Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KWA MP9 firing hot!

Options
  • 15-05-2014 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭

Hey guys
    Purchased an MP9 today in a local shop that happened to have an airsoft clearout, and I was curious when I saw the KWA MP9. One impulse purchase later and I had the gbb I've always wanted :o
    AAnyway, once I got back, I noticed the bbs were flying out, nearly impossible to identify to the naked eye. I quickly chrono'd it, and it was shooting an amazing 385fps....... Wut :eek:
    This was with Green gas and SA/KA .2g bbs

I have a few questions with regard to downgrading it.
    1: Buy a low power bolt (50 quid, unwilling to cash that out on a BRAND NEW rif)
    2: Return it (Got a great deal, I really would prefer to keep it too, plus it was the last one there- no swaps :()

Any advice is much appreciated.
    How do the Irish retailers normally get them down to below 1J?
    I dont want to botch it up with some crude drill job, but if needs be...
    Thanks

[On a side note, does anyone know why all the Airsoft Reviews, Technical, etc are changed? Perhaps I should pm the mods :pac: The simple categories have gone down the drain.]

EDIT: Will be returning tomorrow if I must, so I need some replies quickly enough

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

Dude sale or not on sale it is firing hot. The shop you bought it from can not sell you a RIF firing above our limit, period. If they can not downgrade it, by the proper means, they should at least replace it for one that is firing at our limit, failing all that refund.

I know you wana hold on to it but on the off chance you get caught with....well you can see where I am going with this :).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Eoghan S

Dude sale or not on sale it is firing hot. The shop you bought it from can not sell you a RIF firing above our limit, period. If they can not downgrade it, by the proper means, they should at least replace it for one that is firing at our limit, failing all that refund.

I know you wana hold on to it but on the off chance you get caught with....well you can see where I am going with this :).

I completely agree, I was being childish and indecisive :p
    But I like it godamnit, I was shocked to say the least when I found out. I mean I noticed a chrono there also, and they ONLY sell Green Gas, so they were hardly using some duster gas or something to chrono with...
    Anyway, thanks for the advice, I'll call in tomorrow and see what's what, I actually took money out of my custom build fund to buy it, it's an impulse purchase at its best lol
    Thanks Southern Dandy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

No bother at all, believe me I know that feeling all too well but the cons sadly outweigh the pros. See how you get on tomorrow sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭DeBurca

Its an easy fix, if you fit a less strong spring or cut the existing hammer spring then the hammer will strike the gas release valve with less force and therefore will not open it fully
    As the valve is opened less so less gas is released and so there is less pressure to propel the BB down the barrel so it will exit the barrel slower

Cutting the existing spring is very much a trial and error way of doing this and if you decide to do this then snip the spring in very small amounts, something like 1/4-1/3 of a coil at a time
    Remember that this is a one way job and once you remove coils you have no way of putting them back so that is why I say very small bit at a time

I should add that the above only applies if the hammer spring is a coil spring and not a butterfly style spring found on some pistols like glocks etc

DeBurca wrote: »
    Its an easy fix, if you fit a less strong spring or cut the existing hammer spring then the hammer will strike the gas release valve with less force and therefore will not open it fully
    As the valve is opened less so less gas is released and so there is less pressure to propel the BB down the barrel so it will exit the barrel slower

Cutting the existing spring is very much a trial and error way of doing this and if you decide to do this then snip the spring in very small amounts, something like 1/4-1/3 of a coil at a time
    Remember that this is a one way job and once you remove coils you have no way of putting them back so that is why I say very small bit at a time

I should add that the above only applies if the hammer spring is a coil spring and not a butterfly style spring found on some pistols like glocks etc

Thanks for the help, this is the sort of thing that's confusing the situation :p
    I think I'll try out cutting some of the spring in that case. Will the sharper edges to the spring affect the RIF in any way?
    I'm guessing http://store.kwausa.com/partskmp9ns2seriesrecoilspring.aspx] this is a coil spring?
    O a side note, they don't offer a warranty or anything like that, so cutting the spring a little bit shouldnt affect me getting a refund.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Dogwatch

Off topic but you did ask about the forums being different.........http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057210596

Eoghan S wrote: »
    Thanks for the help, this is the sort of thing that's confusing the situation :p
    I think I'll try out cutting some of the spring in that case. Will the sharper edges to the spring affect the RIF in any way?
    I'm guessing http://store.kwausa.com/partskmp9ns2seriesrecoilspring.aspx] this is a coil spring?
    O a side note, they don't offer a warranty or anything like that, so cutting the spring a little bit shouldnt affect me getting a refund.
    Thanks

As with cutting any coil spring the cut edge needs to be deburred a file or some emery works best
    The edge of the spring needs to be carefully folded in the form a smooth edge

As I said when cutting the spring a LITTLE at a time, I had a CO2 M9 pistol shooting 405fps and after cutting just one full coil the fps droped to approx 315, so be careful and good luck

Dogwatch wrote: »
    Off topic but you did ask about the forums being different.........http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057210596

Thanks, I was wondering what was going on, for a while I thought airsoft rifles and gear were being sold separately :p

As with cutting any coil spring the cut edge needs to be deburred a file or some emery works best
    The edge of the spring needs to be carefully folded in the form a smooth edge

As I said when cutting the spring a LITTLE at a time, I had a CO2 M9 pistol shooting 405fps and after cutting just one full coil the fps droped to approx 315, so be careful and good luck

So I just file the end of the spring when it's been cut, and then turn it in on itself?
    I'll be sure to take it easy, now I just have to go and get a proper wire cutter!
    I presume this is a coiled spring? I'm unfamiliar with the different types, but it has coils so... (My earlier link didn't work)
    http://store.kwausa.com/partskmp9ns2seriesrecoilspring.aspx
    Or which part is it?cr_s02_kmp9_zpsc6699aff.jpg

The spring you linked to is the recoil spring This is the hammer spring and as such is not suitable for cutting
    So scratch all I have said before

There are a few other ways but I am hesitant to recommend them as they are all sh1t or bust
    If you want a few alternatives drop me a PM

• Advertisement

The spring you linked to is the recoil spring This is the hammer spring and as such is not suitable for cutting
    So scratch all I have said before

There are a few other ways but I am hesitant to recommend them as they are all sh1t or bust
    If you want a few alternatives drop me a PM

Damnit, I knew I got it too easy when I saw the coiled spring :pac:
    I may as well try them, if they sound too dodgy I'll just pop in tomorrow and return it.
    Its a pity, but not the end of the world.
    I'll pm you now
    Thanks

I managed to bring the MP9 back today, I got a full refund and the fellow there was very surprised and apologetic.
    Thanks for all the help lads

Advertisement