Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2014 OT v2.0 - Official Bitch & Moan thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

Aspiring wrote: »
    Is it better to do your poetry essay in English poem by poem (i.e. 1 poem per paragraph) or talk about several poems in one paragraph. I've always done it the first way but I noticed my poetry essay was my poorest mark on my mock, however it could have been because it was extremely rushed towards the end of the exam.

If you do it poem-by-poem you should really try to compare and contrast in each paragraph, so for example if you're talking about Dickinson and you're writing a paragraph about "I Felt a Funeral In My Brain" you might want to just write a few sentences showing how the idea of metal anguish and death are prevalent in both this and "I Heard a Fly Buzz When I Died", or any other poem that shares the theme. That's how I do it anyway :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Hotale.com wrote: »
    If you do it poem-by-poem you should really try to compare and contrast in each paragraph, so for example if you're talking about Dickinson and you're writing a paragraph about "I Felt a Funeral In My Brain" you might want to just write a few sentences showing how the idea of metal anguish and death are prevalent in both this and "I Heard a Fly Buzz When I Died", or any other poem that shares the theme. That's how I do it anyway :P

Yeah that's what I do.

Yeah that's what I do.

You probably just ran out of time so, I got about 95% on my poetry essay for the mocks doing it that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

I always do each poem completely separately and then talk about an overall impact in my closing paragraph. I got 47/50 in my mock and 50/50 in a subsequent mock doing it that way. It's not like the comparative where you're constantly trying to make crappy comparisons, so I don't see why you'd approach it that way.

robman60 wrote: »
    I always do each poem completely separately and then talk about an overall impact in my closing paragraph. I got 47/50 in my mock and 50/50 in a subsequent mock doing it that way. It's not like the comparative where you're constantly trying to make crappy comparisons, so I don't see why you'd approach it that way.

I thought English was one of those subjects where you never got full marks, like some parts of music and art..

• Advertisement

You probably just ran out of time so, I got about 95% on my poetry essay for the mocks doing it that way.

In class homework/tests I usually get A2/A1 this way so probably the time thing or the examiner. He was fairly poor and it was quite evident that he rushed his way through it to get as many done as he could. But anyway, that won't happen in the real thing so I won't worry too much about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭LoveLamps

Lads on my business mock there was an ABQ question on managent skills (which i got wrong as i mixed it up with activities!)
    But it was 30 marks.. What mgt skills are there? Im struggling to find six.. I have:
    Leadership
    Motovation
    Communication
    Delegation
    Resolving conflict

And im not even sure if the last two are mgt skills!! Gah

EDIT: come to think of it, maybe it was 2 bullets on leadership, motivation and communication...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

LoveLamps wrote: »
    Lads on my business mock there was an ABQ question on managent skills (which i got wrong as i mixed it up with activities!)
    But it was 30 marks.. What mgt skills are there? Im struggling to find six.. I have:
    Leadership
    Motovation
    Communication
    Delegation
    Resolving conflict

And im not even sure if the last two are mgt skills!! Gah

There are only three. Leading Motivating Communicating. Usually the marking scheme would be something like this:
    State= 2 marks
    Explain=3 + 2 marks
    Link = 2 marks

I hate ABQ's though. They pretty much some up the wishy-washy nature of business.

My friend's friend is studying 8am-1pm, 2pm-6pm, and 7pm-10pm since he finished school last Wednesday.

Would you be f*cking bothered?

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lara_15

Any accounting people have a solution for this years examcraft mock??
    Can't get my service to balance

• Advertisement

Lara_15 wrote: »
    Any accounting people have a solution for this years examcraft mock??
    Can't get my service to balance

Did DEB but you could post the question and we could all try it :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

My friend's friend is studying 8am-1pm, 2pm-6pm, and 7pm-10pm since he finished school last Wednesday.

Would you be f*cking bothered?

That is some serious desperation right there. Doubt most of it is productive though, 10hours of study a day is pretty much impossible I would've thought.

