Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know what this white stuff is?

• 16-05-2014 5:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭

I have a small greenhouse thingie in my porch where I'm trying to grow a few bits. This morning I found this (Massive picture alert) stuff growing on some of the things. Is it mould? The plant there is cayenne chilis. I also spotted it on a pot of chives. The inside of the greenhouse has a lot of condensation. I'm really new to this growing stuff to eat malarky, so I'm out of my depth. What do I do here? Should I just write off everything inside the greenhouse, now?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

I have a small greenhouse thingie in my porch where I'm trying to grow a few bits. This morning I found this (Massive picture alert) stuff growing on some of the things. Is it mould? The plant there is cayenne chilis. I also spotted it on a pot of chives. The inside of the greenhouse has a lot of condensation. I'm really new to this growing stuff to eat malarky, so I'm out of my depth. What do I do here? Should I just write off everything inside the greenhouse, now?

It looks like some sot of fungus alright...my guess would be that it's caused by too much humidity in the air. Open the porch up for a while and lay off on the watering for a few days..give everything a chance to dry out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Nope, it's just your roots. It needs potting up to a larger pot or at the very least add some more compost to cover them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

I really don't think it's a root, unless the roots of chives are halfway up and look the exact same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Well I didn't know it was half way up your chives. :) It looks exactly like what can happen to a tomato or pepper plant that is getting root bound.
    If you rub it does it just wipe away? If so then you are probably over-watering. Cut back and try to learn when the compost is drying out by lifting the pots and gauging how light they are getting. And only water from the bottom by sitting the pots in a shallow amount of water in a dish. When the surface glistens you have enough. Drain the excess and then leave it be.

Advertisement