Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2014 OT v2.0 - Official Bitch & Moan thread

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I was just being helpful! :(:(:(

Bloody cheek! :mad: Should you not be studying?

:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

peekachoo wrote: »
    Trig <3

Sure we all know you like a bittatrig ;)

IDC that that was like 8 months ago :P

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Striving470

How would you structure a comprehension? Don't want to lose silly marks...
    Intro:address question,and briefly outline the points you will make in later paragraphs?
    First para:Point,explain,quote,explain,personal response? And so on and on and on?

Want a high grade...but this ducked me up big time in the mocks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

HugsiePie wrote: »
    Sure we all know you like a bittatrig ;)

IDC that that was like 8 months ago :P

CAN YOU NOT. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭2thousand14

for the comprehensions usually there are questions about the style the writer uses. do you just talk about Images, language , quotes/references etc..?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

robman60 wrote: »
    I'm starting to study today. Do you think it's possible for me to get 500 or do you have any stories of people who started the night before and got 500 points?

Sorry :o

Was that a dig at me m80? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

peekachoo wrote: »
    CAN YOU NOT. :pac:

Hehehehe

9062800860_57068b621b.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

for the comprehensions usually there are questions about the style the writer uses. do you just talk about Images, language , quotes/references etc..?

Yeah, usually the main ones common to most texts are evocative language, anecdotes, use of facts and stats, rhetorical questions and repetition, antithesis, allegory, personal language, triads and sense of place, and in speeches watch out for engagement with the audience and whatnot, and in descriptive writing look for metaphors, similes and verbs/imagery :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

HugsiePie wrote: »
    Hehehehe

9062800860_57068b621b.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

Quick question
    Does the personal essay have to have a plot?
    I was thinking (If I had no choice but to do the personal essay) of discussing a issue/topic in a personal way including some experiences but not with any plot/big twist... is that ok?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

Quick question
    Does the personal essay have to have a plot?
    I was thinking (If I had no choice but to do the personal essay) of discussing a issue/topic in a personal way including some experiences but not with any plot/big twist... is that ok?

Isn't a personal essay just writing about your feelings and making your personality shine through and all that? :P

I think what you're thinking is the right way to do it...

Hotale.com wrote: »
    Isn't a personal essay just writing about your feelings and making your personality shine through and all that? :P

I think what you're thinking is the right way to do it...

Okay thanks it's just that a lot of sample personal essays I have read have some kind of an event and always end with an epiphany of some sorts :rolleyes:

Okay thanks it's just that a lot of sample personal essays I have read have some kind of an event and always end with an epiphany of some sorts :rolleyes:

http://leavingcertenglish.net/2011/04/personal-essay/

This seems to be saying that you've the right idea :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sillysick

robman60 wrote: »
    I'm starting to study today. Do you think it's possible for me to get 500 or do you have any stories of people who started the night before and got 500 points?

Sorry :o

I got over 500 in the mocks after missing the first 3 months of school due to illness and I only studied the night before. If you believe you can achieve ;~))))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭Daniel7740

Lads yere getting it wicked easy this year.

http://leavingcertenglish.net/2011/04/personal-essay/

This seems to be saying that you've the right idea :p

Yeh I've read that but I feel like somehow they are really similar to speeches other than addressing the audience bit.
    Like some of the speeches I have written could easily have been personal esays too :rolleyes: I thought the difference may have some sort of a plot.

I get it now though thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

Is show Sin3A=4(sinA)^3+3SinA (thats might be right :P) Paper 1 or 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Days 298 wrote: »

Looks verrry much the same as an identity I posted the other day for De Moivre's theorem, in which case its paper one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

God I hope there's interesting personal essay(s) tomorrow. The only personal essay that has ever come up that I wouldn't have done on the day is that clothes one a few years back. So please, pray/focus all of your energy on hoping for an interesting title, for me. Something like truth or freedom would be spectacular, but both have come up already. Failing that, I'd do a descriptive essay, speech or article, which wouldn't be near as much fun.

What do yous all do?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Days 298 wrote: »

Looks like applications of De Moivre's theorem. Paper 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Guys for the descriptive essay does there need to be a plot? IM really good at bringing a place to life and describing but I dont really know how Id bring a descrpiptive essay to a close

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

In the short story, is it ok to stray away from the plot and kind of go into the narrators thoughts and stuff? Kind of like a personal essay within the story? Like the aspects of a short story are still there, just with a bit of introspect thrown in?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

Swear to god if I dont see heaney yeats or dickinson or plath on the paper I will have some kind of breakdown of my mental psyche in the exam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Guys for the descriptive essay does there need to be a plot? IM really good at bringing a place to life and describing but I dont really know how Id bring a descrpiptive essay to a close
    Doesn't need to be a plot. The best personal essay I've done is just about a walk in the forest near my house!

Only short stories need a plot and even then a subdued plot is probably better as it's really hard to avoid a clichéd plot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

bb1234567 wrote: »

To close it just go back to the title and write a suitable conclusion based on that in conjunction with what you've written throughout the essay.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 stevemanu

Do you guys normally read the corresponding text for your question B ? I know sometimes you have to. Don't know whether its a waste of valuable time or not. Could get inspiration but I don't want to copy from it at the same time. Yikes !

• Registered Users Posts: 16 stevemanu

Badwulf wrote: »
    Swear to god if I dont see heaney yeats or dickinson or plath on the paper I will have some kind of breakdown of my mental psyche in the exam

Heaney , Yeats or Dickinson will come up. Certainly. No doubt. 100%. If not. Well. Well. I'm gonna have a Walter white laughing under the floor boards moment... :/

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭LoveLamps

What do I need to know layout wise for p1?

Letter -
    .........................................................name,
    .........................................................address
    ..........................................................date
    receiver
    address

dear..
    yours sincerely/faithfully

Anything else? Is a diary just 'dear diary, ..... ' ??

And speech anything in particular? Just address your audience at the start?

That it?

LoveLamps wrote: »
    What do I need to know layout wise for p1?

Letter -
    .........................................................name,
    .........................................................address
    ..........................................................date
    receiver
    address

dear..
    yours sincerely/faithfully

Anything else? Is a diary just 'dear diary, ..... ' ??

And speech anything in particular? Just address your audience at the start?

That it?

Do you actually have to write dear diary...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Do you actually have to write dear diary...?

Whenever I hear that I think of an annoying 8 year old girl

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement