Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good idea to visit local estate agents and tell them what we are looking for.

Options
  • 16-05-2014 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭

Having had to pull out of a house purchase recently, our solicitor has advised us to visit all the local estate agents/auctioneers and ouline our criteria for a property and then let them come back to us as apparently some properties are never advertised for sale so we would miss out.

Now the types of properties we are hoping to buy seem to have dried up, is it a good idea to let the EAs know what we are looking for. And if it is, do we have to let them know the max we are willing to pay. We have a budget and unless we win the lotto we have a strict cut off point which can't change.
    Any advice as always is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,951 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Let them know what you're looking for, never EVER tell them how much money you have.

My mam went into an estate agent and they said 'oh, what's his budget' - and she told them. Could have brained her!

All of the viewings we went to were before they were listed online. The house we bought wasnt listed at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

Speak with the receptionist/secretary!
    They are a mine of knowledge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

apparently some properties are never advertised for sale so we would miss out.

It's true. I don't know if it's old people don't like the idea of lots of viewings or trying to save on advertising but when I was looking 2 years ago, I'd get a call now and again from the local EA with a property being sold "off the market".

Edit: just saw the end of your post. No you don't tell them budget, you tell them you're looking for say: 4/5 bed detached in areas X, Y and Z.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Thanks all. Just have to find the time to go round to them all now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Thanks all. Just have to find the time to go round to them all now.

I never went around to them all but would just talk to them at viewings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

i found none of them were interested in anything except viewings on actual houses. They would send details about stuff that didn't fit my criteria (i.e. 3 bed semis when you ask for a detached). I find one difficult to even ring us back when we ring about a property.

Advertisement