Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drama as stolen ambulance crashes into bus

Options
  • 16-05-2014 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭

Some idiot decided to steal an ambulance from the Lourdes Hospital today and drive it down the Ballymakenny Road and then turn somewhere and drive back towards the hospital. He crashed it into a school bus at Shamrock Villas, looks like he lost control when he hit the speed bump. Luckily the bus had no passengers it was on its way to collect kids from a school.

The bus driver has minor injuries. The driver of the stolen ambulance then had to be cut from it and was taken back to the Lourdes in another ambulance.

So he has badly damaged a bus and ambulance, closed a very busy road (this happened about 1.15 road still closed at 3.25 when I went that way), taken up the use of another ambulance and crew, the fire brigade and the guards. It just makes me so so mad, complete scumbag!

http://droghedalife.com/791/75613/a/drama-as-stolen-ambulance-crashes-into-bus

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

It must be so frustrating for members of the emergency services and then nurses etc to have to treat scum like this with compassion!!! When the right thing to do would be leave him in the gutter where he belongs! Imagine the little scrote sitting up in his hospital bed tonight taking the place of some deserving person, taking an ambulance out of action and costing the tax payer thousands! Infuriating!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Imagine the little scrote sitting up in his hospital bed tonight taking the place of some deserving person, taking an ambulance out of action and costing the tax payer thousands! Infuriating!

Surprisingly, it was actually a 46 year old man. A patient who'd been on a trolley since the day before. Still fighting for his life apparently. If he lives he should face a heavy sentence but this is Ireland. Two years suspended or something like that probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

And now he's endangering more lives with an additional ambulance off the roads until it's repaired.

They should have left the scumbag trapped inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

If he was cut out of the ambulance i doubt it would be repairable. What this man has done is scumbaggery of the highest order considering the risk he may(or will) have posed to so many. But (there always is one) the state of the ambulance fleet is atrocious so at least a new unit will be recieved with cost to the insurance company more than the HSE. He will continue to cost significant amounts of money to the state when he recieves a custodial sentance assuming he recovers sufficiently. I would rather have him washing the ambulabnce fleet, undergo a ride along with the ambulance crew to see what an incredible job the ambulance crews do and the sort of carnage he could have caused to innocent and blameless members of the public. For good measure i would also have him empty and clean every bedpan and commode in the Lourdes for as long as is seen fit. This rather than Mountjoy 5* Hotel for the nations scum:mad:

I should add that it is testament to the professional ethic that those treating him will do so without bias regardless of personal feelings toward this patient!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

Some public bodies don't insure their vehicles, and meet the cost of incidents from their own budget. For example, Dublin Bus.

It's possible that the HSE do the same for their fleet, so it'll be their own budget that's hit for the replacement cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,924 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

gipi wrote: »
    Some public bodies don't insure their vehicles, and meet the cost of incidents from their own budget. For example, Dublin Bus.

It's possible that the HSE do the same for their fleet, so it'll be their own budget that's hit for the replacement cost.

I thought insurance was compulsory. have you a link to that please?

doesnt make sense tbh but I dont know myself. Unless vehicles that travel at speed on a regular with multiple passengers are uninsurable i'd have thought that for the same reason the higher risk of an accident would mean that the sensible thing to do would be to have the vehicle covered to avoid substantial (200k - guess) outlay for replacements

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Some public bodies don't insure their vehicles, and meet the cost of incidents from their own budget. For example, Dublin Bus...
    I thought insurance was compulsory. have you a link to that please?

3rd party insurance is compulsory - as in, if you hit someone else, they can claim from you and you're insured for that liability. Insuring to cover yourself for damage to your own vehicle isn't compulsory.

Well lets hope that any 3rd party policy included theft!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Nesta99 wrote: »
    Well lets hope that any 3rd party policy included theft!

Theft is no good when they got it back - even if damaged!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

3rd party insurance is compulsory - as in, if you hit someone else, they can claim from you and you're insured for that liability. Insuring to cover yourself for damage to your own vehicle isn't compulsory.

State bodies act as self insured in most instances and AFAIK the HSE do just that. This includes but is not exclusive to third party liability under the road traffic act.

gipi is quite correct.

Theft is no good when they got it back - even if damaged!

Good point! Isnt it daft though that the cab has probably been removed in a hardly subtle manner to save a life and the insurance will only pay out a % replacement cost even though the vehicle is probably beyond use. If it were repaired and was again involved in an accident where a passenger is injured there would be outrage and question asked on why it wasnt scrapped. Salvage equipment and removable fittings scrap the rest let the insurance sell the scrap and reimburse Hse rather than pay out a nominal amount and try to claim the remaining 'ambulance' is still worth x euro to the HSE. If the scrap vehicle was worth anything significant you can be sure the Insurers would be quick to grab:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

MugMugs wrote: »
    State bodies act as self insured in most instances and AFAIK the HSE do just that. This includes but is not exclusive to third party liability under the road traffic act.

gipi is quite correct.

Right to a point. They cover insurance such as buildings, employee liability, public liability etc but not motor insurance.
    ESB, HSE and others I know have full motor insurance with standard insurance companies but cover other types themselves. Their excess on motor insurance is much higher than you or I would have however.

Advertisement