Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning to play the flute - too young?

Options
  • 16-05-2014 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭

I'm very fond of my niece and this summer I'm thinking of purchasing a special gift for her.

I was thinking of buying her a flute. As a child growing up I always wanted to learn to play an instrument. Unfortunately, that didn't happen.

The question I have though is that she's only 8 yrs old. Is she too young or should I go ahead and get it for her?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

It might be no harm to get her started on recorder first--or perhaps get in touch with a flute teacher for advice. Flute isn't an easy instrument to start to play, so recorder might be a better place to start. Also, recorders are much cheaper than flutes, so it might be a safer option if your niece turns out to have no interest in learning. (I bought my godson a violin six years ago and it's still sitting in a cupboard somewhere having never been played!)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

If you're dead set on getting her a flute, try and get a recurved head (you may need to order this online). At her age, she won't be able to reach or comfortably hold a normal flute.

However, what I'd suggest is starting her on recorder or tinwhistle for a year or two. The fingerings are very similar so it'll greatly help future flute study, and she won't injure herself with an instrument that's not made with her size in mind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭nompere

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    I'm very fond of my niece and this summer I'm thinking of purchasing a special gift for her.

I was thinking of buying her a flute. As a child growing up I always wanted to learn to play an instrument. Unfortunately, that didn't happen.

The question I have though is that she's only 8 yrs old. Is she too young or should I go ahead and get it for her?

Do her parents know you have this in mind? Are they going to be expected to pay for the music lessons for the foreseeable future, or is that something you will pay for as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

nompere wrote: »
    Do her parents know you have this in mind? Are they going to be expected to pay for the music lessons for the foreseeable future, or is that something you will pay for as well?

Yes, I took that into account.

Thanks everyone for the response.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Definitely start her on the recorder, I started learning the recorder in 1st class (aged 7), and started the flute then in 4th class (aged 10). I think any younger and without the recorder experience, I would have found the flute too complicated and may have given up on it too easily.
    For my first year playing the flute, I didn't learn the recorder, but returned to that after a year when more familiar with the flute and also began learning the treble recorder and tin whistle. The recorder is a good basis for a lot of woodwind instruments and a good grounding to have.

• Advertisement
Advertisement