Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man Killed, Garda stabbed in Dungarvan Incident

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

You should change your title to, Boy killed...... He was only 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

obezyana wrote: »
    You should change your title to, Boy killed...... He was only 16.

OR
    Person who was part of a mob harassing an off duty Garda dies running away because all these mob members are cowards and wouldn't face up to their actions !!

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

"It was also being reported locally that he received injuries injuries on agricultural equipment and then fell into the water."

Nasty enough way for a child to die.

One thing is for certain. These boys will now be caught and brought to justice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Died rather than killed is a better description, it certainly sounds accidental, kill tends to suggest foul play.

"Three other men have been arrested"

RTE is saying he was 18.

10 years each and be done with it.

20 for whoever stabbed him with a bottle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

RTE is saying he was 18.

Shouldn't this be in the county forum?

I'm hearing that one of those arrested was involved in this incident the night before: http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/gardai-arrest-man-armed-with-hatchet-after-burglary-in-waterford-30269888.html

deisedevil wrote: »
    Shouldn't this be in the county forum?

I'm hearing that one of those arrested was involved in this incident the night before: http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/gardai-arrest-man-armed-with-hatchet-after-burglary-in-waterford-30269888.html

Who gets arrested with a hatchet after a burglary and is free to walk the streets the day after?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sounds fairly standard these days! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Who gets arrested with a hatchet after a burglary and is free to walk the streets the day after?

It's Ireland... He was probably given a few quid for his troubles and told to be on his way.

Justice doesn't exist in this country

Is there actually any truth to the fact he was caught with a hatchet? How come RTE or anything hasnt picked up on that fact?

Ive heard some stupid situations but if thats the truth surely it would attract more attention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 eamonn3974

Would not suprise me in the slightest if both were connected. Place is really gone downhill lately..if any good comes from this it may spur the Garda into being more proactive in curtailing the activities of a certain bunch of lowlifes who are dragging what was once a nice town into the gutter.Less focus on traffic offences and fines at the local courthouse and a few heafty sentences are needed.

Right so heres what i gather happened.

Bunch of lads drinking on street. Man comes out of house and tells them to get lost.

They throw bottles at him and he gets hit in head.

Boys run and one gets seriously injured while climbing over fence then falls beside stream and dies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Is there actually any truth to the fact he was caught with a hatchet? How come RTE or anything hasnt picked up on that fact?

Ive heard some stupid situations but if thats the truth surely it would attract more attention.

Why, it's the norm

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Right so heres what i gather happened.

Bunch of lads drinking on street. Man comes out of house and tells them to get lost.

They throw bottles at him and he gets hit in head.

Boys run and one gets seriously injured while climbing over fence then falls beside stream and dies.

Except thats not what happened based on reports so far,
    Guys drinking outside in the street is one thing, idiots throwing stuff at a house is another. Both would be illegal of course.
    http://www.thejournal.ie/waterford-raid-garda-1467784-May2014/

The Superintendent was at his family home in Dungarvan and a bottle was thrown at a window of the house.

It is understood that the man went outside where he was confronted by a group of at least three youths.

Irish Times reports:
    He went outside after his wife had heard what she thought was a bottle being thrown at the front of the property.

Once outside, the off-duty officer became involved in a confrontation with the group and sources said he was assaulted when a bottle was thrown at the back of his head.

How the man died is another matter, some news sources say he drowned, other say fence and another says he was injured by farm machines

Still not a "raid" as was first reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

I suppose they will actually go to work now and try and punish these guys, sure they would be so motivated if Joe Public was the victim.

Awful story but the I could use awful in another context, awful that a local pub is being broken into regularly by the same two guys (caught on camera) and what will the Gardai do? Nothing.. don't even answer the phone. Shame

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭waterford

The 3 lads released without charge ???
    better pay my TV licence or I will end up in jail

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

waterford wrote: »
    The 3 lads released without charge ???
    better pay my TV licence or I will end up in jail

A file is probably being prepared for the DPP.

This will take time.

And remember, they are innocent until proven guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

RTE is saying he was 18.

I agree with this lock em up for 10 years and that will sort em out. Other
    Chap paid the ultimate price but if your out looking for trouble more often
    than not you'll get it.

If his parents had any regard for him he wouldn't have been out getting locked
    On a school night at 2am causing trouble with a load of rapscallions.

I agree with this lock em up for 10 years and that will sort em out. Other
    Chap paid the ultimate price but if your out looking for trouble more often
    than not you'll get it.

If his parents had any regard for him he wouldn't have been out getting locked
    On a school night at 2am causing trouble with a load of rapscallions.

How are you turning this into a thing about his parents having any regard for him? How do you know what his parents are like they might be nice people maybe the son was just a troublesome kid that doesn't mean his parents had any disregard for him there is plenty of good parents with troublesome kids.

• Advertisement

How are you turning this into a thing about his parents having any regard for him? How do you know what his parents are like they might be nice people maybe the son was just a troublesome kid that doesn't mean his parents any any disregard for him there is plenty of good parents with troublesome kids.

Your right they might be lovely people. But I wasn't allowed out drinking on a school night at all hours and had rules and boundaries, and hey look I'm still alive! I wasn't a particularly agreeable child either but there are ways and means of dealing with that.

Not turning it into parent bashing session but don't have sympathy for the boys any of them they got themselves into a difficult situation and when it came to dealing with the consequences fled and one didn't make it.

I do feel sorry for the parents for their loss but a lack of controls on their behalf allowed this to happen. I know my mother at the time wouldn't have slept until I was home safe.

Your right they might be lovely people. But I wasn't allowed out drinking on a school night at all hours and had rules and boundaries, and hey look I'm still alive! I wasn't a particularly agreeable child either but there are ways and means of dealing with that.

Not turning it into parent bashing session but don't have sympathy for the boys any of them they got themselves into a difficult situation and when it came to dealing with the consequences fled and one didn't make it.

I do feel sorry for the parents for their loss but a lack of controls on their behalf allowed this to happen. I know my mother at the time wouldn't have slept until I was home safe.

I like you had rules and boundaries set by my parents and yes sometimes I broke them and in doing that I suffered the consequences again I like you turned out perfectly ok but not everybody goes that way.

Some kids/teenagers for whatever reasons choose a different path regardless of how hard their parents try and correct them so it's not really fair for you to come along and blame the parents. They are now suffering the loss of a son whether he was good bad or indifferent is now irrelevant.

I like you had rules and boundaries set by my parents and yes sometimes I broke them and in doing that I suffered the consequences again I like you turned out perfectly ok but not everybody goes that way.

Some kids/teenagers for whatever reasons choose a different path regardless of how hard their parents try and correct them so it's not really fair for you to come along and blame the parents. They are now suffering the loss of a son whether he was good bad or indifferent is now irrelevant.

Fair Point

However whether he was good or bad is very relevant in my opinion whether it was a one off misbehavioural occurrence or not.
    If he was in bed where he should have been he'd likely still be alive.

Fair Point

However whether he was good or bad is very relevant in my opinion whether it was a one off misbehavioural occurrence or not.
    If he was in bed where he should have been he'd likely still be alive.

Hindsight is a great thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Hindsight is a great thing.

No, behaving like a reasonable human being and not like a toerag is a great thing....

Advertisement