Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boiler leaking water - what's normal procedure?

• 16-05-2014 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

We had a plumber in the other day to sort an airlock in the boiler (the oil tank emptied before we realised). The next day we noticed a leak from the oil inflow pipe so we got him to come back. He tightened a valve on that pipe and it seems to have stopped. But he said there appears to be water leaking from inside the boiler as well. He said he'd keep an eye on it for a couple of days and if the concrete plinth under the boiler didn't dry off he'd have a look, but that we probably need a new boiler (it's 10 years old and he's already replaced 2 similar ones in the estate).

Is this normal procedure for a suspected leak? I find the 'watch it and see if it dries up' approach a bit laid back! And saying we might need a new boiler when he hasn't even identified whether there's a problem seems odd - is it generally too difficult or expensive to repair a leaking boiler?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

TwoCats wrote: »
    We had a plumber in the other day to sort an airlock in the boiler (the oil tank emptied before we realised). The next day we noticed a leak from the oil inflow pipe so we got him to come back. He tightened a valve on that pipe and it seems to have stopped. But he said there appears to be water leaking from inside the boiler as well. He said he'd keep an eye on it for a couple of days and if the concrete plinth under the boiler didn't dry off he'd have a look, but that we probably need a new boiler (it's 10 years old and he's already replaced 2 similar ones in the estate).

Is this normal procedure for a suspected leak? I find the 'watch it and see if it dries up' approach a bit laid back! And saying we might need a new boiler when he hasn't even identified whether there's a problem seems odd - is it generally too difficult or expensive to repair a leaking boiler?

I have seen them repaired successfully. But if you ask your plummer to do this, you have to be willing to pay him even if the repair fails soon after. Then you will also have to pay for a new boiler.

If there has been similar problems in the estate, the the installation needs to be investigated to see why this is happening.

Above is assuming that it is a boiler leak in the first place and not a leaking prv or other fitting.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭shane 007

Could you post a picture of where the leak is coming from on the boiler?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭TwoCats

shane 007 wrote: »
    Could you post a picture of where the leak is coming from on the boiler?
    I'll have a look tonight. It doesn't seem to be easily identifiable though, the plumber is (so far) basing the diagnosis entirely on how wet the ground is under the boiler, I don't think he's pinned down a specific leak - which is why I'm wondering why he's talking about a new boiler already!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

I wouldn't call that normal procedure for a suspected leak. If its leaking its leaking and wont fix itself, normal procedure would be to investigate it as soon as possible and determine what the source of the leak is. It may just be a PRV that is failing or maybe an AAV that is passing water. Leaving it a few days to see does it stop makes no sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

dpofloinn wrote: »
    I wouldn't call that normal procedure for a suspected leak. If its leaking its leaking and wont fix itself, normal procedure would be to investigate it as soon as possible and determine what the source of the leak is. It may just be a PRV that is failing or maybe an AAV that is passing water. Leaving it a few days to see does it stop makes no sense

Maybe he's checked all the fittings and is coming back in a few days to make sure it wasn't spilt water or a dog pissing against the boiler that cause the wetness.

• Advertisement

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Maybe he's checked all the fittings and is coming back in a few days to make sure it wasn't spilt water or a dog pissing against the boiler that cause the wetness.

Could be. Let's hope it doesn't rain in the meantime.

I'll have a look tonight. It doesn't seem to be easily identifiable though, the plumber is (so far) basing the diagnosis entirely on how wet the ground is under the boiler, I don't think he's pinned down a specific leak - which is why I'm wondering why he's talking about a new boiler already!

Maybe he's talking about a new boiler because, if it is leaking, a lot of plumbers don't patch up old leaking boilers

Could be. Let's hope it doesn't rain in the meantime.

Do you own a dog?? :)

Do you own a dog?? :)
    My username can answer that : ) (and they prefer to pee in flower pots when they're outside; the boiler is for lying on when they're cold)

My username can answer that : ) (and they prefer to pee in flower pots when they're outside; the boiler is for lying on when they're cold)

Maybe the cat spilt his coffee :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

flat base of boiler is on damp ground it will rust away underneat, all pipe work connection points are normally visable and if nothing is visable then you won't know till boiler is taken out or pressure tested to make leak more visible.

In my view, plumber right to wait and see if it keeps showing dampness, especially in this dry weather, before removing boiler.
    Is there signs of rust at bottom of boiler ?
    I've often had to replace perfectly good looking boilers to see the flat base rusted to bits.
    If new boiler Is required, you will have to raise it on blocks or 18"x18" paving slab with plastic underneat slab.

If boiler has very little rust and a pin hole leak. Then the cause could be a problem with the pipework design in the house, espicaly if neighbours similar houses had the same problem.

No, no visible signs of rust. We have some spare blocks, but presumably lifting the boiler onto those isn't as straightforward as it sounds to me?

I don't think it was spilled coffee; one cat is brain damaged and hasn't the coordination to hold a cup and I suspect the other's more a G&T girl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭shane 007

Could try lickin' it (the ol' taste test) :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

would it not be a good idea to maybe run the boiler for say 10/15 mins as it may be a hairline crack which is expanding under working temp and then observe as it starts to cool down

I have come across a few like this

jimf wrote: »
    would it not be a good idea to maybe run the boiler for say 10/15 mins as it may be a hairline crack which is expanding under working temp and then observe as it starts to cool down

Certainly no harm to try it Jim. Good idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

I remember repairing the middle section of a 12 section cast iron boiler when I was an apprentice it took us two days to do it and what a pain in the a rse it was too.

I would hope it's just a leaking prv valve or auto air vent on top of the boiler or a stat pocket weeping.

Are there any components made into the top of the unit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭anthonyos

jimf wrote: »

And then ask for 70 euro. I find these situations hard because people dont like paying for bad news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

anthonyos wrote: »
    And then ask for 70 euro. I find these situations hard because people dont like paying for bad news

I suppose you would have to use your own discretion there Anthony if it was a regular customer I would be a bit embarrassed to ask for money :o

might be the last 70 eu youd ever get there :eek:

Advertisement