Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valencia Marathon

Options
  • 16-05-2014 3:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭

After a solid 6 weeks off since the Paris marathon, which I badly needed. I’ve tentatively started thinking about my next marathon.

After going through the different marathon websites I picked out the Valencia marathon due to its flatness and date in the middle of November. To be honest I won’t start proper training till August as I need another month or so off and July is a busy time for me with work. I’ll do at least one 10 mile run a week (some weeks two, depending on work) with the odd speed work session to keep me in the loop till late August. Then I hope to have 12 weeks proper training before the race although this might be cut to 10.

Its a city I have wanted to visit so I’ve already booked my flights but as of yet have not entered the race. Still kind of in two minds at the minute, my body is only getting over my last marathon.

Is anyone else on here thinking of entering the race or know much about it? I know a few on here entered a few years back and got on ok.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Excellent marathon, usually good running weather, reasonable crowd support and a very nice finishing area. Good value to.

Not the easiest to get to from Ireland, you can't go direct.

Any specific questions?

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Anyone else down to do this race? Haven't started to train properly and need to get my house in order!

Their website isn't the best but do they have pacers? I presume so but it doesn't say.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭redved

I'm in for this also. Did it about four years ago, but the route has changed since then.
    There were pacers at that time @15 min intervals so I presume thats still the case

I've had funny prep for this race to be honest I've not done much.

A couple of 10 milers, shorter fast runs then ran a half in 1:27 last weekend.

Upping my mileage next week, hoping to do a 15 miler, then 20 the week after. All in all I'm hoping for three 20 milers before race day (plus shorter fast runs). Two months away at this stage. Quality rather than quantity!

Hopefully the weather will still be decent in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

I've had funny prep for this race to be honest I've not done much.

A couple of 10 milers, shorter fast runs then ran a half in 1:27 last weekend.

Upping my mileage next week, hoping to do a 15 miler, then 20 the week after. All in all I'm hoping for three 20 milers before race day (plus shorter fast runs). Two months away at this stage. Quality rather than quantity!

Hopefully the weather will still be decent in November.

The weather can be hard to call in November obviously. When Belcarra and myself did it two years ago it was 20 or 21 degrees - a bit hot for your standard Paddy. It could be wet but hardly cold. Course has changed a little but flat as a pancake and yes, they had pacers. They were handing out gels from around halfway iirc.

• Advertisement

The weather is still looking a bit hot for this marathon.

I have my last big run for this at the weekend, hoping it won't be too hot on the day after hearing all the horror story's at the Dublin marathon. Not exactly trained too hard for this so just hoping for a bit of luck on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Diablo Verde

I'm in for it too. Training has been patchy to say the least. Have done very little since a 1:26 half in Dublin, but I eventually managed to get 2 20 milers in over the past two weekends.

I live over in Spain and the weather is still hot alright. Looks like there'll be a drop in temperatures during the week of the race but it's anyone's guess what that means at the minute.

Good stuff I'm sure a few more on here will be doing it too.

I had hoped for three 20 mile runs but I haven't even had one yet which is a bit of a joke. Got my first this Saturday, before that 15 miles on a real hilly route is my longest which I felt fine after. Did a fair bit round the half marathon distance. Not sure what to expect but I believe the city is beautiful so looking forward to that!

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

After watching the "carnage" of the DCM at mile 25, I will be keeping a keen eye on the prevailing weather conditions in Valencia before setting my race day target. Training has gone okay so far with 3 good 20mile LSRs and one mediocre 20mile effort!

Its looking like 20 degrees for Sunday. Not sure what type of shape I'm in after a few injuries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Diablo Verde

Yeah. it's looking like it'll be fairly warm alright. Hopefully, we'll get lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭donaghs

Excellent marathon, usually good running weather, reasonable crowd support and a very nice finishing area. Good value to.

Not the easiest to get to from Ireland, you can't go direct.

Any specific questions?

TbL

I'm fairly sure Ryanair fly direct from Dublin to Valencia. I took this flight a few years ago. Looking at their website now, still seems to be operating.

Yeah pretty much confirmed as 20 degrees for most of the race with 30k westerly winds.

Looks like a hot and windy marathon!

Yeah pretty much confirmed as 20 degrees for most of the race with 30k westerly winds.

Without wanting to depress you guys, that wind is not the one you want in Valencia. If it does blow, it'll make things feel warmer again. That said, it is usually very dry when it's 'poniente'..... so that could be in your favour. Maybe that marathon should start at 9..... the December Pisa one could start at 10. We should ask em to swap.

Itziger wrote: »
    Without wanting to depress you guys, that wind is not the one you want in Valencia. If it does blow, it'll make things feel warmer again. That said, it is usually very dry when it's 'poniente'..... so that could be in your favour. Maybe that marathon should start at 9..... the December Pisa one could start at 10. We should ask em to swap.

Oh good god I'm bracing myself for the worst now!

The marathon starts at 9am so hopfully if the wind and the high temperature could lay off till about 1pm I would be delighted. Looks like 16 degress at the start, better get the sun block on! That said we'll see what exactly the weather is on the day.

Will take on a bit more water at early stations too!

Good luck with the training for Pisa.

donaghs wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure Ryanair fly direct from Dublin to Valencia. I took this flight a few years ago. Looking at their website now, still seems to be operating.[/QUOTEn]

They fly twice a week during the summer but no good for the marathon in November

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

yr.no forecast looks a bit better than that, 14 degrees between 7am & 1pm with gentle westerly breeze of 4 m/s (14 kph) so hopefully conditions wont be too much of an issue for ye. Best of luck & enjoy

Enjoy folks!!!

Thank **** the wind died down a bit, but it got very warm for the last 10 miles.

Very well organised marathon

TbL

Thank **** the wind died down a bit, but it got very warm for the last 10 miles.

Very well organised marathon

TbL

WHAT? I never realised you were doing it! How did it go? Well organised alright, isn't it. Free massage and all at the end. And what an end!

• Advertisement

WHAT? I never realised you were doing it! How did it go? Well organised alright, isn't it. Free massage and all at the end. And what an end!

Yes it's top class. Water in bottles, powerade in bottles, bananas more decent stuff at the finish. Found it very warm for the last 10 miles, hardly a cloud in the sky and it got breezy at times but all in all it's a great event. I think I've run it 4 times now

TbL

All done and dusted. By god it got hot at the 35k mark. Good race and IMO better supportors than Paris, which is a bit of a big call. The locals here were top notch, best marthon I've done that said it was hot for your average Irish person I passed one of the time and temperature signs which they have everywhere here and it was 22 degrees.

Happy out and will be having a socialable pints tonight in that Irish bar!

TBL, how does the new course compare to the old one? I like the fact that you don't pass near the finish at km 33 or so. (I think it was about 33, could be wrong.) Also, last few kms not near the seafront which can be exposed, windy, warm.

TBL, how does the new course compare to the old one? I like the fact that you don't pass near the finish at km 33 or so. (I think it was about 33, could be wrong.) Also, last few kms not near the seafront which can be exposed, windy, warm.

I'm auld so the memory mightn't be the best but no comparison, the new course is way better, hated that seafront bit and today we would have been blown out of there with the wind. I think on the old course there was also a horrible out and back section.

New route is very flat, good crowds and great finish. I think it has the record for the fastest marathon run in Spain. If you could only be sure it would be a few degrees cooler I'd do it every year! Got damn hot for last hour today. Miles better than some other big city marathons and IMO better than Amsterdam and Rotterdam.

TbL

Great event, really good atmosphere. Route was flat and fast. It was slightly hot but nothing too excessive, low humididity with shelter from the wind provided by buildings. Bottles of water and powerade avail every 5k. It was slightly congested for first 8k but those running around 3 hour pace seemed to be in correct areas.

For me personally, I went into the event with an overuse injury that came back to bite me at 29k when I decided to walk rather than cause a more serious injury. At that stage I was looking good for my target but had been living with the niggle from 8k through to 29k. I walked the rest of course and found the crowd amazing. The last 2k is simply brilliant with a great finish at the expo centre. I will be back at this event to sample this atmosphere in running mode.

Entry to the event is cheap, valencia is beautiful city and it's less than 2 hours drive from alicante airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭redved

Highly recommend this event, its my second time doing it, the last time was four years ago.
    Found the new course much better, bit quiet out around 32-34k, but other than that it was perfect.
    Suffered a bit in the heat from about 33k on, Out there about 3 hours at that stage. Its def a course for a pb, can't think of any real hills.

Great support out there, missed my hoped for time by about 10 mins but no complaints really

I'll start with how I'll probably end by saying what a good marathon this is and how highly I would recommend others to do it.

I flew over on the Saturday morning stayed in a hotel about a 30 minute walk from the start/finish line. Very cheap and nice four star hotel where loads of other runners stayed too.

I went down straight to the expo which didn’t seem too organised as I and fair few others turned up to the desk to pick up our bibs to be told to go back outside upstairs to pick up an envelope with your number and go back downstairs to get your goodybag and race tshirt. Didn’t see any signs indicating this but no worries I liked walking around the science museum buildings. The Expo in general was packed as I attended at 1pm on the Saturday. The race tshirt is probably the best out of the races I’ve got, so top marks there.

I got up three hours before the race to eat breakfast and all went to plan. Thankfully no last minute hitches. I left the hotel just after 8 for a 9am start and got a bus to close to the start line for about 8.30. Immediately I went to the baggage area which was in an underground car park, the place was absolutely manic and after being there for close to 10 minutes I thought screw this and threw my bag which only contained an old jumper in the bin as I had only 20mins till the start of the race.

After coming out of the baggage area the start area seemed to have one entry at the bottom of the field so I made my way down and seen some fella hold a sign for 5 hours and thought jeez better get out of this zone. I pushed right up and gradually seen signs for 4.30 and then 4.00 however it was 8.50 at this point and I wanted to be with the 3.15 group who were right up at the very front beside the 3.00 lot. In that sense it wasn’t very organised as with pervious marathons I’ve done (Copenhagen & Paris) it was obvious which pen you had to enter, here it was a bit of a free for all. I asked one steward where I should go for the 3.15 group and she didn’t know! Eventually I battled my way to the top shoving past people and aplogising at the same time. In the end I started the race right beside Raul the 3.15 pacer!

The first few miles were uneventful apart from to say it was extremely congested and a lot of people nearly tripped over each other in the opening two miles. After that point I decided to sit 50 metres directly in front of the group as I had support out on the course and didn’t want to get lost in the bunch.

For some reason in the week leading up and on the day I had a few minor stomach cramps which got me thinking after 3 miles that I might need a toilet break but thankfully that passed after a few miles. I was also thinking that I had made a decision (mainly from reading a comment from that chap RayCun) to drink a couple small amounts at every water station on top of the four gels I would take at 5.5, 11, 16.5 and 21. I felt in previous marathons I didn’t drink enough and really think especially in the heat it was of benefit.

What struck me from the off was the tremendous home support. Admittedly it was a great day for spectating with temperatures reaching 22 degrees but the sheer amount of people out on the streets really surprised me. The course really suited friends and family who came to watch, I had the same people followed me at 11k, 17k, 26k and 40k. All these parts were relatively close together.

Water stops were every 5k and had lots of water and powerade; they gave out gels at 20k & 30k, with no shortage of anything. The course was flat as a pancake and fast. I must admit at this point I did little training for this marathon so I was hoping for the best on the day. I stayed with the 3.15 group till about 33k until I started to drop off a little. At around that point I started to feel my head get really heavy in the direct sunlight and I started to struggle. At the 35k water station I started to walk for about 8 seconds, the first time I’ve done so in my 3 marathons, so was annoyed but said what the hell and started back running, I walked a further time at 37k for again about 8 seconds and picked it back up by saying the quicker I run this bloody thing the quicker I’m out for a few pints after! The weather started off fine but after about 2 or 2.5 hours it started to get hot. I’ve been running in 12-16 degrees mainly so if it’s 22 degrees after 23 miles that’s surely going to have an effect. I’m probably painting a bad picture of my attempt as nothing up until this point went wrong and I went out in 1.36, my half pb is 1.27 so it was well within myself over the longer distance.

The last 3k were amazing it was like a scene from the Tour de France when spectators close in on the road and only allow runners to pass in single file. It was a bit of an issue for me as I built up some energy from god knows where and was trying to pass as many as I could which was tricky. The finish area is proper postcard material.

After the two stops I suddenly picked up pace and ended up running the last 4k the quickest of the marathon. I had given up on my time after the first time I walked so didn’t bother looking at my overall time until I started running towards the science museums at 41.5K and realised if I picked up my pace I could actually get a pb. Can’t say I took in much of the wonderful finish line which is probably the best marathon finishing line in the world as I was on a massive sprint finish and went over for a new pb in 3.16.

The Valencia marathon was hands down better than both my two previous marathons in Paris and Copenhagen. Paris was dead in places but I never really felt that with Valenica. The city is awesome with the Old Town, the beach, the five impressive buildings by the science museum, food in general was pretty cheap and the weather was amazing for the middle of November.

Was pretty happy afterwards with my lack of training and although I promised myself that Valencia was going to be my last marathon I’ve got it in my head to try just one more which will probably be Hamburg at the end of April. There’s just something about the marathon distance that makes it so intriguing and this time I hope I actually take training seriously and come in at 3.10 or so.

To end I can’t recommend the Valencia marathon high enough, great course, super supporters and lovely city to boot.

Advertisement