Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The City Center is filthy

Options
  • 15-05-2014 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else think DCC have let the city center become filthy over the last few months. Rubbish on just about every street and the footpaths are being replaced by fag buts literally.

Before there was a constant presence form DCC staff and those cleaning machines, today you are lucky to see one maybe at night never mind about during the day.

It could be just me as I was working on Paddy's Day and was in the CC at night and it was disregardful (even for a the crowds and celebrations) and ever since then my view has completely changed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Litter on the streets on St Patricks day? Shocker.

Dublins never been a tidy city and thats the fault of the people who throw litter about the place, not the council.

But I cant say its any worse now than normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Yeah, you can't exactly use Paddy's Day as an example.

You think New York is clean during the Thanksgiving parade?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

It is filthy. I think living in the city, one tends to stop noticing it after a while... but it is really bad.

Had a friend visiting there two weeks ago and she was very unimpressed. She thought the city was very dirty and felt unsafe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

It is filthy. I think living in the city, one tends to stop noticing it after a while... but it is really bad.

Had a friend visiting there two weeks ago and she was very unimpressed. She thought the city was very dirty and felt unsafe.

Does she have a phobia of litter?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Yep, there is a tension around Dublin at night that you dont get in other cities in Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

I like Dublin, fantastic city.

Filthy, though. Absolutely filthy. And it can feel unsafe - it's incredibly run down if you go look down any side street (other than the Grafton Street area). Dark, narrow, dirty and run down streets... And junkies roaming free. Pretty much none of the above will hurt you (most of the time) but just think of how it looks to a visitor. Safe? Nope. A lot of Dublin City Centre has what people would instinctively classify as hallmarks of bad areas. Closed shops, dirty streets, buildings in poor repair, litter everywhere, broken pavements and roads, de at-a-leets.

Seriously, Dublin's great but let's be honest. It's filthy, mostly safe but certainly doesn't LOOK mostly safe...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

I visited spain at one point when the council workers were on strike. Place made patricks day dublin look like evening tea and a game of polo. Apparently they tried to cut their wage by 20-25% and increase their hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Litter on the streets on St Patricks day? Shocker.

Dublins never been a tidy city and thats the fault of the people who throw litter about the place, not the council.

But I cant say its any worse now than normal.

Completely agree about Paddys day however lack of bins provided was a joke

As somebody who lives and in the center, there has defiantly being a reduction in those street cleaners going around. Templebar, Daime st, Geroges st, Westmoreland st are the worst areas IMO.

I like the city but DCC have let it go down hill big time since start of the year.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Completely agree about Paddys day however lack of bins provided was a joke

As somebody who lives and in the center, there has defiantly being a reduction in those street cleaners going around. Templebar, Daime st, Geroges st, Westmoreland st are the worst areas IMO.

I like the city but DCC have let it go down hill big time since start of the year.

DCC have totally dropped the ball lately. Anyone watch the Giro? You could see where Fingal Co Co turned into DCC. Fingal redid the roads properly - they were smooth and properly surfaced, the state of them in Clontarf was a disgrace. Still badly cracked, still loads of pot-holes and temporary patch jobs done in a few of locations. Looked awful. What a way to show the country off to all the people around the world who were watching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

The dog**** everywhere within walking distance of council flats/estates is disgusting as well. Pavements are literally covered in it in parts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

DCC have totally dropped the ball lately. Anyone watch the Giro? You could see where Fingal Co Co turned into DCC. Fingal redid the roads properly - they were smooth and properly surfaced, the state of them in Clontarf was a disgrace. Still badly cracked, still loads of pot-holes and temporary patch jobs done in a few of locations. Looked awful. What a way to show the country off to all the people around the world who were watching.

I thought everywhere looked really well on camera for the Giro. James Larkin road and the Clontarf seafront wasn't too bad..actually, they did a sterling job doing up the Howth road running parallel, I was surprised it wasn't routed down there.

I live in the city centre - without doubt the cause of the problem is people throwing fast food wrappers, cigarette butts, cans of beer, sweet wrappers, you name it. Civic pride is the issue. Don't get me started on dog poop. Its depressing to think it costs significant amounts of money to run campaigns to remind people how to be decent citizens. How hard is it not to throw away a smoke butt, pocket a wrapper..or clean up after your dog ?

Bins aren't that common in certain parts on the city centre, but only because some folk like to kick out their contents on the way home from a drunken night out, so whats the point, you cant fault the DCC for peoples antisocial habits.

ror_74 wrote: »
    I thought everywhere looked really well on camera for the Giro. James Larkin road and the Clontarf seafront wasn't too bad..actually, they did a sterling job doing up the Howth road running parallel, I was surprised it wasn't routed down there.

Are you serious? It's a shocking patchwork job all along the Clontarf road as far as the Alfie Byrne road. The seafront itself looked really well on camera, apart from where DCC have allowed the baths to go to rot. Not that it would have looked so well if they'd had their way with the 3m dyke they wanted to put into prevent a few cm of seawater overtopping the wall!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Dont blame DCC...blame the people who dump thier litter on the streets...fag butts included.

Just wait til the "summer" when you see the state some of the dublin beaches are left in by day trippers...empty cans,WKd blue bottles,portable BBQs and nappies casually strewn around for some other fool to pick up.

The council provide and empty bins etc,if people can't be bothered actually using them it's nobody else's fault the place looks like a kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Not only the City Centre is filthy, there is black litter spots everywhere. And what I always notice, loads of kids seem to be unaware what effect littering can have. I live in a so-called 'mature housing estate' off Collins Avenue, some kids hanging around in front of houses, dropping their crips bags, soft drink cans, etc. all over the place...bar the house they live in :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Anyone else think DCC have let the city center become filthy over the last few months. Rubbish on just about every street and the footpaths are being replaced by fag buts literally.
    No. I think Dublin cc is filthy because filthy people leave filth. There's only so much dcc can do if scummy fcuckers drop litter, fag butts, and rubbish.

Dublin is dirty because Dubliners, unfortunately, are dirty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

My area used to be spotless when DCC were responsible for the bins, but since Greyhound took over its been horrible. It's not from people throwing stuff around (though there is that to a degree) but a lot from animals tearing open bin bags and such. DCC still come by periodically and clean up the streets, but if Greyhound have the contract they should be doing it and letting DCC concentrate on other areas.

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Not only the City Centre is filthy, there is black litter spots everywhere. And what I always notice, loads of kids seem to be unaware what effect littering can have. I live in a so-called 'mature housing estate' off Collins Avenue, some kids hanging around in front of houses, dropping their crips bags, soft drink cans, etc. all over the place...bar the house they live in :mad:

Their parents would clip them around their ears if they left rubbish outside their own house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I once asked an air hostess who was the direst nationality on planes and she it was Irish. They never clean up after themselves. When they asked do they have any rubbish, they throw their rubbish under the seat. It doesnt make a difference if DCC clean the streets constantly if people dont use bins(which DCC have removed as people are using them instead of black bins)

hfallada wrote: »
    I once asked an air hostess who was the direst nationality on planes and she it was Irish. They never clean up after themselves. When they asked do they have any rubbish, they throw their rubbish under the seat. It doesnt make a difference if DCC clean the streets constantly if people dont use bins(which DCC have removed as people are using them instead of black bins)

Nonsense plenty of dirtier nationalities.

Haha, the Irish aren't the worst on airplanes. Far worse goes on than leaving wrappers in the seat back pocket. Airhostess clearly only works in Europe. Lol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

One of the cleaner major cities I've been in actually!.

Who to blame for most of the unsightly stuff, well junkies/drunkards & dealers seemingly allowed to roam free.

And when FF/Greens turned the private sector against public sector there was a mass outcry for a cut in public spending, including embargo's on employing new staff, new equipement etc.

There's simply not enough street cleaners employed for the task, this is just one of the services cut and thats exactly what the private sector wanted.

Other than that Irish people just aren't civic minded enough & don't give a toss about littering the place, breaking things and generally being louts at the drop of a hat.

That said, Dublin really is one of the cleaner capital cities I've been to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Some people are just animals.

I get the 40 bus to and from work.

its pretty clean each morning with the occasional metro left on a seat and thats about it.

but when i catch it home from town after it's been on the southside leg of the journey it looks like people have actually emptied rubbish bins onto the floor.

You get cigarette buts,cheerios,bits of ripped-up paper,clothes reciepts,crisp bags(and mashed up crisps),part-eaten sandwiches,soft drink bottles,beer cans and the occasional empty physeptone bottle.

I mean at the very least can these dirty ****ers not bring the stuff home with them? And these are adults,not just messy kids.

Now it *is* the bus driver/cleaners actual job to tidy this mess up but should they really have to?

Are you serious? It's a shocking patchwork job all along the Clontarf road as far as the Alfie Byrne road. The seafront itself looked really well on camera, apart from where DCC have allowed the baths to go to rot. Not that it would have looked so well if they'd had their way with the 3m dyke they wanted to put into prevent a few cm of seawater overtopping the wall!

I rode down it yesterday, its been in worse nick. It didn't look bad on the camera.

