Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best bit of cycling advice you've received from others

• 16-05-2014 5:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭

As the title suggests, what's the best advice you have got and you think is worth sharing? I have a few I'd like to share.

Was at the Eddie Tobin race in Bunclody in 2011 and was debating whether to just carry one bottle or two. 'Twas roasting the same day and RAAM very wisely said to me "it's better to be looking at it than looking for it". Very quickly used up two bottles that day.

Was out on the old Boot Inn circuit with The Finglas Ravens one night in 2011 as well, that was my first year racing. Was going around the bend right at the end of the runway and heading left towards the pub. I instinctively pulled the brakes and slowed down and then was playing catchup on the other four lads. Morana gave me great advice on how to corner. No need to break, just lean into the corner with your outside foot for pushing down on the pedal in the 6 o'clock position and turn the handlebars the opposite way to which your turning (slightly of course). Gravity does the rest.

Finally, I learned from books, articles and podcasts that having a good core is really important to being strong at climbing and sprinting and stabilisation in general on the bike so I'd advise anyone who neglects this to work on cycling specific functional core exercises. Also helps to have a good posture which is really important for cyclists.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,764 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Given the time of your OP, I would suggest get more sleep:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Given the time of your OP, I would suggest get more sleep:D

Given that his location is Minzu University, I'd imagine that his sleeping hours might occur at different times to yours or mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,764 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Didn't see that.....still getting more sleep is always good advice!

And breathe, always remember to keep breathing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

The best bit of advice I got was from a very seasoned member of a former club when we were out on a cold miserable day in the hills. I said that we could be at home, having a lie in followed by a late breakfast. His response was:

"I've had a few lie ins in my time. I've often regretted not getting out for a spin. Never have I regretted getting out on my bike."

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭del_boy13

Commuter Advice
    Assume all pedestrians are deaf and blind.

Cycling Advice
    Keep it in the lower ring.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

A big lad from Yorkshire once told me 'If you are gonna crash make sure you hit your head so hard that you don't rembember anything about it' .
    I have failed to take his advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

2006 doing Wicklow 200 for first time, about 6 weeks after buying my bike.

My brother and I were struggling along, not looking forward to last 40km when a couple of cyclist passed us. The middle guy turned around and said "Did someone tell ye it was going to be easy?" Have never expected or looked for easy since.

The cyclist was Sean Kelly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Do not leave a gap
    Look past the rider in front of you
    Go for a late apex when cornering
    Train hard, very hard
    Rest easy, very easy
    Check shoulder before attacking or overtaking
    If it stops being fun, rest
    Keep pedaling when descending

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

When descending in summertime, keep your mouth shut.

Unless you need the protein...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

Ride more, eat less Christian Vandervelde

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭ryan101

Pedal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

Get a bike fit!

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Undercover Elephant

ryan101 wrote: »
    Pedal
    Coincidentally, that's the advice I most commonly get from my 3 year old.

Coincidentally, that's the advice I most commonly get from my 3 year old.

You should listen to that bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭cheerspal

How much should a bike fit cost and where could I get one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I got links to an article on descending like a pro from (I think) Doozerie and someone linked to an old comment from LennyMC about his application of his motorcycle racing experience to bicycle racing, literally the day before I needed that knowledge on a gravelly descent.

Probably best to google the article for the first bit, but the vital bit of Lenny's was that even if the wheels are sliding the bike will still go more or less where you point it.

Also of great help psychologically was one of the member profiles on the Orwell Wheelers website where a guy talked about a sudden irrational terror of descending having struck him one day and how he'd never think ill of anyone else for encountering the same reaction, that was good to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 SMacX

Hey,

I am a big lad and the hills are not my friend as I climb :(

3 things I were told by t'lads in club when I were youngster:

A. Remember to relax when climbing, breathe easy, keep yourself loose and stay seated.
    2. If you have to get out of the saddle, drop one gear to make it harder to pedal and "Do a little dance!" :) (Remember to put it back into a lower gear when you sit back down!)
    Finally, You should have found your own rhythm in training, so use it to get to the top. If you have the energy and inclination, go for it :)

Anyways, these youngsters today with their power meters and cadence and heart rate stuff, just get out and enjoy it :)

That last one was my piece of advice :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

If your cadence is not near its max, drop a gear, if it is at its max, go up a gear.

trouser clips

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Get a Garmin and join STRAVA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Take that plastic peak off your helmet, you look like a truffle hunter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Why do people say stay in the saddle when climbing when sometimes it seems you get a second wind by standing for a while then back into the saddle? In my own amateur experience there are hills around Wicklow that I wouldnt make it a 1/3 of the way up if I didnt stand at some points.

