Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On a probation contract but dont like job

Options
  • 16-05-2014 2:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hello, I would just like to ask for some advice as I have just started employment in a large hotel chain on 6 months probationary period I have been working for about a month and half now but I do not like it for various reasons and I am physically strained from the work. I dont feel comfortable working there, I will be afraid to go work and im getting upset from it.

My questions are,
    would I be able to leave although on a contract?
    is it very bad to leave working on such short time?
    would they still give me a reference?
    would I be cutting off the chances of gaining employment in the future within that hotel organisation altogether?

Any other advice or comments is appreciated, thanks for reading.

Comments

-you could leave anytime you want
    -they have to give you a reference and cant give you a bad one.(although if a ref just says you worked here from X to X and nothing else,that doesn't look great either)
    -id imagine it would hurt your chances! although why would you want to go back if your that eager to leave now,

IMO i think you should stay there and see it through and look for work elsewhere at the same time,much easier to get a job while you have a job.

hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Is the work very physical, or are you tired because it's all new to you? I was exhausted for the first while when I started in my present company because there was so much new stuff to take in. It passes.
    aaronc182 wrote:
    they have to give you a reference and cant give you a bad one

You can be given a bad reference if they can back it up. It's a myth that you can't be given a bad one.

That said, I wouldn't bother asking for a reference; I'd just leave it off the CV altogether Another employer is unlikely to think that a month and a half experience there means that much.
    would I be cutting off the chances of gaining employment in the future within that hotel organisation altogether?

Yes, I would think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 BlueSkyes

aaronc182 wrote: »
    -id imagine it would hurt your chances! although why would you want to go back if your that eager to leave now,

IMO i think you should stay there and see it through and look for work elsewhere at the same time,much easier to get a job while you have a job.

hope that helps!

I was just worried about that because i dont want to make bad relations and what happens if i do want to apply for a job in different hotel but under that chain? it is a branded hotel and they do have training available although i dont like the department im working in at the moment.

and yes it really helps, thank you!
    Eoin wrote: »
    Is the work very physical, or are you tired because it's all new to you? I was exhausted for the first while when I started in my present company because there was so much new stuff to take in. It passes.

Yes, its very physical for me at least. I would be scheduled in to work for 8 hour shift but i can probably expect to be working for about 10-13 hours straight sometimes with barely any breaks. Theres alot lifting and carrying involved too but it could be that im not used to it so im going home feeling sore.

and thank you too for your help!

I started a night shift job couple years back,first few weeks I was totalled every day after work but you get used to it,
    see it through for another few weeks see how you feel then,if you feel the same throw some CVs out.

would internal transfer an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 BlueSkyes

Yea after hearing that i feel i should stay. how do i go about doing a transfer? would i still be seen as unreliable for not staying with the contract ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Just talk to your manager about it, tell them you're finding the physical side of it very tough and ask if there are any other options.

Advertisement