Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie Tent Question

Options
  • 16-05-2014 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

looking to buy a tent and while I have a rough idea of what I want based on experience as a kid, I am just wondering if you could offer some advice on the waterproof standard. On all the specs I've read it is measured ...'waterproof up to Xmm' so my question is - for your average Irish weather alternating from glorious sunshine to wet and miserable what's the minimum Xmm that I should look for?

I don't need to be able to withstand every weather, but at the same time don't want to be rained out at the first sign of some rain drops!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

The waterproofness of a tent is measured by hydrostatic head, which the amount of water put on the material before water will pass through. 1500mm is the minimum to be called "waterproof". You can't go by this number alone when buying a tent though, as there are many other factors like shape, design and taping of seems that affect the amount of water let in. The hydrostatic head is measured in a lab not by driving rain on a mountain. 3000mm is generally considered a minimum for outdoors people. The use of the tent is important also, if you are going to a festival for a night a cheap 1500mm will do, if you plan on going to the mountains I would say 5000mm in terms of HH. The amount of euros you have will be a factor too. A good guide is somewhere like Amazon.co.uk. Look at the size and price you want and read the reviews. Ones with little or no reviews are generally expensive or speciality. Most cheap standard ones have plenty or reviews and pro's and con's. If you plan on hiking with it weight is another factor to consider, you don't want to be lugging around solid steel poles, but if car camping that might not be an issue.

Advertisement