Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are wheelie bins allowed in bag collection areas?

Options
  • 16-05-2014 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭

I live on a narrow street that has house on both sides. I can see why it's a bag collection area, as the wheelie bins would block the whole place up if everyone had them.
    But I wanted a brown bin, so called greyhound and they said they would send me a black, green and brown bin together. So I was happy with that, bins arrived and I put them at the back of the house.
    But are they actually supposed to send these bins out to a bag collection area? I get the impression that the council didn't allow it when they were in charge, but greyhound couldn't care less.
    I'm glad to have my brown bin anyway but just curious

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

just noticed this - I had the bins and wanted to change to bag collection and eventually greyhound relented as there were others on my street using bags but the majority have bins. I think they have to continue with what the council permitted for terraced sts without rear access but obviously make more money from the bins than the bags. My refuse costs have gone to less than €100 a year now. They also never collected the bins so they are handy for storing firewood!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

I find the bins a lot cheaper than the bags. Because the green bin is free and we recycle a lot. Its great having a brown bin too, so all the fruit and veg peels and teabags don't have to go in the normal bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I was walking through Maryland (off Cork St.) this morning. Half the houses have greyhound bags out, the other half are wheelie bins. You're talking about three or four small streets there (houses with front gardens).

So I'm guessing its allowed / tolerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Just when I was getting used to the wheelie bin setup, Greyhound decide to stop collecting in my area. So I have to go back to €3 per bag (even for recycling)
    Surely recycling bags should be free, the same as the green bin?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Just when I was getting used to the wheelie bin setup, Greyhound decide to stop collecting in my area. So I have to go back to €3 per bag (even for recycling)
    Surely recycling bags should be free, the same as the green bin?

Just buy a pack of clear bags and bring them to your recyling centre yourself - the missus uses the superquinn delivery bags. Obviously only applicable if you have transport and it's close like mine is. It's a disgrace they charge that for a recycling bag. The new bin bags are crap aswell. Preferred the stickers but people were counterfeiting them!

• Advertisement
Advertisement