Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best bit of cycling advice you've received from others

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

ROK ON wrote: »
    Pace yourself, chef.

The sage advice of Capt. Havoc & LennyMc.

It works.

after 15 hours in the saddle :)

oh, and spin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭fixie fox

Pedal like fuc£

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

fat bloke wrote: »
    Pedal down the hill.
    What is this supposed to do for you?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

daragh_ wrote: »
    Take that plastic peak off your helmet, you look like a truffle hunter.

But it keeps the rain off my glasses …….. :o

*runs and hides, stroking peak of helmet*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭ryan101

gadetra wrote: »
    But it keeps the rain off my glasses …….. :o

*runs and hides, stroking peak of helmet*

You mean your ray-bans

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

ryan101 wrote: »
    You mean your ray-bans

Yeah sure….*looks around shiftily*….
    *cough*

...the Ray-Bans yeah… :D……:o

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭detones

Stop half-wheeling me D1ckhead.

photo_zps7c73dc8c.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭ryan101

nasty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Thargor wrote: »
    What is this supposed to do for you?
    Prevents cold, stiffness and relieves lactic acid build-up. We don't really have long descents in this country compared to elsewhere. A 50km descent with no pedaling will leave you very cold and stiff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Friend of a friend who is in A2, on hearing I was about to enter the heady world of A4. 'Keep the rubber side down and go wide'.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭12 sprocket

detones wrote: »
    Stop half-wheeling me D1ckhead.

photo_zps7c73dc8c.jpg
    best bit of advice the cyclist with aero helmet could have got from someone.. look where you are going, the back of stopped cars / vans are very hard and make an awful mess of your face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Learn to love a headwind!

"When training on a windy day, head out into the wind so that the home journey is easier. Head out with the wind at your back and you may battle to get home."

This was advice I received when I first started and it has stood me in good stead on the exposed Curragh plains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

"When training on a windy day, head out into the wind so that the home journey is easier. Head out with the wind at your back and you may battle to get home."
    If you head out into a headwind there's a chance you'll get browned off and cut the ride short. I'd prefer to go out with a headwind and enjoy it safe in the knowledge that I'll have to ride home regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

" get off that internet and ride your bike '"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

I've only been cycling a few months and have only been on the bike 9 times so haven't a notion what I'm at. I was very stiff and sore after a Duathlon last weekend and one of the lads at work told me to go for a cycle on Tuesday evening and stay in the low gears, don't go near the big cog at all. It was the most enjoyable and relaxing cycle I've had so far and I wasn't really much slower than if I had been pushing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Everyone on the roads apart from you is a moron and will try and kill you
    CramCycle wrote: »
    You burn up a lot more energy getting out of the saddle.
    that's a good thing though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭coolbeans

When riding in traffic don't be meek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

'You've 3 points of contact with the bike, your hands, arse and feet. Spend money on these areas first, shorts/saddle, shoes/pedals etc, then worry about the rest.'
    Wise advice given to a young Statler when he turned up for a training spin with a new pair of Rudy Projects many years ago. (Very nice Rudy Projects I might add, but the man had a very good point...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Everyone on the roads apart from you is a moron and will try and kill you

The natural corollary to this is not to overestimate your own abilities. Not to be confused with not pushing yourself.

From my advanced driving instructor: as soon as you think you are a good driver you are wrong, you should never stop learning.

The same can be applied to cycling, work, and life in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

"no matter how steep the hill, no matter how slow or long it takes, never ever stop, and never ever contemplate walking " Me, to me myself, all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

Sing stupid songs in your head when the pain sets in

Avoid the hard shoulder unless its completely necessary

Pedal on descents especially in crosswinds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

do 2 sprints every training session

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭pprendeville

funkyjebus wrote: »
    When on a long climb, don't keep looking up the road.

Obviously keep looking where you are going for safety sake.

So true especially when on a bad day.

sbs2010 wrote: »
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0330267663?pc_redir=1399784499&robot_redir=1

The maintenance parts are probably mostly out of date but the sections on cycling are brilliant.

This section sounds interesting: How to 'deal' with a dog that's attacking you. He must have cycled in the wild in Africa or something.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I decided to cycle along the canal following a coming together with a transit last year, deeming it safer. My mother's advice was to not do it, or be very very careful as the canal is filthy and dangerous.

It was rather prophetic as I somehow managed to skid on a small patch last week and go in to it. Back to the roads for my commute when I've recovered.

Other than that, most of the advice I've received here as been pretty useful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

This section sounds interesting: How to 'deal' with a dog that's attacking you. He must have cycled in the wild in Africa or something.
    That section was removed from subsequent editions. Rather OTT it was.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74538649&postcount=10

I didn't know he'd died until months after the event. Very much enjoyed his books. Didn't agree with all his points, but he always wrote well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Do not tighten your cycling shoes too much. As you feet swell the blood starts to get cut off, your feet go numb get really cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

1. Keep your arms slightly bent at the elbows. On rough roads this prevents the vibrations travelling up into your shoulders and neck.

