Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting work after college

Options
  • 16-05-2014 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Wanted to get some quick opinions on something.

I've finished college now with a computing degree (software) and haven't been offered anything apart from a minimum wage job with a new startup. The startup won't really need a lot of custom coding done, it's more CMS related with maybe some modifications.

Question I wanted to know is - is this a good starting point or do you think its worth waiting for something more related to coding things from scrach/higher paid?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

Accept it and keep looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Jonny Blaze

Snap it up chief. I graduated last June and still haven't been able to get a foot in the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

I'm sure we have 100s of posts on this topic, but what a messed up situation where the industry needs devs but won't employee grads!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭JohnPPP

Smoggy wrote: »
    I'm sure we have 100s of posts on this topic, but what a messed up situation where the industry needs devs but won't employee grads!

Tell me about it. I heard somewhere that there's 2,000 people coming to Ireland to fill the gaps soon (forget where, sorry) but meanwhile grads are sitting around doing nothing.

Ha ha! Yeah I don't really understand it to be honest. I mean even positions advertised as junior or graduate are asking for 1-2 years experience.

About 70% of the time you don't even get an acknowledgement back from places you apply to either!

4 year computer science degree apparently worthless in this market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭JohnPPP

Ha ha! Yeah I don't really understand it to be honest. I mean even positions advertised as junior or graduate are asking for 1-2 years experience.

About 70% of the time you don't even get an acknowledgement back from places you apply to either!

4 year computer science degree apparently worthless in this market.

Sorry to hear that you're finding it hard. Pity that it's so hard yet so many people getting in to the field because "there's loads of jobs".

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

JohnPPP wrote: »
    Question I wanted to know is - is this a good starting point or do you think its worth waiting for something more related to coding things from scrach/higher paid?
    It's a starting point. If it flops, you have some experience. If it goes well, you may be able to trade up to a better job in a year or three. Or you may stay there for a few years.

Thanks mate! Yeah it sucks alright, that's exactly why I got into IT, though it turns out I really enjoy it anyway!

I get the feeling that its a product of the market in Ireland though really.

I'd emigrate in a heartbeat only I can't raise the funds in the first place!

Unless you got very good grades, get some experience before popping on a Bus Eireann Eurolines bus to London on a return ticket.

Yeah that was the plan alright but I don't really know what I can do to make it happen is all.

I've interviewed at places and I interview well, but they always seem to find someone with more experience.

I did an unpaid internship in a start up company but it doesn't seem to have helped me any.

It's just really frustrating!

• Advertisement

I did an unpaid internship in a start up company but it doesn't seem to have helped me any.
    Firstly, don't mention it was unpaid on the CV. Secondly, how long was it for? More or less than six months?

Ah yeah I wouldn't say as much unless asked outright, and I could only keep it up for 4 months as it was costing me to travel and I couldn't really afford to. (75% of my dole goes on rent as it is) Also, since it was a startup, the CEO informed me that it would be a further 12-18 months before they had funding together and there would be any chance of being offered a position.

Not sure about programming, but anything less than 6 months in IT Tech Support is generally not worth much on the CV. If the min wage job is still on the table, take it, and when you have 6 months to a years experience, go looking elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭shanefitz360

When you say you haven't been offered anything, do you mean you are applying to places and they aren't getting back to you?

Can you actually programming to a somewhat professional level? If yes, then how could you even consider taking a minimum wage job doing something you don't want to do?

Don't take it. If you are good, you'll find a job easy enough doing real programming and it will pay decently. If you aren't good, then brush up your skill-set or take a job elsewhere that is offering what you want. Since you don't seem too fused on the money, then maybe looking for a startup job who need some actual programming done is the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

or take a job elsewhere that is offering what you want

I think that's the problem. They can't find any other jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I updated my CV on IrishJob.ie and Monster, and I got a rake of phone calls and interviews. Maybe try that.
    Also, my current place is always hiring but they don't use job agencies, so I think their ads get lost in the Agency Spam on those sites. I suppose one of the issues is actually finding a company thats hiring, since job sites have become crowded with agencies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

If you emigrate, then you're still going to be a graduate competing with the local talent. I'd say to only leave if you've already secured a job abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭SalteeDog

As others have said - take the job and keep looking. Even the most apparently menial work can be a learning experience and although it mightn't come with extra salary, at a start-up there will be opportunities to get stuck in to all sorts of other work.

The problem of jobs for new graduates is a major one. Many companies don't have the luxury of being able to invest in training up an inexperienced resource particularly when budgeting is done on a short-term basis (a year or less) and resource planning is project-based (no projects -> no budget).

Companies that do take on new graduates do so on the basis that they are investing in talent that will produce returns for them years hence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Elessar

It's a pain alright and not looking great for me when I graduate. I had read recently that IT graduates have the highest levels of unemployment in the country against any other graduates. Absolute joke.

Have you any friends in the sector? Maybe ask them to ask their managers if there is anything going. Make sure you have a decent portfolio to show.

If you emigrate, then you're still going to be a graduate competing with the local talent. I'd say to only leave if you've already secured a job abroad.

Thats true enough alright, however i'd argue that its offset by a greater amount of jobs overall in say, the UK.

• Advertisement
Advertisement