Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CVE-2014-0196: Linux kernel <= v3.15-rc4: raw mode PTY local echo race condition

• 16-05-2014 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭

Might be of some interest to any sys admins who frequent this board.

Proof of Concept code has been released for CVE-2014-0196. Credit to Matt Daley: http://bugfuzz.com/stuff/cve-2014-0196-md.c

Thanks Matt. Thanks for making me try it on all the servers I manage to check if Im vulnerable. Like I had nothing else to do on this sunny Friday. :p

Seriously though, one machine was vulnerable. I rather know about this stuff then not know about it. Im sure others here are the same.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Did you get root on the box in question? Just compile that c file and run it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Khannie wrote: »
    Did you get root on the box in question? Just compile that c file and run it?

On one box I did. Its an awesome feeling when its part of a Pen Test. Its chilling when its one of your own boxen.

To compile, run:
    cc -o a.out -lpthread -lopenpty cve-2014-0196-md.c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

syklops wrote: »
    Its chilling when its one of your own boxen.

My lovely boooxxeeeennnn.....with your ethernet cables blowing in the wind...

Advertisement