

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

Learned nearly the entire biology course in three weeks, bow before me mortals.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lara_15

Juno?! as in the film about the pregnant teenager.. thats an unusual one to be doing as a comparative! :O

How many quotes are you guys learning off for poetry and macbeth??

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭MrAweesome

Is anyone doing the road as a comparative?, great book!

Lara_15 wrote: »
    Juno?! as in the film about the pregnant teenager.. thats an unusual one to be doing as a comparative! :O

How many quotes are you guys learning off for poetry and macbeth??

I've about 40 on Lady Macbeth and 80 on Macbeth learned, about 10 learned for Macduff and I haven't even looked at Banquo yet :pac:

• Advertisement

Hotale.com wrote: »
    I've about 40 on Lady Macbeth and 80 on Macbeth learned, about 10 learned for Macduff and I haven't even looked at Banquo yet :pac:

bollox, thats alot.... I was thinking like 20
    Only starting on quotes now god help me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

Help needed! :o

For maths paper one, apart from this stuff is there any stuff that needs to be learned off (ie any other non intuitive maths stuff :rolleyes:)

Average value in integration
    Constructions of root 2 and root 3
    Proof by contradiction/proof root 2 is irrational
    Types of functions
    Proving de Moivres theorem for positive and negative numbers by induction
    Using de Moivres theorem to prove trig identities

Anything I'm missing? :o

20's probably enough :p

He's obsessed with Macbeth though, that certainly isn't normal nor expected of you :pac:

I'm not really sure how many I know in total but id say right now I know about 20 general ones on Macbeth and lady Macbeth, and aim to learn about 15 more before the exam on Banquo/ones specific to the banquet scene/kingship :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭chatterboxxx95

Badwulf wrote: »
    And for the question on GVAV that is seperated into two parts (parst 2), it usually first asks you to talk about ONE TEXT then on the next part (part b) it asks you to compare TWO TEXTS, should I compare all three on the second part (part b) or only two?

I think you just talk about the other 2 in part 2, and throw in the odd sentence of comparison back to part 1! Not fully sure though
    Guys if im doing cultural context is it enough to look at conflicts/social unrest ,family life , poverty , role of men , role of women for 70 marks?? I did a question ages ago for my teacher on those and she gave me 63/70 but reading it compared to notes and sample answers she gave us it seems awfully short and simplistic!:/ also how many pages do ye aim for comparative?

aleatorio wrote: »
    He's obsessed with Macbeth though, that certainly isn't normal nor expected of you :pac:

I'm not really sure how many I know in total but id say right now I know about 20 general ones on Macbeth and lady Macbeth, and aim to learn about 15 more before the exam on Banquo/ones specific to the banquet scene/kingship :P

Thank you very much for your non-heart attack inducing advice, much appreciated ;) :P
    Better get cracking so, how many are you doing for each poet??

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭ejayy

Calling all business people, would it be ok I I left out unit 6 and I'd the rest? U have a general idea about 6 ;)

Thank you very much for your non-heart attack inducing advice, much appreciated ;) :P

I learn off the poems, I just think it's easier than trying to think of quotes in my head. You could easily get 5 of Dickinson's learned in 3 hours.

I'm not obsessed with Macbeth :P

ejayy wrote: »
    Calling all business people, would it be ok I I left out unit 6 and I'd the rest? U have a general idea about 6 ;)

Yep, that's what I'm doing, have a knowledge of it for short questions and make sure to know unit 7 really well for Q3 though in case there aren't 3 questions you can answer in Section 2 of the long questions :pac:
    Unit 6 is horrible ><

Haha no problem :pac:

I do about 5 per poem, but it's a mix of just one or two word ones for examples of language and stuff, and longer ones for making points :o
    Generally it's about 20 per poet, and I'm doing 3 poets :o
    Hotale.com wrote: »

I'm not obsessed with Macbeth :P

Mhm...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭ejayy

aleatorio wrote: »
    Yep, that's what I'm doing, have a knowledge of it for short questions and make sure to know unit 7 really well for Q3 though in case there aren't 3 questions you can answer in Section 2 of the long questions :pac:
    Unit 6 is horrible ><

Thanks !:) I don't mind it to be fair but there's only 3 chapters in unit 7 compared to 5 in unit six!!

Business is a grand oul subject though!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement