Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Hand Cot

Options
  • 16-05-2014 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm pregnant and have been given my cot from my parents. It is the same one that was used for me and my siblings. I havent assembled it yet but it appears to still be in good condition just needs a light sand and a lick of paint.

Anyway my question is, is it still safe to use? It is a drop side cot, with a timberframed wire mesh base. I need to buy a decent mattress but I read that drop side cots are no longer recommended for safety reasons. Im going to be a single mum so I'm looking to keep costs to a minimum.

Any one any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

I bought a drop side cot in Mothercare when my 1st was born 4 yrs ago. I never heard they weren't recommended and i can't see any reason for it. Ours can't be dropped by baby, you need to push in the drop side on the outside to lower it, kind of hard to explain. To be honest i've never used the drop side, by the time the cot is at it's lowest settings the baby/toddler is usually standing up waiting to be lifted out after sleep. If you're concerned you could put the drop side against a wall.

Best of luck with your new baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

One of mine is in my old cot. I scrubbed it well, didn't bother sanding or painting it, and bought a new mattress. I just dont use the drop side at all. One tip is that the wire mesh was squeaky so we put a few box lids over it with the mattress on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

My son is in the same cot I had as a baby. I just got a new mattress for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

We have a drop side cot in granny's house which is used whenever we stay (every 2 weeks or so). We have never used the drop side as he's standing now. But it was bought brand new a year ago and shops sell them so they've not been discontinued or anything.

I think i have heard of them being discontinued in USA for safety reasons.... But not here. And we will still be using ours.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

We have one and our little one is the fifth child to use it, gets passed around between the cousins. Clean it up, a new mattress and you're good to go. Just check all the screws are tight and nothing is missing in that department...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I think when we were looking for a cot, the only ones Baby Elegance did were drop-side ones! So they're definitely not discontinued or anything. I know there were a few freak accidents, but I think that they occurred mostly in cases where there was a fault with the cot. If you're certain it's in good condition, I'm sure it would be fine, with a new mattress.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

just buy a new mattress and it will be perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

They were kind of outlawed in America... don't know why but then it's america and they dont need a reason !! :rolleyes: I have the cot i bought 15 years ago, its drop side, that just went up in the attic before Christmas, it'll be coming out again this Christmas :D

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks Everyone!! I probably will used it, I will fully assemble it soon and clean it up.
    I'm just a little overwhelmed and excited by everything and trying to be as prepared as possible! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

If it worries you, you could maybe permanently fix the drop side in the up position with a few screws?

I am the first in my family not to use the crib that every baby apparently went into, much to my mother's chagrin. It's a frikkin death trap, it's 60 odd years old!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

New mum!! wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm pregnant and have been given my cot from my parents. It is the same one that was used for me and my siblings. I havent assembled it yet but it appears to still be in good condition just needs a light sand and a lick of paint.

Anyway my question is, is it still safe to use? It is a drop side cot, with a timberframed wire mesh base. I need to buy a decent mattress but I read that drop side cots are no longer recommended for safety reasons. Im going to be a single mum so I'm looking to keep costs to a minimum.

Any one any advice?

To be honest you can get great deals on cots now, you could get a nice one for less than €50 inc delivery. I have scrubbed and painted a cot and it is not cheap as you need to use special paint with low/fumes. I definitely spent a good €20 on paint plus then add in a roller and a paint brush. I had to get "colour trend" but to be honest it still had fumes and I aired the cot for probably 2 weeks and then get petrified about SIDS! It is also a pain to paint as it needed 3 coats.

The other thing is there is some rule on the distance between the bars of the cot so check that out!

I think the drop side cots are banned in America, can't remember exactly but I think small children were messing with it and getting their fingers cot or maybe they were falling out?

I know people who have ordered off this company and found them great. (They sell on ebay too) they got a cot and sprung mattress inc delivery for €80. I can't see the deal but ring them as they buy in big batches so prices change.
    https://babyaccessoriesireland.ie/search?search_query=Cots&submit_search=Search&orderby=reference&orderway=asc

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

If you are any ways short, or plan to be pregnant again while you have a cot-age child, you'll appreciate the drop side. I cant manage without it. Especially now my baby is much bigger and heavier.

I got a second hand one, but it didn't need restoration, just a good scrub and a new mattress, but if I'd see if the cost of the restoration would be more than a new cheap one. Unless of course there was sentimental value reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I'd use it. We use the cot I was in as a baby. It needed a couple of new screws in the base, and I got a new mattress. I like the idea of generational furtniture. Very environmentally friendly.

Advertisement