Thargor wrote: »
    Why do people say stay in the saddle when climbing when sometimes it seems you get a second wind by standing for a while then back into the saddle? In my own amateur experience there are hills around Wicklow that I wouldnt make it a 1/3 of the way up if I didnt stand at some points.
    You burn up a lot more energy getting out of the saddle. Do it if you need a stretch and change but preferably if you are struggling you should change down a gear or two before it becomes too difficult and spin up the hill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

Shut Up LEGS

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭pats22b

biomed32 wrote: »
    Shut Up LEGS

and HTFU

saw both of these spray painted on the road on the way our of laragh up the wicklow gap last Sunday morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

If your going to wear that poker dot jersey, I want to see you still pedaling when you reach the top of the beacon.

Just before the London to Brighton from a total stranger, not sure if it was advice or a threat though.

:D

biomed32 wrote: »
    Shut Up LEGS

Feck off HEAD!...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭CptMackey

You only have so many matches, be it in a race or out training with your friends.
    Only burn them when you need to.

It doesnt get easier you just get faster

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭rckfld

Lucky enough to work with a lad who has rowed (boats like) at an elite level, Olympics and multiple World Champs. He's a good 20KG heavier than me and climbs like a fly. When beginning I got two good pieces of advice;

Advice: Don't go into your red zone, we ALL have one, use is sparingly, we can hover in and around for a very very long time. This has made all my rides and climbs easier and more enjoyable.

Second bit of advice from my father, until you get really good, only brake in a straight line, if not it's too late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

When on a long climb, don't keep looking up the road.

Obviously keep looking where you are going for safety sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Don't go up the inside of HGVs and buses at junctions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Ride more, slow down, increase your cadence, eat enough and you can ride all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭_DMac_

Clipless pedals. Game changer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

"Don't fall off"

My dad, back in 1977 when I was a kid and he was f'ing me down a lane on my first bike.

Still sound advice.

Since then the best advice I have had (indirectly) has been on this forum via a thread about cleaning and oiling the chain etc. I thought initially the regularity that some in the thread did it was... madness. How wrong was I...

The difference between a clean chain etc and a dirty one is about 1.5/2 gears tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭sbs2010

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0330267663?pc_redir=1399784499&robot_redir=1

The maintenance parts are probably mostly out of date but the sections on cycling are brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

Avoid bonking .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Learn to love a headwind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭fixie fox

daragh_ wrote: »
    Take that plastic peak off your helmet, you look like a truffle hunter.
    'Freds are guys who dress not to look like Freds'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭fixie fox

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Learn to love a headwind!

I must be a slow learner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

keep pedalling on the Descent (scarey sh#t in the begining)

Dont bother with a brake on that track bike

Fear not the spd pedal

Dont be full of shame when you fall at lights due to an inability to release foot from said pedal

Rest rest rest

Enjoy the rain

Use the low ring

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Pace yourself, chef.

The sage advice of Capt. Havoc & LennyMc.

It works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

"Close that fcukin gap!"

actually better advice is

"Don't let that wheel go!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Kerry Gooner

wolfeye wrote: »
    Avoid bonking .

On or off the saddle

italodisco wrote: »
    keep pedalling on the Descent (scarey sh#t in the begining)

Feck no! The Audax mantra:

Never miss an opportunity to eat, sh#t or freewheel...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

If you look out and you're wondering is it too bad to go training. Get into your gear, go out and train and when you get back you'll know if it was too bad or not. - Sean Kelly

• Registered Users Posts: 45 SMacX

If you look out and you're wondering is it too bad to go training. Get into your gear, go out and train and when you get back you'll know if it was too bad or not. - Sean Kelly

I also remember him saying always wear gloves. Because he says, "If you fall and tear your hands, you won't be able to walk for weeks".

I was a young fella taking all these words of wisdom in. I didn't get it until the place erupted. :)

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Feck no! The Audax mantra:

Never miss an opportunity to eat, sh#t or freewheel...

Advice for life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Doc07

I have to say this board and advice from LBS have been great for my feeding my cycling bug.

Compact and small ring

Clipless pedals, can't believe I took so long to change.

Lifting backside of saddle and put knees against bar when you get a terrifying speed wobble descending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,938 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Pedal down the hill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Rua_ri

Never assume the guy in front of you knows what he's doing.

That was great advice given to me on my first ever sportive.

• Advertisement
Advertisement