Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Third class degree

• 16-05-2014 7:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭

I think i might end up with a qca of below 2.5 so will get a 3rd class degree.
    Has anyone got experience of this or know who.I can turn to for advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

ryanf1 wrote: »
    Has anyone got experience of this or know who.I can turn to for advice?

Go back in time and work harder?

The degree is just one facet of getting a job. You may not have the academic know how but you can still be very good in your chosen discipline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

If doing 4th year again, or at least some modules was an option then its something I might consider, but I dont think it is.
    Your right about the academic know how but in reality with less than a 2:2 an employer wont even read your CV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

but in reality with less than a 2:2 an employer wont even read your CV

Thats bollox.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Never been asked what type of degree I graduated with.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 thirdtime

Stuxnet wrote: »
    Thats bollox.

That's true. In these economic it's tough enough getting a job even with a 2:1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ZomB13 F1Sh

thirdtime wrote: »
    That's true. In these economic it's tough enough getting a job even with a 2:1

Very true look at any job open to business graduated 90% of them are looking for a 2.1 only a few jobs specified that a 2.2 was ok. Ryan get in touch with the SU for advice or your advisor. However don't stress it too much until your results come out there's no point worrying about what's done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

If your third year results were ok, I think it's possible to choose to repeat 4th year. Obviously you're going to be paying fees so it's not a choice to be made lightly. You'd have to look at what degree is possible if you put the head down and did well repeating the year to see if it's worthwhile.

You could also look at doing a taught postgrad e.g. graduate diploma. This is a useful option if you want to broaden your skillset anyway, or move towards a particular area within your field. Again, there are fees but this option gives you 2 qualifications. Be warned though: a taught postgrad is a lot of work compared to your degree, so you need to be prepared to work your ass off.

If neither option appeals, consider having a chat with a recruitment consultant about how to best present your qualifications and skills on a CV. There are plenty of ways to spin what you have achieved if you put in a bit of effort. If you did a good co-op get back to them and see if they'd give you some work again, even if it's just a year. A lot of the time, your degree only matters for the first 2-3 years you're out looking for work. After that it's down to whether or not you've proven you can get the job done.

Has anyone got experience of this or know who.I can turn to for advice?[/

I would advise you to take any work experience starting off. I know some employers take advantage of JobBridge but there are some positions on it that give good work experience.
    With JobBridge the employer takes on less of a risk.

I've been in employment for the last 7 years and the more work experience you have the less important your degree becomes. Remember work experience is king (and I have two Masters degrees).

Also, I don't know What field you're in but skills such as being excellent in Excel, Access, other Databases such as SQL are important, it's amazing just he amount of people who can't use these. There's plenty of videos on YouTube you can also go down to your local FAS office where you can register for their online classes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭IrishSkyBoxer

does anyone even check with the university if you are telling the truth on your CV? doubtful

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

does anyone even check with the university if you are telling the truth on your CV? doubtful

They'll probably want to see a copy of it or your transcript though.

• Advertisement

in all my years I was never asked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Even companies that state they want a graduate with a 2.1 degree are flexible and remember MOST jobs are not graduate jobs. They will care so much more about your actual work experience and the TYPE of degree than a 2.1 versus a 2.2

Advertisement