DCC are absolutely right to suggest flood defences. Residents will come round sooner or later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

chopper6 wrote: »
    Some people are just animals.

I get the 40 bus to and from work.

its pretty clean each morning with the occasional metro left on a seat and thats about it.

but when i catch it home from town after it's been on the southside leg of the journey it looks like people have actually emptied rubbish bins onto the floor.

You get cigarette buts,cheerios,bits of ripped-up paper,clothes reciepts,crisp bags(and mashed up crisps),part-eaten sandwiches,soft drink bottles,beer cans and the occasional empty physeptone bottle.

I mean at the very least can these dirty ****ers not bring the stuff home with them? And these are adults,not just messy kids.

Now it *is* the bus driver/cleaners actual job to tidy this mess up but should they really have to?

Welfare Pass Scruff Meisters get on around Clondalkin area. Dirt birds must empty half their rubbish down the stairs.

ror_74 wrote: »
    I rode down it yesterday, its been in worse nick. It didn't look bad on the camera.

DCC are absolutely right to suggest flood defences. Residents will come round sooner or later.

Their idea of flood defences is like trying to crack the top off your boiled egg with a sledge hammer and cold chisel :) It's off the flipping wall.

I personally think the road looked dire on camera - it just looked like a patchwork of different bits i.e. exactly what it is. But aside from how it looks, it's badly surfaced. I've driven down it as well, it's awful. Comparing it to how it was before is pointless because it's still not at an acceptable standard. Even if you do, it's not much different at all. The very worst of the craters are gone but that's it. Bets on that it'll fall apart after a few hard freezes. Compare it to driving on the road between Portmarnock and Baldoyle. Are you seriously saying that it's at a comparable standard? Because it's not. It was a lousy patchwork job that got them to a point where they could say that it probably wouldn't cause an incident during the giro. That's it. Nothing better.

Their idea of flood defences is like trying to crack the top off your boiled egg with a sledge hammer and cold chisel :) It's off the flipping wall.

I personally think the road looked dire on camera - it just looked like a patchwork of different bits i.e. exactly what it is. But aside from how it looks, it's badly surfaced. I've driven down it as well, it's awful. Comparing it to how it was before is pointless because it's still not at an acceptable standard. Even if you do, it's not much different at all. The very worst of the craters are gone but that's it. Bets on that it'll fall apart after a few hard freezes. Compare it to driving on the road between Portmarnock and Baldoyle. Are you seriously saying that it's at a comparable standard? Because it's not. It was a lousy patchwork job that got them to a point where they could say that it probably wouldn't cause an incident during the giro. That's it. Nothing better.

Anyone along the seafront there will be screwed over the next 30 or 40 years. No point in having a view when the water is lapping up around your couch. :pac:. Its not just DCC that are trying to tackle flooding and rising sea levels.

No, I'm saying I cycled down it and it is a lot better than it has been. Anyway, theres little point in complaining about badly surfaced roads in Ireland, they are everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

One of the cleaner major cities I've been in actually!.

Who to blame for most of the unsightly stuff, well junkies/drunkards & dealers seemingly allowed to roam free.

And when FF/Greens turned the private sector against public sector there was a mass outcry for a cut in public spending, including embargo's on employing new staff, new equipement etc.

There's simply not enough street cleaners employed for the task, this is just one of the services cut and thats exactly what the private sector wanted.

Other than that Irish people just aren't civic minded enough & don't give a toss about littering the place, breaking things and generally being louts at the drop of a hat.

That said, Dublin really is one of the cleaner capital cities I've been to.

Don't get me wrong, its clean for a major city but it was much cleaner 12 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Boldberry

A lot of people won't pay to have their rubbish collected so it's just dumped and in fairness to the DCC, it is picked up fairly quickly. Some people are just dirty though, there's a bin for cigarettes outside my flat, but there's one woman who smokes about 40 a day who just throws them on the ground. I tried to have it out with her, but she had no English so just kept smoking and nodding at me.

I don't know get why people keep saying 'junkies roaming free', are they kept in pens in other cities?

Boldberry wrote: »
    A lot of people won't pay to have their rubbish collected so it's just dumped and in fairness to the DCC, it is picked up fairly quickly. Some people are just dirty though, there's a bin for cigarettes outside my flat, but there's one woman who smokes about 40 a day who just throws them on the ground. I tried to have it out with her, but she had no English so just kept smoking and nodding at me.

I don't know get why people keep saying 'junkies roaming free', are they kept in pens in other cities?

Eh, people openly dealing heroin as blatantly as in Dublin usually are, yeah. It's called jail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Boldberry

Eh, for the most part they aren't actually dealing heroin.

Advertisement