Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2014 OT v2.0 - Official Bitch & Moan thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Badwulf wrote: »
    OH I forgot the best one :P one kid is coming into each exam an hour early with one of those invisible pen marker things, he is then going to write ALL over the walls as many notes as he can with the marker and then when he needs to use the bathroom he has a UV light attached to his belt (a kinda keychain that looks like its part of his keys) and shines it all over the walls reading the notes, he done this for his mock and it somehow worked well on his end

OH MY GOD. Thats crazy but its kind of admirable how much effort hes putting into his cheating :p
    In my school when we do exams they give out little booklets of normal white paper to do rough work in during the exam. Lots of the time these arent used or students drop them on the ground or whatever and theyre just left there and I was just thinking how easy it would be to steal one of those and bring it home, write essays on the inside of the booklet so its plain from the outside then drop it on the floor near your table . Then the morning of the next exam you could pick it off the floor and keep it beside you ,open it during middle of the exam and examiner would just think its roughwork

Id never take the risk tho:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Can someone tell me what P L C and M stand for in the marking of english?

Purpose: Did you achieve what the question asked
    Language: Vocab, how you use your language etc
    Coherence of Delivery: Is all of your answer relevant, structure your answer sensibly
    Mechanics: Spelling grammar etc
    bb1234567 wrote: »
    OH MY GOD. Thats crazy but its kind of admirable how much effort hes putting into his cheating :p
    In my school when we do exams they give out little booklets of normal white paper to do rough work in during the exam. Lots of the time these arent used or students drop them on the ground or whatever and theyre just left there and I was just thinking how easy it would be to steal one of those and bring it home, write essays on the inside of the booklet so its plain from the outside then drop it on the floor near your table . Then the morning of the next exam you could pick it off the floor and keep it beside you ,open it during middle of the exam and examiner would just think its roughwork

Id never take the risk tho:pac:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRq4ZvsRUG7rQsid5vBuCumxfP5Lfrg9NoEl4L9j1E5npJWRTpXAg

cheat-on-test-3.jpg?w=500&h=192

Personally I think that^^^^one is genius!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Robbyb525

Okay so I'm new here.
    Pretty much just looking for advice!
    I've done Yeats for English and I'm doing Dickinson now I should be okay with them two. But regarding Macbeth? I've the worst English teacher ever! She hasn't ever given us a note. I got a teacher I know else where to send me English notes and I've a answer on kingship and a few other brief things! I don't even know one quote yet for Macbeth but I'm starting now! Should I look at answers and learn them for kingship and lady Macbeth and take the risk? Or should I go through each scene now learning key quotes and wing it on the day? I got a B2 for the mock, In my opinion the paper was very easy! Nice lady Macbeth question and Dickinson. Only looking for the same grade again for the real thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

Daniel2590 wrote: »
    Well this must certainly be the best timing ever for a break up... :(

Awh no :(
    I know how you feel, went through a bad breakup there a few weeks ago and I'm only starting to bounce back from it now -
    I know it can be hard but try not let it interfere with your exams, use them as a distraction rather than a burden :)

Robbyb525 wrote: »
    Okay so I'm new here.
    Pretty much just looking for advice!
    I've done Yeats for English and I'm doing Dickinson now I should be okay with them two. But regarding Macbeth? I've the worst English teacher ever! She hasn't ever given us a note. I got a teacher I know else where to send me English notes and I've a answer on kingship and a few other brief things! I don't even know one quote yet for Macbeth but I'm starting now! Should I look at answers and learn them for kingship and lady Macbeth and take the risk? Or should I go through each scene now learning key quotes and wing it on the day? I got a B2 for the mock, In my opinion the paper was very easy! Nice lady Macbeth question and Dickinson. Only looking for the same grade again for the real thing!

Learn 20 quotes well that can be fit into pretty much any essay, then just learn the motivations of each character and their peronsalities. I guarantee youll do well if you know even that :)

Also just learn little quotes , theyre easier to remember. Like lennox says he would offer his blood as 'medicine' in the 'countrys purge' and Caithness talks of the need to 'dew the sovereign flower and drown the weeds' . theyre two easy quotes that I find a way of fitting into every essay!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 sammydev

So for Macbeth I have macbeths character, nature and good V's evil done and im planning to do lady macbeth and appearance V's reality tomorrow do I need to do any more?

sammydev wrote: »
    So for Macbeth I have macbeths character, nature and good V's evil done and im planning to do lady macbeth and appearance V's reality tomorrow do I need to do any more?

Nah youre covered

• Registered Users Posts: 40 sammydev

Nah youre covered

But there's things like banquo and kingship and I stress a bit....

Learn 20 quotes well that can be fit into pretty much any essay, then just learn the motivations of each character and their peronsalities. I guarantee youll do well if you know even that :)

Also just learn little quotes , theyre easier to remember. Like lennox says he would offer his blood as 'medicine' in the 'countrys purge' and Caithness talks of the need to 'dew the sovereign flower and drown the weeds' . theyre two easy quotes that I find a way of fitting into every essay!

Thanks a million! So do you think learning 10 Macbeth quotes and 10 Lady Macbeth then maybe another 10 small ones like you mentioned on Lennox, banquo, fleance Duncan? Which characters should I know a lot about besides the obvious Macbeth and LM?

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

Thanks a million! So do you think learning 10 Macbeth quotes and 10 Lady Macbeth then maybe another 10 small ones like you mentioned on Lennox, banquo, fleance Duncan? Which characters should I know a lot about besides the obvious Macbeth and LM?

Banquo, Macduff maybe? There's not a lot to either but they both have significant roles

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

examiner cant really ask them to hitch up their skirts and show him their thighs ha

Well, not with that attitude.

a0ifee wrote: »
    Banquo, Macduff maybe? There's not a lot to either but they both have significant roles

Okay thanks! Anyone think there's much chance of yeats coming up? I know him well and would love if he came up.

You dont need to know a lot about anybody other than Macbeth and LAdy Macbeth, just learn a bit about how the other characters influence macbeth and lady macbeth etc like the guilt M feels after murdering banquo, how banquo told M not to listen to the prophecies, how lady Macbeth couldnt murder duncan as he resembled her father just little points like that etc etc
    sammydev wrote: »
    But there's things like banquo and kingship and I stress a bit....

A banquo question is extremely unlikely and if you know Macbeths character well its very easy to craft it into a kingship essay!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

Whats the best way to get high marks in a poetry question its been bugging me all day :( just like waffle on about the poems and how they make you feel?

Whats the best way to get high marks in a poetry question its been bugging me all day :( just like waffle on about the poems and how they make you feel?

Lots of personal response yes! That gets the high marks, not just talking about what the poems about thats junior cert stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

- Don't waffle - Refer back to the question a lot - Give personal opinions(or at least make ones you learned sound personal ;)) - Have good topic sentences - Try compare the poems to each other - Above all else, make sure to answer the actual question asked, and not what you'd prefer for them to have asked! (I do that a lot :rolleyes:) :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

Aleatorio did u get my pm? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Striving470

In cultural context or theme...how would you refer back to question without repetition? Would you mention it at the beginning/end of each paragraph point?orrrr...it completely screwed my mock result. Spent too long,and didn't get unseen/prescribed poetry finished.

In cultural context or theme...how would you refer back to question without repetition? Would you mention it at the beginning/end of each paragraph point?orrrr...it completely screwed my mock result. Spent too long,and didn't get unseen/prescribed poetry finished.

If it was cultural context you would refer back to the point you were talking about. Like if you said at the beginning of a CC question youd talk about social class,marriage, war and violence etc . So if you were saying something like 'Chris keller endured the agony of watching his entire unit being slaughtered on the battlefields of ww2' then youd say ' this emphasises the violent and bloody cultural backdrop of this play. etc idk sorry if that was a bad example:P

If it was cultural context you would refer back to the point you were talking about. Like if you said at the beginning of a CC question youd talk about social class,marriage, war and violence etc . So if you were saying something like 'Chris keller endured the agony of watching his entire unit being slaughtered on the battlefields of ww2' then youd say ' this emphasises the violent and bloody cultural backdrop of this play. etc idk sorry if that was a bad example:P

I'm looking at 2006 for example,it says the cultural context adds enjoyment to a narrative...
    Would I have to keep rereferencing this at the start/end of Paragraph on (social setting,role of women,social rituals etc?) if you get me:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

I'm looking at 2006 for example,it says the cultural context adds enjoyment to a narrative...
    Would I have to keep rereferencing this at the start/end of Paragraph on (social setting,role of women,social rituals etc?) if you get me:)

Say if you're comparing marriage or something, you can stick in "Gaining an understanding of the different views of marriage in each of the texts has definitely added to my enjoyment of the narratives." Something like that, but you'd need to refer to the exact words of 'enjoyment of a narrative' in every paragraph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

Please can somebody help me with comparative. It's my worst part of English. I got a B in each section in paper two in the mock and then an E in the comparative section. I just don't know how to make comparative points or what they even are. I am willing to put in the hours between now and Thursday to fix this. I am focusing on General Vision and Viewpoint.

What am I supposed to learn for cultural context and how many comparative points are required?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

what do you guys think the chances of
    photosynthsis
    respiration
    defense immunity
    plant reproduction
    ecology
    enzymes
    human reproduction
    cell division
    food
    genitics
    breathing system
    excretion
    have coming up in higher bio?

Theme or cultural context....covered both,but what's more likely on the day?

Theme or cultural context....covered both,but what's more likely on the day?

What did you learn for cultural context? My teacher said he thinks cultural context is more likely but to have studied them all.

Please can somebody help me with comparative. It's my worst part of English. I got a B in each section in paper two in the mock and then an E in the comparative section. I just don't know how to make comparative points or what they even are. I am willing to put in the hours between now and Thursday to fix this. I am focusing on General Vision and Viewpoint.

What am I supposed to learn for cultural context and how many comparative points are required?

A comparative means youre comparing the texts. It can be a difference or similarity! Alec in HMMB lives in a restricted home environment, he is the product of a loveless marriage and tries to escape the domestic turmoil by going to war. His mother is cruel and deprives him of formal schooling, this hinders his development as a young man , in the same way that Kate Keller in AMS restricts CHris by not allowing him to marry Anne Deever who in her eyes is still 'larrys girl'. Her unshakeable belief that larry is still alive restricts Chris and hinders his development as a young man, just like Alec.

Thats a valid comparative between the two texts HMMB and AMS.

What did you learn for cultural context? My teacher said he thinks cultural context is more likely but to have studied them all.

Its not more likely. GVVP didnt come up last year so its most likely. Im only studying Cultural context in case GVVP doesnt come up

A comparative means youre comparing the texts. It can be a difference or similarity! Alec in HMMB lives in a restricted home environment, he is the product of a loveless marriage and tries to escape the domestic turmoil by going to war. His mother is cruel and deprives him of formal schooling, this hinders his development as a young man , in the same way that Kate Keller in AMS restricts CHris by not allowing him to marry Anne Deever who in her eyes is still 'larrys girl'. Her unshakeable belief that larry is still alive restricts Chris and hinders his development as a young man, just like Alec.

Thats a valid comparative between the two texts HMMB and AMS.

Thank You so much, I honestly have such a bad understanding of the comparative. Is the best way to study for the comparative writing out loads of different comparative points?

Thank You so much, I honestly have such a bad understanding of the comparative. Is the best way to study for the comparative writing out loads of different comparative points?

You could do that if you had the time! Writing out is so time consuming though so I just flick over my teachers notes find it easier :) Did your teacher not give you notes on comparative?

• Advertisement

You could do that if you had the time! Writing out is so time consuming though so I just flick over my teachers notes find it easier :) Did your teacher not give you notes on comparative?

I can never remember stuff if i don't write it out haha. I will write them all out tonight and learn them tomorrow. Who needs sleep :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement