Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2014 OT v2.0 - Official Bitch & Moan thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Keeks96

deedeebb wrote: »
    is anybody else completely screwed for home ec short questions? they are way too hard :(

Yes, absolutely screwed! The whole paper is really hit and miss :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

If Banquo came up for question 1 and Macduff for question 2 I would be beyond screwed.

Usually it's just the one character q :)
    If that did happen, the country would be in uproar :pac:

I must be the only person in the country who wants Banquo to come up :o

• Registered Users Posts: 23 deedeebb

Keeks96 wrote: »
    Yes, absolutely screwed! The whole paper is really hit and miss :/

I'm praying it's a nice paper :(

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

YOu guys are learning 20 quotes per character? :O I have about 4 per character :pac: didn't even use quotes in my mock and still got a C :pac: woulda got higher but I only got 20/70 on the cultural context because I only made 3 comparisions throughout the entire thing, thanks again mrs. campbell for remembering to tell the whole class that the most important thing to do was compare the texts more than 5 times, least she was nice enough to make it clear two weeks ago :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Actually speaking of comparative - I got 63/70 in my mock and I had like 26 comparisons, some in detail and others just mentioned but I had 26 Cs written by the examiner... how do ye go about it? :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

Question: can they actually take marks off you if your writing is a bit illegible. The one correcting our mocks did :O :( like my writing wasn't terrible but she seemed to do it for the whole class, I got half marks for mechanics on loads of questions with absolutely no spelling or grammar mistakes. What a c*nt ! where I made two spelling mistakes the dope didn't notice :/

I don't think they're allowed dock marks, but our chemistry teacher told us that a lot of the people aiming for 600 points before had terrible handwriting (doctor's handwriting and all that shît) and correctors were allowed just write illegible at the end of the exam paper and you'd get no marks, but if you got it recorrected they were obliged to actually give you a mark or something so then you'd get whatever mark you deserved, i.e they had to figure out what you were saying.

Sounds like a load of crap though tbh :p

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Keeks96

deedeebb wrote: »
    I'm praying it's a nice paper :(

I fear question 1 is going to be vitamin/mineral based rather than a macro :(
    But question 5 and the social elective should be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Would I get away with not learning any secondary activities for any regions? I honestly find it so uninteresting I really struggle to remember them. I have primary and tertiary activites covered for Irish, European and continental regions tho yay

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

If Banquo came up for question 1 and Macduff for question 2 I would be beyond screwed.

They won't. There'd be mutiny if that happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭LoveLamps

Why is everybody straying focus away from macbeth just cos he came up last year? I would not be surprised at all if he came up this year
    The title is his name
    The play is literally all about him
    Theres so many different things to ask

Dont shoot yourselves in the foot by being naive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭chatterboxxx95

Hotale.com wrote: »
    I don't think they're allowed dock marks, but our chemistry teacher told us that a lot of the people aiming for 600 points before had terrible handwriting (doctor's handwriting and all that shît) and correctors were allowed just write illegible at the end of the exam paper and you'd get no marks, but if you got it recorrected they were obliged to actually give you a mark or something so then you'd get whatever mark you deserved, i.e they had to figure out what you were saying.

Sounds like a load of crap though tbh :p

Holy sh!t!!! Guess I'll be practising my handwriting for the next few days :(:( My english teacher said its readable though so hopefully I'll be okay :pac:

Oh wow, ye count your quotes by character?? I just have loads of quotes and my own comments written beside them! Have about 5 back to back A4 sheets :O

peekachoo wrote: »
    Actually speaking of comparative - I got 63/70 in my mock and I had like 26 comparisons, some in detail and others just mentioned but I had 26 Cs written by the examiner... how do ye go about it? :P

I had 9 comparisons and got 67.... I really have to work on the comparative..

I hope I dont get some prack of an marker who disagrees with all my edgy, hip and youthful opinions and english and he penilises me marks for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lara_15

Could you mould a Kingship question into a character question and just talk about Macbeth Duncan and King edward and compare them as kings?

Lara_15 wrote: »
    Could you mould a Kingship question into a character question and just talk about Macbeth Duncan and King edward and compare them as kings?

You'd lose a load of purpose marks of it didn't suit the question.

Thats exactly what they dont want you to do :P They want students to think on their feet, examiners are trying their hardest when they set these exams so that students cant regurgitate a learnt essay.

Yes if you also added how kings where treated as gods back in shakesperian times and there various roles and powers you should get full marks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

In fairness that is basically what a kingship essay consists of.
    You're not moulding you're pretty much answering the question.

Split opinions about that kingship question :pac:

LoveLamps wrote: »
    Why is everybody straying focus away from macbeth just cos he came up last year? I would not be surprised at all if he came up this year
    The title is his name
    The play is literally all about him
    Theres so many different things to ask

Dont shoot yourselves in the foot by being naive

Exactly. Odds are it will be him. Either him or lady macbeth. People keep saying banquo or macduff could come up but its actually so unlikely, it would be a complete curveball and the SEC would be heavily critisied for it. Assume that the character question will be about macbeth!!
    Badwulf wrote: »
    Yes if you also added how kings where treated as gods back in shakesperian times and there various roles and powers you should get full marks

Thats not really relevant though you wouldnt get marks for it

• Advertisement

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Thats not really relevant though you wouldnt get marks for it

It sorta is? anything realted to kings in the play will get you marks?

It sorta is? anything realted to kings in the play will get you marks?

Yeah but there should be more focus on the potential kingship holds for good and how macbeth watsed that potential rather than how kings were treated well in medieval england :P

Wait, I read that wrong :p

Yeah you'd probably get away with doing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

Seeing you guys stressing so much for some obscure question on Macbeth makes me so glad I'm doing Never Let Me Go for the single text as the questions are bound to be far more general I think. I'm expecting something on Kathy H's narration or the horror of the reality for the characters.

Macbeth is okay for the comparative. I have about ten or fifteen quotes and I use the same incidents generally. It also gives a good anchor to the piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭2thousand14

time for a bita hurling!

I really like hurling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

Hotale.com wrote: »
    I really like hurling.

I has an All Ireland inter-county medal for it.

All Ireland minor division three champions 2013.

I really wouldn't say a question based on macduff could come up, maybe banquo but either one would lead to A LOT of butthurt

I really wouldn't say a question based on macduff could come up, maybe banquo but either one would lead to A LOT of butthurt

I would be so pissed if a Macduff Q came up

• Advertisement

robman60 wrote: »
    I has an All Ireland inter-county medal for it.

All Ireland minor division three champions 2013.

Fair play :p Didn't even think they played hurling in Mayo tbh :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement