Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Communion menu planning

• 16-05-2014 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have been committed to catering for a smallish communion party so would appreciate any comments or alternatives to what I've provisionally planned.

Will be catering for 20 adults and children, a significant portion of whom will be hungry country people. I also have an undeserved reputation for "fancy cook" to maintain. We have a bog standard kitchen, so was thinking along these lines:

Buffet style, serving roast beef, poached salmon, chicken wing, various salad and garlic bread.

Night before:
    Make salads (potato, tabouleh, tomato)
    Poach chicken wings
    Make blue cheese dip
    Poach side of salmon
    Prep garlic bread
    Marinate beef (treacle? will be doing some research on this)

Morning:
    Roast beef at very low temperature
    Dress salmon

After communion:
    Serve drinks
    Start roasting wings and garlic bread,
    Lay the table
    Tuck in.

Can anyone see anyone pitfalls, or suggest ingenious alternatives/additions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I would have some chicken fillets as strips or mini fillets too, as "boneless wings" since boned wings might be fiddly for kids but also some people just do not like eating boned food, which can be that its fiddly, fatty, skins, or do not like eating "obvious animals", like peoples aversion to being served fish with the head on. Also the bones might end up all over the place, esp. with kids, while the others are eaten in full.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭phormium

Wouldn't go with the wings either, too messy. Chicken goujons, make your own, freeze ahead and shallow fry and oven for a while in the morning, serve with dips. I have also served little mini meatballs made with pork and some onions, sage etc mixed in, serve with apple sauce dip. Again I make these ahead, freeze and cook on the morning. Also the usual sausages roll, again made ahead with decent sausages. I use the freezer a lot!

I go for all finger food but that's just me, I can't be having people looking for place to sit with plate knife and fork, if you have enough room then the roast beef, salmon & salads cover most people's tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

Thanks for sugestions re. goujons.
    But I know the various children well and would be pretty confident they'll handle the bones ok. A few bones in flowerpots and under the sofa I can deal with - and I LOVE CHICKEN WINGS WITH BLUE CHEESE DIP!
    The roast beef is the current concern. More used to roasting pork and lamb, so did a trial very slow cook http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/treacle_cured_beef_with_35837 (with ribeye instead of fillet), 55 degrees for 4 hours, which was disapointing.
    But comitted to the roast beef so will be doing it at more conventional flash roasting temperatures.
    Alea iacta est,

Advertisement