Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asking Landlord for a reduction in rent due to house being for sale

Options
  • 16-05-2014 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭

The house we are renting has just been put on the market for sale. We have a for sale sign out in the yard and have had three seperate viewing.
    My question is, can I ask my landlord for a reduction in rent (say fifty euro a month).
    As a result of the viewing we are obviously having to keep the house in a spotless condition, but more than that we are having people walk around all out personal possessions.
    I would imagine the house will be on the market for a while so we are being inconvenienced.

Thanks for your help :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Yes you can make the offer. You don't have to tolerate any viewings as your lease and/or Part IV rights entitle you to peaceful enjoyment of the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

murphaph wrote: »
    Yes you can make the offer. You don't have to tolerate any viewings as your lease and/or Part IV rights entitle you to peaceful enjoyment of the property.

If the property needs to be sold, and the OP doesn't allow a single viewing, the chances are that they will get an eviction notice, the sale of the property being one of the reasons a Part IV can be terminated.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

If the property needs to be sold, and the OP doesn't allow a single viewing, the chances are that they will get an eviction notice, the sale of the property being one of the reasons a Part IV can be terminated.

If it's a residential purchase, they'll get an eviction notice anyway in order to satisfy bank requirements for 'vacant possession' before any sale can proceed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

OP doesnt say hes on a Part 4, could be on a fixed term.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

The house we are renting has just been put on the market for sale. We have a for sale sign out in the yard and have had three seperate viewing.
    My question is, can I ask my landlord for a reduction in rent (say fifty euro a month).
    As a result of the viewing we are obviously having to keep the house in a spotless condition, but more than that we are having people walk around all out personal possessions.
    I would imagine the house will be on the market for a while so we are being inconvenienced.

Thanks for your help :cool:

You can ask. I was renting an apartment before and it was put up for sale, we asked for a reduction because of the hassle / uncertainty and got a small one

In regards to viewings make sure you are ok with all viewings. If you're not happy with a viewing time because you'll be there / have someone over, arrange something that suits you. When it was me I arranged it that viewings could happen every Tuesday afternoon, so that we could have the rest of the week without having to worry about if someone was going to call around and didn't have to put away valuables every day

• Advertisement
Advertisement