That is some serious desperation right there. Doubt most of it is productive though, 10hours of study a day is pretty much impossible I would've thought.

Love the username :pac:

It's a bit of a joke really. He's a clever guy without study anyway, he could probably get away with half the study and come out with 550 points+.

I can hardly manage 3 hours without getting seriously distracted.

How much study a day should we doin ? 6/7 hours ?? I mean when we get off from school

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭Kyro

Poliana.xo wrote: »
    Accounting peoples, do you know if you lose marks in final accounts for not splitting your expenses into admin and selling&distribution in profit and loss? My teacher never told us to divide them, so just wondering does it matter?

Yes, you will lose marks for not having the headings and also if you put an expense under the wrong heading.

It's simple enough really to figure out which is which.

thelad95 wrote: »
    There are only three. Leading Motivating Communicating. Usually the marking scheme would be something like this:
    State= 2 marks
    Explain=3 + 2 marks
    Link = 2 marks

I hate ABQ's though. They pretty much some up the wishy-washy nature of business.
    Looking back at my mock, i got 10 marks for a single bullet point on delegation

How much study a day should we doin ? 6/7 hours ?? I mean when we get off from school

Depends really, I'll do about 4/5 I'd say. 3 hours of geography and an hour or two of some other subjects. I'm lucky though really, I've only 4 subjects I need to study because I do pass in Irish and French, and technology is the easiest subject ever. I just really have to go over the comparative for English as well so i don't feel like I'm under that much pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭Kyro

Looking back at my mock, i got 10 marks for a single bullet point on delegation

The ABQ is such a stupid question - I hate it. The only thing that I think could prevent me from getting an A1. Sometimes I've no idea what to say for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Love the username :pac:

It's a bit of a joke really. He's a clever guy without study anyway, he could probably get away with half the study and come out with 550 points+.

I can hardly manage 3 hours without getting seriously distracted.

I'm assuming he's aiming for a high points course. Some of my friends get ridiculous grades with very little study, one of them did a couple of hours for the mocks and got 615. They just happen to be 'mathsy' people and chose subjects that suited them perfectly (app maths, physics etc)

I'm assuming he's aiming for a high points course. Some of my friends get ridiculous grades with very little study, one of them did a couple of hours for the mocks and got 615. They just happen to be 'mathsy' people and chose subjects that suited them perfectly (app maths, physics etc)

I think he needs 460 or something... I chose all the wrong subjects :pac:

• Advertisement

There's really not that many mathsy subjects. You have to do a lot of theory based stuff for almost every subject, including the mathsy ones, with the exception of Applied Maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭MrAweesome

Am i safe just doing - Theme and issue and Vision and Viewpoint?

MrAweesome wrote: »

Yes, one has to come up. Wouldn't hurt to do a third one though just in case it's a nice question.

MrAweesome wrote: »

If you do two your safe. There's only 3 on the curriculum for us so if you do 2 you're guaranteed at least one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

... metal anguish ...
    I think it's called "metal fatigue".

Sorry! >_>

I think it's called "metal fatigue".

Sorry! >_>

When on earth did I post metal anguish? :pac:

Edit: Ah, typo. :P

Double edit: Shut up Randy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

When on earth did I post metal anguish? :pac:

Edit: Ah, typo. :P

Double edit: Shut up Randy.

Yeah shut up Randy we're under enough pressure without you being a Grammar Nazi :pac:

Sum peeple have the wurst grammer

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Daniel2590 wrote: »
    Yeah shut up Randy we're under enough pressure without you being a Grammar Nazi :pac:

Paraphrasing someone from AH here but randy is a Grammar Commie. Grammar for the people, he says.

• Advertisement

Sum peeple have the wurst grammer

Sausage grammar? :confused:

I couldn't stop laughing when I found out that the person who won Eurovison's translated name was "Pussy Sausage", I'm such a child :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement