Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2014 OT v2.0 - Official Bitch & Moan thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭LoveLamps

Lads I need to tackle theme or issue tomorrow. I'm doing the Abuse of Power in Sive, Purple Hibiscus and I'm Not Scared (texts not really important)

BUT, my problem.

How do I make an essay on a theme??

Like realistically, you could write about the Abuse of Power as 1 paragraph in a Cultural Context question!!

I haven't done an Abuse Of Power essay since about Christmas I'd say and have sweet fcuk all notes on it (like 1 a4 page....)

Any help at all my comrades! Praying Cultural Context comes up...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

LoveLamps wrote: »
    Lads I need to tackle theme or issue tomorrow. I'm doing the Abuse of Power in Sive, Purple Hibiscus and I'm Not Scared (texts not really important)

BUT, my problem.

Like realistically, you could write about the Abuse of Power as 1 paragraph in a Cultural Context question!!

I haven't done an Abuse Of Power essay since about Christmas I'd say and have sweet fcuk all notes on it (like 1 a4 page....)

Focus on GVVP not theme or cultural context. And abuse of power is a theme, it can work for cultural context, theme and GVVP question. The three question types all have huge overlap so if you know your texts well you can answer any question on it so dont worry about it just answer the question in the exam, refer back to it a lot and make lots of comparisons between your texts :) Comparative is the easiest part of english they dont expect indepth knowlegde of your texts so dont worry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Poliana.xo

guyzz im stressing out. What are the chances of GVAV not coming up?? I know it so well, and absolutely hate Cultural Context :( I know it fairly well, but I would never do as well in it as I could in GVAV.. :( and we haven't done theme so.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

Poliana.xo wrote: »
    guyzz im stressing out. What are the chances of GVAV not coming up?? I know it so well, and absolutely hate Cultural Context :( I know it fairly well, but I would never do as well in it as I could in GVAV.. :( and we haven't done theme so.. :rolleyes:
    I think it's very unlikely the exact two that came up last year will come up. I prefer cultural context to GVAV but I'm focusing on GVAV because I'm confident it'll appear.

I'm not particularly fond of GVAV really. Do you just focus on the effect of events on the overall positivity or negativity of the piece?

Poliana.xo wrote: »

Small chance it wont come up but its more likely than the other two :) BUt why do you hate cultural context?? I dont get how somebody could hate one comparative question and not the other theyre so similar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

So in a nutshell GVAV is about the levels of optimisim and pessimism and CC is about the various different things that affect the texts like social class and woman and war?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Poliana.xo

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Small chance it wont come up but its more likely than the other two :) BUt why do you hate cultural context?? I dont get how somebody could hate one comparative question and not the other theyre so similar

I know that once you know the texts well you can answer anything, but questions are still very different. Like in GVAV I like talking about the pessimist, how it affects everything etc, I find it easy to compare and contrast the texts, and it just suits me :P

While in CC, my teacher didn't cover it particularly well and it's just different style, I don't particularly like all the aspects we are doing. Like I could answer a question on it, but I wouldn't do as well in CC :P

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

Out of intrest here what did you guys make for your construction practicals? I made a Daft punk helmet clock which had a visor and LED lights, it was mounted onto a wooden DJ deck

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Focus on GVVP not theme or cultural context. And abuse of power is a theme, it can work for cultural context, theme and GVVP question. The three question types all have huge overlap so if you know your texts well you can answer any question on it so dont worry about it just answer the question in the exam, refer back to it a lot and make lots of comparisons between your texts :) Comparative is the easiest part of english they dont expect indepth knowlegde of your texts so dont worry

We never did GVV only CC and Theme or Issure

I don't even know what GVV is and NO WAY am I gonna learn it in a day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Badwulf wrote: »
    Out of intrest here what did you guys make for your construction practicals? I made a Daft punk helmet clock which had a visor and LED lights, it was mounted onto a wooden DJ deck

That sounds claaaassss :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

peekachoo wrote: »
    That sounds claaaassss :cool:

It actually does, I presume you're not allowed show us at the minute? :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

This hasn't worked..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭Daniel7740

Well a lad I know has pictures of his up on fb...

We never did GVV only CC and Theme or Issure

I don't even know what GVV is and NO WAY am I gonna learn it in a day

Its not hard to learn all you do is relate the events of the text to the outlook of the text. Is it gloomy/bleak or positive/happy? Thats basically it I swear. GVV is the easiest

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭LaughingOwl

BUT, my problem.

For my texts the theme is loneliness and isolation and what we did was split it up, for example emotional isolation, keys of leaving isolation, etc.
    I have no idea what your texts are but for abuse of power maybe you could split it up into government abuse of power, abuse of power in relantionships and there are probably more examples you could find in your texts. Then set up some key moments, as well as the all important comparisons and bam theme and issue is done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭accountname

Anyone else doing Garage for their Comparative? It was on RTE there so that'll thankfully save time tomorrow :P

Out of interest, what text/play/movie combinations are you all doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 sammydev

Anyone else doing Garage for their Comparative? It was on RTE there so that'll thankfully save time tomorrow :P

Sive, how many milies to babylon and im not scared , probably the worst combination

Im doing how many miles to babylon(novel) Im not scared(film) and All my sons (play) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Striving470

My mam confiscated my phone. I confiscated it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Sive, Casablanca and My Sisters Keeper.
    I mentioned yesterday that I'm the only one I've ever heard doing MSK this year (my class did it last yr) which is strange really cos regarding modes of comparison it links scarily well with Casablanca :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

Why do I do this to myself.. Going to be up all night learning stuff for the comparative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Why do I do this to myself.. Going to be up all night learning stuff for the comparative.

I'm sure we'll all be up all night learning off quotes etc :P

Seen a good few people predict Banquo now...cba studying him at this stage, too lazy :pac:

I'm sure we'll all be up all night learning off quotes etc :P

Seen a good few people predict Banquo now...cba studying him at this stage, too lazy :pac:

Same haven't a notion of learning him off. What I know will have to do me at this stage haha

Same haven't a notion of learning him off. What I know will have to do me at this stage haha

Exactly! I'm at that stage where everything I already know and learn from cramming the night before will have to do me

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Robbyb525

Sive, Brooklyn, How many miles to Babylon, theme of forbidden relationship! CC is class culture etc. anyone have notes on these or know of a good website for notes on the comparative for these?

I only know 3 poets. I am so scared its not even funny anymore! All that effort could be for nothing if one of them at least doesn't come up :(

I only know 3 poets. I am so scared its not even funny anymore! All that effort could be for nothing if one of them at least doesn't come up :(

I only know Heaney and Dickinson...the others I find too boring to study

Why Why Why did I ignore English since the mocks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I only know 3 poets. I am so scared its not even funny anymore!
    So settle your nerves and have a quick look at another two as back-up! :p

• Advertisement

Ugh ugh ugh
    Have to learn EVERYTHING about Macbeth AND the theme of Abuse of Power today
    Need to finalise poetry too

Praying for Yeats/Cultural Context and something kingship or evil or someyhing sinple like in the mocks 'Macbeth presents us with many moments of despair and few moments of hope' i mean come on

First though im going back to sleep til 9.30

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement