Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The City Center is filthy

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

So? They've bought it, they've possessed it. Where they getting the money for it? There's not one of them who hasn't been committing crimes on our streets yet they're allowed roam free. In a civilized country they'd be jailed for their offences and put on some form of detox and therapy programme to allow them to get clean. But here, nah. Just roam the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I never noticed how much litter was on the footpath in town until I got a dog (dogs will eat anything when they're young). The most common items are cigarette butts, without a doubt. I die a little inside when I see somebody just drop a cigarette on the ground. Even more so if they don't stamp it out. The next most common is tissue paper, believe it or not. Don't ask me where it comes from; I never even noticed tissue on the ground before having the dog, now I notice it everywhere. Funnily enough I don't notice a lot of dog poop, but that might just be down to the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Mod note: one thread on Dublin's drug addiction problem is enough

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I like Dublin but I've always thought of the inner city as an embarrassment when it comes to tourism. I think a lot of the blame needs to lie with DCC, unless they can prove they've suffered massive budget cuts. Here in Vienna the last 2 weekends there were parades/marches being held for the legalisation of cannabis, now I'm not against the idea of the parades, people can do whatever they want in their own time imo, but they were incredibly dirty (and loud) and making a mess of one of the most popular streets in the city. In response the city council organised a team of cleaners to tail them and pick up the trash and wash the street, there was honestly no trace of the march 20 minutes after it had passed. I was highly impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

But you don't see horrible graffiti as much anymore. Although there still is some. It's more street art than anything else. Which is often nicer than a blank white wall.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

hfallada wrote: »
    But you don't see horrible graffiti as much anymore. Although there still is some. It's more street art than anything else. Which is often nicer than a blank white wall.

The quality of graffiti has improved a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I work near a Subway. I saw four young fellas (about 10-12) buying subs and casually dropping all the wrapping (which is LOADS for four wraps: the inner and outer bags) into the ground and walking away without a care.

The really annoying thing is that there is a bin literally 3 feet away from them! Some people just don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

The level of casual littering is astounding. Today I saw a man in his 20s walk out of a shop with a big receipt in hand, scrunch it up and just drop it on the footpath. It shocks me. In school we'd get told about the environment and littering and how you're an awful human being and dirty and sinful if you don't put your litter in your bin. Same at home, my mother would be mortified if I dared litter. But there seems to be a relatively large group of people who have no problem dropping their waste on the ground. It's disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

The dog**** everywhere within walking distance of council flats/estates is disgusting as well. Pavements are literally covered in it in parts.

does this stuff get there by its self:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Aard wrote: »
    The level of casual littering is astounding. Today I saw a man in his 20s walk out of a shop with a big receipt in hand, scrunch it up and just drop it on the footpath. It shocks me. In school we'd get told about the environment and littering and how you're an awful human being and dirty and sinful if you don't put your litter in your bin. Same at home, my mother would be mortified if I dared litter. But there seems to be a relatively large group of people who have no problem dropping their waste on the ground. It's disgusting.

Litterers beget other litterers.

If kids are never even told not to litter they're not going to see any problem with it whatsoever..likewise they'l become adults with the same problem.

I saw a kid chucking a coke can on the street one day,an old woman on a bicycle shouted at him to pick it up and the kid's mother started shouting at the woman to mind her own business.

They continued on thier way leaving the can where it was.

I rememebr seeing litter wardens in Dublin many years ago...they could be right spitefull bastards and would follow somebody eating an apple and fine them when they chucked the butt on the ground.

Havnt seen one in years but like bus inspectors they certainly had a deterant effect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

Dublin is dirty, I never really noticed it until I came back from working in Oz for a while. Overall we are definitely much dirtier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

Aard wrote: »

+1. Plus all the people who throw cigarette butts on the ground, out of car windows at traffic lights and in the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Definitely some blackspots (in the North Inner City particularly) but "Clean to European Norms" according to the latest survey I can find.

http://www.ibal.ie/v1/default.php?content=latestresults.php

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

They were out this morning on O Connell Street with their little sprayer van putting down cleaning solution, I assume the little polisher was going to follow shortly

First time I have seen them doing that in ages but there has been a lot of construction roadwork along O Connell street recently so maybe it would have been a waste of resources to try and keep it clean

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

They were out this morning on O Connell Street with their little sprayer van putting down cleaning solution, I assume the little polisher was going to follow shortly

First time I have seen them doing that in ages but there has been a lot of construction roadwork along O Connell street recently so maybe it would have been a waste of resources to try and keep it clean

Blame the Indo,RTE and to some extent discussion forums like boards.

Baying and howling for public sector cuts.

They got them now the council has no money.

Advertisement