Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2014 OT v2.0 - Official Bitch & Moan thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭BauBau19

Poliana.xo wrote: »
    Enough if you're lucky and have a good standard :P
    You're taking quite a big risk with Macbeth and poetry

Well. I went to the Dublin School of grinds for a week and they said Dickinson is most likely. I'll have a look over Larkin as well.

For Macbeth. The only other thing they could ask really is Lady Macbeth. I could come up with something on the spot considering I've done her relationship with Macbeth.

I did horrible in my mocks. Had conjunctivitis for paper 2. Could barely see the paper and still ended up with a D1 overall :P Hoping for a C1.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭LoveLamps

Can anyvody pm me an essay plan for LM. And good vs evil???

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Fiolina

Just want to wish everyone the very best of luck for tomorrow. My son is sitting it and I'm more nervous than him! :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Fiolina wrote: »
    Just want to wish everyone the very best of luck for tomorrow. My son is sitting it and I'm more nervous than him! :):)

Dont say that to him!! Wont help his nerves :p hate when my mam tells me shes worried about me !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Fiolina

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Dont say that to him!! Wont help his nerves :p hate when my mam tells me shes worried about me !

Ah no, I won't. Haven't even seen him today, he's been at the library since early. I want to try and get him to wind down and relax tonight :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

Just had a nap there for half an hour and had a dream where i didn't get up until 10 o'clock tomorrow, it genuinely terrified me. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭MrAweesome

For Yeats I'm only doing three poems, is that enough? They are in depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭LoveLamps

No

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

MrAweesome wrote: »
    For Yeats I'm only doing three poems, is that enough? They are in depth.

Just flick over a fourth, dont learn quotes for it just know what its about :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 HassanNat95

Good luck tomorrow all of you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 c0unterpart

I was in my exam center today and I have the worlds ****test desk nah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

I was in my exam center today and I have the worlds ****test desk nah

Great. Now I'm terrified I'm gonna get a shítty table/chair. The most logical thing to be worried about :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 27 c0unterpart

peekachoo wrote: »
    Great. Now I'm terrified I'm gonna get a shítty table/chair. The most logical thing to be worried about :pac:

going in early to ask to moved ahah,best thing to do

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Saxo

Best of luck everyone :)

btw has anyone got some tips for stopping myself from becoming narrative? I have severe problems with this and I just end up recounting the whole story!

Have people actually been studying for Paper 1? :pac:

I'm just gonna look over the format of writing letters/speeches etc. for about half an hour, I don't think I can do much more....
    Saxo wrote: »
    btw has anyone got some tips for stopping myself from becoming narrative? I have severe problems with this and I just end up recounting the whole story!

In what part of the exam?

Hotale.com wrote: »
    In what part of the exam?

Any part that requires a long answer. :p
    Seriously? I think I do it the worst in the comparative tbh, really fecks up my marks.

All you really can do is be disciplined now that I think of it... Maybe go topic-by-topic instead of chronologically?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I'm just gonna look over the format of writing letters/speeches etc. for about half an hour, I don't think I can do much more....
    A good exercise to get your brain in the right mode is to pick a few essay titles from past papers, think how you might approach them and just jot down an essay plan for each ... i.e. 7-8 bullet points, 1 roughly corresponding to each paragraph.

Keep reminding yourself to refer back to the question and structure the answer around that!

There was a podcast on spin earlier with yer man from the institute which I thought was good advice actually he said to remind yourself that you're being asked to respond to someone elses statement (like youre not actually asked to talk about macbeth the play, but instead to respond to a statement and refer to the play). :D

All you really can do is be disciplined now that I think of it... Maybe go topic-by-topic instead of chronologically?

I'm just gonna have to think carefully about what I'm writing, normally I let myself go and just get into the writing and let my brain go on auto-pilot. I have some really bad habits when it comes to English, I often don't even plan out my answers I just rush straight into it.
    btw, how long should a short story be? I wrote near enough 8 pages for one in my pre's.

• Advertisement

A good exercise to get your brain in the right mode is to pick a few essay titles from past papers, think how you might approach them and just jot down an essay plan for each ... i.e. 7-8 bullet points, 1 roughly corresponding to each paragraph.

That's a good idea actually Randy, cheers! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17 wafture

does anyone know the english paper 1 timing there ? completely forgot about timing hahah

I'm just gonna have to think carefully about what I'm writing, normally I let myself go and just get into the writing and let my brain go on auto-pilot. I have some really bad habits when it comes to English, I often don't even plan out my answers I just rush straight into it.
    btw, how long should a short story be? I wrote near enough 8 pages for one in my pre's.

:eek:

I think 1000-1500 words is the suggested amount, but I don't think it really matters as long as it is actually a suitable length. Like, you wouldn't want 800 words describing the start, 500 for the middle then 100 for the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

4.5 to 5.5 pages is what we've always been told to do for the essay, I don't even know how you could get to 8 pages :pac:

peekachoo wrote: »
    Keep reminding yourself to refer back to the question and structure the answer around that!

There was a podcast on spin earlier with yer man from the institute which I thought was good advice actually he said to remind yourself that you're being asked to respond to someone elses statement (like youre not actually asked to talk about macbeth the play, but instead to respond to a statement and refer to the play). :D

But that wastes time :p
    I think I'm gonna have to take my time with this and really think about what I'm saying, sometimes the only way I can see getting points across is by telling a small part of what happens but idk why.
    I'm f***ed. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

Does anyone else here feel that there english mock was graded and marked very hardly?

I mean like, VERY HARDLY

:eek:

I think 1000-1500 words is the suggested amount, but I don't think it really matters as long as it is actually a suitable length. Like, you wouldn't want 800 words describing the start, 500 for the middle then 100 for the end.
    Daniel2590 wrote: »
    4.5 to 5.5 pages is what we've always been told to do for the essay, I don't even know how you could get to 8 pages :pac:

Thanks lads :) I have a mad imagination, I think it was a title about a war torn country that they gave us for the pre and I'm mad into military stuff so I had a lot to say. :o

But that wastes time :p
    I think I'm gonna have to take my time

:confused: Don't contradict yourself like that tomorrow anyway :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

:confused: Don't contradict yourself like that tomorrow anyway :pac:

Shouldn't you be studying for your leaving cert instead of bothering other people? ;)

• Advertisement

Better to "waste" time thinking about the question than going off on a tangent mid-essay:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement