Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does This Bird Look A Bit Big ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

It's a young blackbird, probably not long left the nest and now waiting for one of lts parents to turn up and feed it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Zoo4m8 wrote: »
    It's a young blackbird, probably not long left the nest and now waiting for one of lts parents to turn up and feed it..

I see. I did follow it while it was hopping around the garden, and a black medium sized bird with an orange beak landed beside it and the little feller followed it so I left them alone.

Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

You're welcome.. That was the da, the female is very much like the youngster in colour , a very ordinary brown..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Male blackbird is Black yellow beak
    Female Blackbird is brown yellow beak
    Clipboard.jpg

Chick is Brown spotty puffy fluffy with a BROWN Peak like video
    that's a chick probably just left nest waiting for parents
    5690571111_5eefd06e34_z.jpg

They stay in nest(fledging) for average 14 days

After leaving nest the young are fed by the parents for up to three weeks
    quite often the male does if the female is making a new nest or looking after other fledgings

I get tons of blackbirds every year I have noticed after they leave the nest,
    the first few days they are not ready to fly good compared to other birds( blackbirds leave the nest prematurely IMO ) , So they hide in bushes staying still and freezing if you approach just like in video only choosing to run if you get very close. They can be quite tame some of them and if you throw worms down near them they will take them.

Seen one year five chicks following a parent around

Mod edit: Possible copyright issue with one pic, so removed pic, and replaced it with a different pic of a young blackbird.

Amazing, I never new this. I was just a bit worried about cats coming into the garden. Even though my garden is well sealed off, there is a few cats around here, so hope the little feller makes it to his flight when it's ready for it.

• Advertisement

After all this time since I first saw this big bird, I was sitting in the garden earlier on and out pops this same bird from the bushes. It came close to me and tweeted and then fell over on it's side and started twitching, it died right there. Damn shame.

There must have been something wrong with this bird from the start, but I never interfered with it and just thought it was ok as it's parent was with it most of the time feeding it. It was definitely strange the way it appeared out of nowhere after weeks and just tweeted at me and died. :(

Advertisement