Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is 30hp enough

• 16-05-2014 2:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭

Hi there
    While not new to boating I am new to ribs. I have a 4.4mt rib with center console without engine. I'll be using it off the coast of Clare with the wife and kids and the odd days fishing

As ye probably know secondhand engines in the 40 to 60 HP range are like hens teeth.

Would a 30hp be too small for it? What would the pros and con's be if any with a 30hp

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

You should be ok with a 30 hp, the 4.4 ribs are rated for about 15 - 60 hp so your bang in the middle and should get into the low 20's in knots with a 4 stroke and a little bit more with a two stroke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭German pointer

Speaking of 15hp the father has a 15 honda with tiller i might give that a go on the river tomorrow just to get a an idea of how the 15 does and then maybe go for the 30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭Faing

Prop size/pitch can be just as important as hp so don't despair if it seems to underperform.

Yea i had a 50hp under preform before on a hard boat a change of prop sorted it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭Ferris

I would hold out for minimum 40hp and aim for a 50 to 60. Reason being you'll need plenty of grunt with a family on board. Also I'd imagine on the west coast it's useful to have a bit of speed to run from bad weather. Also running an undersized outboard will use more petrol than a bigger motor at lower revs. This is especially true for 2-strokes.

I've driven avon 4m and 4.7m ribs with both 30hp and 40hp yamahas and would wait for the bigger engine every time.

• Advertisement

Update on this I picked up a 40 and its been fitted at the moment. Thanks for all the advice.

Advertisement