(Bent arms = natural shock absorber)

2. Start a climb like a young man and you'll reach the summit like an old man. Start a climb like an old man and you'll reach the summit like a young man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

I tend to start climbs as an old man, but reach the summit as a total geriatric.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

Everyone on the roads apart from you is a moron and will try and kill you..

I find in life and in cycling that its best to treat myself as a moron as well

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    I decided to cycle along the canal following a coming together with a transit last year, deeming it safer. My mother's advice was to not do it, or be very very careful as the canal is filthy and dangerous.

It was rather prophetic as I somehow managed to skid on a small patch last week and go in to it. Back to the roads for my commute when I've recovered.

Other than that, most of the advice I've received here as been pretty useful

:eek: Tell us more. Did you and the bike both go in? Did the bike sink? Hope you're ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

:eek: Tell us more. Did you and the bike both go in? Did the bike sink? Hope you're ok.

He's typing from a waterproof laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

mathie wrote: »
    He's typing from a waterproof laptop.
    his real name is nemo!

nope the bike remained on the bank, i got soaked and needed a few stitches and am on something to ward off some nasty sounding illness. Stitches are just at the knee though so not cycled since which is annoying. I wouldn't advise it, its filthy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

That should have had its own thread, did anyone try to help? (Or laugh)

That should have had its own thread, did anyone try to help? (Or laugh)

I thought about having one. Noone was about as it happened, though many strange looks came my way as it was a beautiful sunny morning as i carried onward to town.

many have since laughed, and in using it as an excuse to buy another bike i think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

mrs brown on the high nelly looks like she just been passed by an ailen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭WAPAIC

"You need a new bike"

"Lock the frame, not the wheel"

"The brakes on french bikes are backwards"

"Get a track pump"

"The best cyclist is the one having the most fun"

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Hauki

"As long as you live in Dublin don't bother with anything expensive (bike related) as it's going to get stolen".

Should have listened, lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

what's the reason for not cycling on a hard shoulder?
    prob something obvious..debris?

Here's a bit of advice I forgot to mention from Frankie Andreu. Always wash your hands. A few boys in The RAS will testify to this.
    Pez: What’s the biggest lesson or secret or tip you learned as a pro rider, something you have passed along to your riders or even something that mortal beings could benefit from?
    Wash your hands! I swear…it makes a difference. All the travelling, moving around, shaking hands, there’s lots of chances to get sick. Washing your hands constantly really helps keep you healthy, and not missing the time off the bike. If you can avoid getting ill over the season that means you won’t miss weeks of training or racing, and that’s an advantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Why do people say stay in the saddle when climbing when sometimes it seems you get a second wind by standing for a while then back into the saddle? In my own amateur experience there are hills around Wicklow that I wouldnt make it a 1/3 of the way up if I didnt stand at some points.

I'm physically unable to get out of the saddle on climbs, I literally don't have the legs for it on long climbs yet I can spin comfortably up them. Getting out if the saddle takes a lot more energy (with me at least)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

what's the reason for not cycling on a hard shoulder?
    prob something obvious..debris?

The fact that it creates the needs to merge with traffic when the hard shoulder ends springs to mind.

That and the probability that cars are unaware of your presence and might just swing in on you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

fat bloke wrote: »
    Pedal down the hill.

Pedal up the hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 SMacX

SMacX wrote: »
    I also remember him saying always wear gloves. Because he says, "If you fall and tear your hands, you won't be able to walk for weeks".

I was a young fella taking all these words of wisdom in. I didn't get it until the place erupted. :)

Damnation, that was meant to be "****" not "walk". Is there a decency bot on here????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

The best bit of advice I got was from a very seasoned member of a former club when we were out on a cold miserable day in the hills. I said that we could be at home, having a lie in followed by a late breakfast. His response was:

"I've had a few lie ins in my time. I've often regretted not getting out for a spin. Never have I regretted getting out on my bike."

Thank that chap if you ever meet him again. This post has been great motivation for me for the past 3 months. I started back commuting in March. I read this post in May and with a possible charity cycle in work looming in July, thought f*ck it I'm in. I jumped on the strava bandwagon in early July and since then have done just over 1000k (all on my little single speed 48/16 - not a hipster btw). Dropped over a stone (can do with losing a few more) and the weight is continuing to drop. Looking forward to winter commutes and will definitely be along to a few sportives before the year is out and hopefully do at least one per month next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

daragh_ wrote: »
    Take that plastic peak off your helmet, you look like a truffle hunter.

Unless you're a mountainbiker in which case put the peak back on your helmet or you'll look like a roadie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

never drink the water in Kilkenny was a bit of advice I got when doing my first ras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭a148pro

assos bib shorts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Practice repairing a puncture /replacing a tube at home, don't leave it until you are at the side of the road

(Advice, I should have heeded, got my first puncture this evening, managed ok, but it probably took me 5-10min longer than it should have, then it started raining 10min from home)

• Advertisement
Advertisement