Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two routers one network

Options
  • 16-05-2014 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I have an eircom router (ch1) connected to a second router (intellinet ch13) via a Cat5e

At the moment both are running the same SSID, and have encryption off.

My TV is connected via cat 5e to the eircom router, and i can share contact form my phone as long as the phone is connected to the eircom routers wifi (CH1)

How can i make it all appear as one network, so that if my phone is on CH13 and the TV has a direct connection to the router, it will still share as it see's it all as one.

the house is wired for ethernet, each of the four ports on the back of the eircom box connect to various points about the house.

A dumbed down explanation would be appreciated.

(I have a spare eircom router hanging around)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭STEINBERG

why do you have the second router connected?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

pa990 wrote: »
    Hi
    I have an eircom router (ch1) connected to a second router (intellinet ch13) via a Cat5e

At the moment both are running the same SSID, and have encryption off.

My TV is connected via cat 5e to the eircom router, and i can share contact form my phone as long as the phone is connected to the eircom routers wifi (CH1)

How can i make it all appear as one network, so that if my phone is on CH13 and the TV has a direct connection to the router, it will still share as it see's it all as one.

the house is wired for ethernet, each of the four ports on the back of the eircom box connect to various points about the house.

A dumbed down explanation would be appreciated.

(I have a spare eircom router hanging around)

Do you want to extend you wireless signal by using it as an access point?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

You cannot connect two routers and expect everything to just work. Routers 'route' data so you need to know what you are trying to achieve. Typical scenarios are that you 'bridge' one router and allow the other router to do the actual routing, or you modify a second router to act as an access point to the first router. So, what are you trying to achieve by connecting a second router?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

I'm trying to cover a large area.
    One router just won't cover the entire house

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

OK, this may not be all of it, but it's a start. It should work for the spare Eircom router, don't know for the Intellinet

Download a copy of InSSIDer software on to a laptop that's got a wireless connect on it, so that you can check what's going on with your router, and any neighbours routers. Run it before starting and see what's alive.

Eircom router 1 SSID = "Router-1" (IE, whatever you want, with -1 on the end of it )
    make sure that the local IP address is 192.68.0.1, if not, make a note of it, it might be different, depending on the model. If you change it, you will have to log back in again with the new address to finish the changes
    Make sure that local address allocation starts from 192.168.0.10
    Change the channel allocation so that it's not default, based on the results from InSSIDer

Connect a cable to the second router, with nothing else connected to it.

Access the setup page, hopefully 192.168.0.1. but check the manual, it might be 192.168.1.254

Change the local IP address to 192.168.0.2, if you change it and save it, you will have to log in again using that address. Some routers don't save the changes if you don't hit save on each page, so be careful that you don't lose changes you've made.
    change the SSID to "Router-2"
    Set the Wireless password to the same as the Eircom router 1, preferably NOT the Eircom default setting.
    Make sure that DHCP on the second router is OFF.
    Set the second router to a different WiFi channel from the main device, ideally not default, at least 3 channels away from the first unit, depending on the channels that were in use, 11 is bad news as that seems to be used by a lot of routers by default.

Set the admin password so that it's not the default admin.

Save the settings, disconnect the second router, and connect it to the first router, as an ethernet device, NOT using the ADSL port. Some routers the ADSL port can also be used as an ethernet port, but this is not a definite.

Power cycle both routers. Let them sort the allocations out

That should work for you, to see what's working, run inSSIDer again to see if the result is as required

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Advertisement