Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should My flatmate receive full deposit?

Options
  • 16-05-2014 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭

Hi.

3 of us have been in an apartment for 3 years. The current lease is up and one flatmate is moving out. 2 of us are signing a new 6 month lease with a new flatmate.
    The flatmate currently leaving is looking to get his deposit back. Should he be given his full deposit back by us? It seems weird that if we all decide to leave in 6 months after the new lease,and the landlord doesn't give back the full deposit due to wear and tear etc, that we all lose some of our deposit, yet one flatmate is here for 3 years and loses nothing!!
    Haven't been in this position before so don't know how it usually works!

Advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Yes he should. A deposit isn't for 'wear and tear' either.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Yes he should, the new 3rd flatmate should give it to him and then get it back at the end of the 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Get the LL to do a check and see he's happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Ok. I thought wear and tear came into it but I stand corrected. We haven't broken anything and the place is as it was 3 years ago.
    The landlord lives abroad and leaves an estate agent in charge. They are pretty useless so i wouldn't be surprised if they didn't come round to look!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

You guys should not have to give him the deposit out of your money.
    either the Landlord gives it to him or the new tenant gives it to him,

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    You guys should not have to give him the deposit out of your money.
    either the Landlord gives it to him or the new tenant gives it to him,

the new tenant will be giving it to him. he is paying a full deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Seems like it might be prudent to check with the estate agent, and ask them to confirm with a visit that the current condition of the apartment would not result in any deposit withheld.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

Well if you nothing has been damaged in the apartment since you moved in then I don't see the problem with giving him his deposit back when the new tenant moves in.

ok, thanks for the help guys. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

pc7 wrote: »
    Yes he should, the new 3rd flatmate should give it to him and then get it back at the end of the 6 months.
    That is the way it is usually done. However, the deposit should really be returned by the landlord or is agent and ther new tenant should give his deposit to the landlord / agent and get a receipt for it.

Edit: Sorry, Ted 1, missed your post.

• Advertisement
Advertisement