Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

banned from horse racing

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Although this is headed "Admin required" the appeal should still initially be reviewed by a CMod. As I was the banning (C)Mod I will leave it to one of my Co CMods to undertake the initial review. I can confirm I have already been in PM discussion with naughto and have upheld the ban

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

as the ban in the 1st place was from a Cmod and not a mod from the thread in question I would the Admin to review it and not another Cmod thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Hi,

As one of the other Sports CMods, I will deal with this first, as Beasty issued the original ban.

Thanks.

Hi naughto,

First and foremost I'll deal with the ban.

You were asked by Beasty not to question moderating decisions on thread, it is a standard practice throughout Boards.ie and a rule that is enforced rather well by moderators.

Heres the link to it in the Boards guidelines and the piece specifically quoted : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/faq.php?faq=bie_faq_im_new_here#faq_bie_faq_im_new_here_appeals
    It is against the rules to argue with a moderator action in such a way that it drags a discussion off-topic from its original goal (short: never argue with a mod in-thread - it almost always leads to a ban). Always attempt to message the moderator via the Private Messaging system before making a scene out of something.

you have still not received a reply, or wish to escalate the issue, contact the Category Moderator via PM, or use the Help Desk forum, under the Sys/System category. Feedback is not for Queries or Complaints about an altercation, despite a common misconception still held by some of the older users.

This isnt your first tie discussing Mod actions, or the perceived lack of, in the forum either, as you're well aware : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89465864&postcount=2064

This isnt in place to kill free speech, nor is it intended to keep posters quiet, its intended not to drag discussions off topic, regardless of the fact that you were posting in an off topic thread.

If a moderator asks you not to post, its simple really, if you have an issue PM the Mod or CMod and talk it through in private and leave it off the main forum and avoid sucking countless others into a pointless debate.

Beasty has specifically posted in the Horse Racing Forum, back in December 2013 : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87977386&postcount=1 regarding users commenting on mod matters and this all harks back to questioning mods in thread recently, its something that we dont want to see.

As such, Beastys original 2 week forum ban stands.

You may wish, at this time, to request an Admin to review this decision.

am i allowed to ask questions here?
    i dont understand this bit

This isnt in place to kill free speech, nor is it intended to keep posters quiet, its intended not to drag discussions off topic, regardless of the fact that you were posting in an off topic thread.
    so an off topic thread is not off topic is that what you are saying
    what is an off topic thread then?

• Advertisement

naughto wrote: »
    am i allowed to ask questions here?
    i dont understand this bit

so an off topic thread is not off topic is that what you are saying
    what is an off topic thread then?

You can ask questions here no problem, I have made my decision though the ban stands so you can request an Admin to review mine and the original decision.

What I'm saying is, you were discussing moderation, which will inevitably drag a topic off its current heading and also, nowhere on Boards.ie is a person allowed to question moderating.

The fact that the rules say
    It is against the rules to argue with a moderator action in such a way that it drags a discussion off-topic from its original goal
    doesnt give you protection to post what you like in an in house, off topic thread, Boards doesnt work that way.

The long and short of it is, dont question Moderators decision, its in black and white, if you intend to question or query something, please do so via PM.

A Moderator or CMod will get back to you in good time about the in thread warning, please dont take it upon yourself to openly question their decision in thread.

i understand that you have made your decision and i accept that.
    i have some questions if thats ok

i requested that a thread be set up on the form
    so that mods,and posters could discuss why the form had gone
    to sh1te and it has with all the bans,cards beign given out.

this did not happen.

is it not better to discuss it openly rather than have the mods post something
    like do not question my authority
    with a mod posting this it only adds fule to the fire which is what happened
    on the thread.
    also if mod delete posts then a reason should be giving as to why it was deleted.
    what i dont under stand is that a mod demands repect yet gives none in return.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

In most forums, meta-discussion of the state of the forum is considered "off-topic" and disallowed. For those forums, you could either a) PM a mod asking for a meta-discussion thread, or b) start a thread on the Feedback forum. (Some forums do allow these types of threads.)

In either case, you should not attack people personally, and you should attempt to stick to constructive criticism. Saying that the forum has "gone to sh!te" wouldn't count as constructive. I would also - respectfully - suggest that you might also find more traction for your viewpoint if you employ a spell-check before posting - many modern web browsers have spell-check built in or available as plugins.

Moderators should treat all boards users with respect, including non-mods. If they do not, bring it up with a Cmod including specific quotes and links. It will be actioned.

The mod instructions on the forum in question clearly states:
    Beasty wrote: »
    This forum has encountered a number of problems recently.

2. Posters speculating about 1. above and commenting on modding matters in-thread

[...]
    With regards to 2., it is a site-wide rule that posters must not comment about modding matters in-thread (except in the Help Desk or possibly Feedback forums). If you choose to ignore this rule you can expect a card and/or ban.

The original ban is justified and upheld based on the above. Resolved.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement