Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I accidently bought and opened wrong food!

• 16-05-2014 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all,

Today I went out for a 7.5kg bag of Hills puppy mini (which he loves!) for my 3 month old Shih tzu, I came back however with a bag of medium breed food which I then opened without checking the label so I obviously won't be able to return!

The kibbles don't seem to be much bigger than the mini ones so I don't think he'll have a problem chewing them as some of his treats are of a similar size. My worry is whether the nutritional value will be enough for him! The bag is 7.5 kg which will be split with my Mum's shih tzu so 3.75kg will last around 4 weeks.

My question to you all is whether he will be OK on this food until it runs out or should I go out and get the mini immediately?

Please help! Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I'd just feed it...and possibly look at switching them both to a better food because Hills is comparable to Pedigree ie a bit crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Maybe get a small bag of Mini puppy and mix the 2 of them in together so it doesnt go to waste? It wont do him any harm but the puppy food has more nutrition in it designed for growing puppies so might be best to keep him on that for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Lizard112

It's still puppy food... just the medium breed stuff! It's just slightly bigger pieces than he's used to.

Thanks guys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Lizard112 wrote: »
    It's still puppy food... just the medium breed stuff! It's just slightly bigger pieces than he's used to.

Thanks guys!

Ah, well in that case it would be absolutely fine. But as Tk said, i would def look into a better food for the future as Hills wouldnt be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Not as easy as that tk123..my own shih tzus are fairly fussy in general and they all have dodgy stomachs as a breed in general
    you would need to mix 3/4 old food with 1/4 of the new food so they get used to it..oh to the OP..Hills isnt the best i fed mine royal canin shiz tzu puppy at 3 months a bit expensive but worth it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    Not as easy as that tk123..my own shih tzus are fairly fussy in general and they all have dodgy stomachs as a breed in general
    you would need to mix 3/4 old food with 1/4 of the new food so they get used to it..oh to the OP..Hills isnt the best i fed mine royal canin shiz tzu puppy at 3 months a bit expensive but worth it

!? Do you mean what I said about the hills or switching foods? The op has bought a bigger sized kibble of exactly the same food.. For switching yes you need to mix in gradually to avoid tummy upsets... Hills and RC are a bad choice for a dog with a sensitive tummy because it's loaded with fillers and cereals - the two things that are usually the cause of the problems in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Lizard112

Thanks everyone! I will look in to changing the food soon I think after hearing bad things about Hills. He seems happy on it though and I'm a bit worried about choosing the wrong food and upsetting his sensitive tummy!

Thanks again!

Advertisement